Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally bumped the stalk and put it in neutral-no power to pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had a problem in the Model S other than one instance of pedal confusion during the first week, but when I drive any other car I now never hit the correct stalk.

I like the column shift arrangement Tesla has a lot. Just like my 1993 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with column shift. Was an easy transition.
I think it is good for us to have to drive cars with a variety of different controls. Keeps the brain sharp! Still nothing like switching between an auto and manual transmission vehicle...

I don't recall if there is such a feature, but one thing that the Model S is happy to report each and every time is pressing both pedals. There is a bling and a message that is easy to notice. It always happens when I'm lazily pressing on the break and my foot touches the other pedal. Perhaps moving to neutral should have a similar bling and a message, if it doesn't already, when pressing gas while in neutral? I'm thinking that could help. I don't recall mine doing that, though.

Upthread there was a post that indicates that Tesla has now added exactly that. Here it is:

Ask and ye shall receive... :)

I recently got the update to 6.1 firmware. Last night when leaving work I was a bit too eager shifting from P to R (car hadn't quite started up yet), so I pressed the accelerator while still in P. Sure enough, triple-beep, and a message along the lines of "Please shift to D or R to drive" appears on the dash! I quickly tried shifting to neutral (while still parked) and got the same message when stepping on the accelerator.

Not nearly as snarky as my earlier suggestions... and likely in the works before this thread even appeared... but much appreciated regardless. :)

Upthread there was a post that indicates that Tesla has now added exactly that. Here it is:

Thank you. Just got 6.1 yesterday and installed today, I can confirm this feature is now there - press gas when on P or when on N, and after a small delay beeps and a message on the dash appears. This is a good change, although I dislike the delay. It would be even better if the message was instantaneous, like pressing both pedals is. Still, a very good and welcome change.