Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally bumped the stalk and put it in neutral-no power to pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little triple-beep and a dashboard message along the lines of "You can't accelerate in Neutral, silly!" would be quite helpful. A fake engine rev sound would be amusing but probably would've scared me even more. :)

A fake engine noise would be hilarious! If the Tesla engineers think it's a little over the top, they could just give it to us only in that Valet mode we're all waiting for.

By the way, now that there's a very plausible explanation for this, should I edit the subject of the post to clarify? What's the etiquette for things like that?

Thanks!

mod note: Changed title to

Accidentally bumped bumped the stalk and put it in neutral-no power to pedal

Is that ok or did you want it to say something else?

@Woland
welcome to the Tesla family. Little mistakes will happen. Glad there is no damage. As we see that has happened to many owners. It's tough bouncing between cars and remembering where everything is.

Thanks Blu Zap, and everyone! Definitely an embarrassing way to start my journey. Thanks for the help and for the camaraderie; this definitely feels like a family. :)

I experienced the same thing with mine, but realized that I had put the car in Neutral without thinking about it when trying to engage the wipers. In fact even though I now know the wipers are on the left, I keep doing it from memory driving my Wife's ICE/Hybrid.

I actually have the reverse problem: I'm constantly turning the wipers on in my wife's ICE when trying to park. She will look and ask what the heck am I doing!

Same thing happened to me after a few days with the car. Was driving slow through a parking lot and bumped the stalk to try to get a "single wipe" from the blades... as that was how it was done in my old car. Next thing I know I'm panicking as my car won't accelerate as I turn down a parking lot aisle. Luckily I realized my mistake pretty quick :)

Ask and ye shall receive... :)

I recently got the update to 6.1 firmware. Last night when leaving work I was a bit too eager shifting from P to R (car hadn't quite started up yet), so I pressed the accelerator while still in P. Sure enough, triple-beep, and a message along the lines of "Please shift to D or R to drive" appears on the dash! I quickly tried shifting to neutral (while still parked) and got the same message when stepping on the accelerator.

Not nearly as snarky as my earlier suggestions... and likely in the works before this thread even appeared... but much appreciated regardless. :)

Ask and ye shall receive... :)

I recently got the update to 6.1 firmware. Last night when leaving work I was a bit too eager shifting from P to R (car hadn't quite started up yet), so I pressed the accelerator while still in P. Sure enough, triple-beep, and a message along the lines of "Please shift to D or R to drive" appears on the dash! I quickly tried shifting to neutral (while still parked) and got the same message when stepping on the accelerator.

Not nearly as snarky as my earlier suggestions... and likely in the works before this thread even appeared... but much appreciated regardless. :)

Nice! Thanks for the update!

The first few weeks I had my MS I accidentally put it in neutral more times than I want to admit. It took me a while to get used to the difference for the turn signal too, I would flip the cruise control bar instead. Old habits take a while to change.

I have made this mistake a few times. This is not the first similar stalk arrangement I've driven, but the nature of the EV makes it significantly less intuitive to use from noticing a mistake perspective. With an ICE, the sound and rumble of the engine is always associated with transmission changes, so your butt and your brain will understand something is wrong before you consciously do. With an EV, you have to pay conscious attention.

The worst was, when the car was still relatively new, I managed to do it - without noticing how or why - when I was driving away from the driveway, car literally in the middle of the road blocking both lanes... and the car refuses to budge when I press the pedal. In an ICE I would hear the engine roar in vain, because it is in neutral, but here simply nothing happens. I started panicking a little, which didn't help, so I didn't immediately realize what was wrong and if I recall my initial attempts to fix it weren't successful either, because I think I may have gotten it to park too, had taken my foot off the break and was pushing gas instead... further confusing things in my panicked mind. I did sort it out after some frenzied seconds and luckily visibility was good at the time and no traffic.

I don't recall if there is such a feature, but one thing that the Model S is happy to report each and every time is pressing both pedals. There is a bling and a message that is easy to notice. It always happens when I'm lazily pressing on the break and my foot touches the other pedal. Perhaps moving to neutral should have a similar bling and a message, if it doesn't already, when pressing gas while in neutral? I'm thinking that could help. I don't recall mine doing that, though.