Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accept or Reject?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I’m conflicted. What do you all think about this issues on my car? Would you accept delivery of this? Otherwise the panel gaps are even, the panels are flush with each other (mostly/close enough), seals looks good. So overall the car is in good shape, but it may take some work to correct these. I haven’t checked the inside yet though (today isn’t my delivery date).

9a30080a-39ab-484f-8ec3-80f966f012fe-jpeg.905196
97f3f3dd-3507-47d5-8b4e-f5584e19b1dd-jpeg.905197
d70675a3-d167-40fa-ad82-7e56e7335bc2-jpeg.905198
18531727-f529-4ce3-aae7-8c99f4600643-jpeg.905199
390551b8-4ea8-4090-a86d-0ad6ec3b0203-jpeg.905200
c7c6a9eb-b3e9-4578-b16f-deb40bcba9c2-jpeg.905201

On that last one, it’s much easier to see in video vs. a still image. Is that rippling in the clear coat?

Last edited:
are you literally at the SC right now posting this to decide whether you should accept or not?

Thankfully no. My delivery isn't today, but I swung by and I got there just after it was pulled off the carrier. I was checking out the exterior without any rush.

Neither my S or 3 had any issue like this, just minor adjustment stuff and tweaks.

Personally I take my new car in for paint correction and ceramic anyways so a lot of these things will probably disappear after I did that. You only get one rejection before you'd have to cancel your order if the 2nd car is worse. If you are willing to risk the 2nd car being worse and okay with losing $250 and going back of the line (we are now seeing new EDDs push well into May) then reject it. If the tax credit is important to you then I wouldn't reject that one.

It isn't an easy decision but it really comes down to how you feel about those imperfections and the risks you are willing to take with the 2nd Vin and delivery delay.

Reactions: WyoDude and Cyclone
Wow, I wouldn't accept this. If I were buying a Toyota, this wouldn't even be a question. I wonder why we as the consumer continue to let Tesla get away with such poor QC. I'm scheduled to pick up my Y on Monday so I'm hoping for the best.
As long as customers keep taking delivery of cars with problems this will continue. Kind of like spam email or phone calls, the tactics work enough of the time to make it worth it.

Wow, I wouldn't accept this. If I were buying a Toyota, this wouldn't even be a question. I wonder why we as the consumer continue to let Tesla get away with such poor QC. I'm scheduled to pick up my Y on Monday so I'm hoping for the best.
Totally agree. There are people on this forum who will tell you that it's nothing and you should just accept the car and enjoy it. No. This is another example of Tesla disrespecting consumers.

They've been getting away with this poor quality for years now because we accept the flaws and then
must worry if they will fix them correctly (or at all - "within specs").
My MYP has edd of March and super concerned about what it will look like (I'm REALLY fussy).
I would reject delivery if it looked like the o/p shows.

Today I took delivery of my car. I was very surprised to see that the scratches indeed come out with some buffing. I really thought this would lead to needing a repaint, but thankfully didn't. The "rippling" wasn't what it seemed in the sunlight after the car was detailed. It has some orange peel texture in some areas. I checked about a dozen others and they all had the same effect. I did get in touch with my detailer who said every Tesla he has seen had that, but he was able to resolve it when color correcting. The light panel was realigned and glued down, the charge port adjusted to be fully flush.

What didn't get fixed are the two pits. However, they are basically unnoticeable and Tesla is otherwise making it right. Ultimately, given that the panels all aligned properly, the doors work well, the fit and finish was ok (great by Tesla standards, poor by Lexus's), and the ever increasing EDD others were getting, I decided to move forward with this. So now we are a 3 Tesla family, with this being the only one that had any issues.

97f3f3dd-3507-47d5-8b4e-f5584e19b1dd-jpeg.905197
d70675a3-d167-40fa-ad82-7e56e7335bc2-jpeg.905198

Reactions: 3YMimi73