Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, you need to do a bit more research.

Are you talking to yourself now?

I'm the one presenting facts and sources, you're the one who keeps presenting... literally nothing but disagreement.

I cited a direct source from Tesla proving there's no VIN distinction for the 980.

You replied by asking how anybody can know if there's any VIN distinction for the 980.

You ought to be embarrassed but probably haven't read far enough into the post to realize it.

Seriously.......I'm not trying to fight or be unkind but you are making assumptions.

True.

I assumed you were actually reading the facts and source debunking your claims.

My bad.

Are you talking to yourself now?

I'm the one presenting facts and sources, you're the one who keeps presenting... literally nothing but disagreement.

I cited a direct source from Tesla proving there's no VIN distinction for the 980.

You replied by insisting we don't know if there's any VIN distinction for the 980.

You ought to be embarrassed but probably haven't read far enough into the post to realize it.

True.

I assumed you were actually reading the facts and source debunking your claims.

My bad.

You are presenting your interpretation of facts, nothing more.

And must be correct under penalty of perjury.

Why would Tesla submit faked data to make the 2 parts "appear" different if they're not different in an obscure government database which they'd face civil and criminal penalties for lying about?

Because they're not listing the "parts" specifically for this purpose but the car itself and the car does differ. It's like if you have an ICE car that's ECU limited, you submit the ECU limited numbers to the EPA not the Chipped numbers

And if the two parts actually measured identically in testing I might find that persuasive. They don't though.

(significantly more in depth discussion of that available in some of the "range" related threads)

Every test I've seen has been done in the car so it's limited by the motor control software. Show me any bench test of their capabilities with the software out of the way

My opinion is 990 is just a revision motor. Doesn’t mean it’s cheaper to produce or produce less power.

Yes, it does.

The fact the P still comes with the 980 tells us both of those things.

If the 990 were the same price, just as capable, and "revised" to be better- the P would be using it.

If the 990 were cheaper AND just as capable- the P would be using it.

If the 990 were more expensive and just as capable- the P would be using it and the AWD would not be

The only combo that fits with the fact the P does not use it but AWD does is:

Cheaper and less capable than 980.

I’ve read somewhere either on this thread or the other thread “awd owners who want a p3d-“ that one customer has his 980 replaced with a 990

No, you didn't.

You read that someone said his P motor was replace and the service guy didn't tell him it was replaced with one of the "special" motors.

No part numbers were mentioned- it read as if the owner had bought into the "There's a magic special P 980 despite the utter lack of evidence one exists" idea and was upset the parts guy debunked his misunderstanding by giving him a "regular" 980.

so that tells me it might not be much difference between the two. And secondly, a lot of UK customer got their M3 awd upgraded to p3d- due to delivery issues (should be 990 motors).

They're not.

Every P ever posted in that big thread you cite is a 980. Including europe ones.

By all means if you can link to an except please do so- but AFAIK every P every has a 980 in it.

If anyone wants to check and see which motor you have....remove your tire and look at this plate.

No need to do that. You can snap a pic through the wheel well with tire still on car.

• Disagree
Reactions: CMoZ
Where is the part posted about the vin clarification?

The part where I mention the 980 in the parts catalog explicitly states no VIN is required to order one.

Which it would be if the part was VIN-specific, or there were different variants for different VINs (which IS the case for some parts- but not the model 3 drive units).

Tesla parts catalog said:
ASY,M3,REAR 3DU,MOSFET,GLOBAL
1120980-00-G Over-the-Counter(No VIN)

Bold added since you appear to have missed when this was mentioned previously.

You just go to the parts counter and order the 980 DU.

They don't ask, or care, if your car is an AWD or P or RWD.

Since they're all the same 980 DU...and there's no "special magic" 980 that is just for Ps.

If anyone wants to check and see which motor you have....remove your tire and look at this plate.

img_20181110_130649_2-jpg.366067

d5bac25f-ca8b-4cb2-8909-330e0104ca03-jpeg.366098

This is from a P3D+ from Oct 2018.

37aea53a-90f5-4657-bbe0-3a560c26ddd0-jpeg.366661
You could just stick your phone behind your LR tire and take a picture, and hope you framed it right.

• Funny
Reactions: Skione65
Yes, it does.

The fact the P still comes with the 980 tells us both of those things.

If the 990 were the same price, just as capable, and "revised" to be better- the P would be using it.

If the 990 were cheaper AND just as capable- the P would be using it.

If the 990 were more expensive and just as capable- the P would be using it and the AWD would not be

The only combo that fits with the fact the P does not use it but AWD does is:

Cheaper and less capable than 980.

You're just flat out wrong I've literally seen this there are tons of part numbers that differ but are the same functionally. Literally if they changed anything in the "design" of the part the part number would have to change eg a different metal, if the fasteners changed, if the casting changed even slightly if they updated the connector. A part number change does not necessarily denote a change in cost or performance characteristics. Part numbering is "Design" specific if you have 2 part numbers that match the entire design should be identical

The part where I mention the 980 in the parts catalog explicitly states no VIN is required to order one.

Which it would be if the part was VIN-specific, or there were different variants for different VINs (which IS the case for some parts- but not the model 3 drive units).

Bold added since you appear to have missed when this was mentioned previously.

You just go to the parts counter and order the 980 DU.

They don't ask, or care, if your car is an AWD or P or RWD.

Since they're all the same 980 DU...and there's no "special magic" 980 that is just for Ps.

Yes, varified, no vin stated on the online parts catalog.

Rather than a grand conspiracy theory a simple explanation would be that they intended from the beginning to use a less expensive motor in the non P AWD, but they were in production hell and had far bigger problems to deal with at the time. Rather than testing and validating a less expensive rear motor, they simply used the same motor in LR, LR AWD and LR AWDP at the start.

Later when things calmed down they were able to finally validate the new rear motor for AWD and save some cash on every AWD non P. It must save enough money to have it produced and stocked separately, or they would not bother changing it out.

This topic and future similar topics is no longer open for replies. :D

You’ve missed the point entirely.

No, I havent. its your opinion that the best way to handle this is to let everyone create separate threads, and then have each individual person figure out how to filter out by tags etc, even if the people did not tag their threads.

its my opinion that a "few" threads on the same topic is fine, but when a topic incites people to make so many threads they would take over the entire front page (like this one), or, for another similar situation, the "I lost 4 miles of range on my battery, has anyone else seen this problem?!?!?!" threads, they should be consolodated so that people who want to actually participate in that discussion can, and those that dont, dont need to stop visiting the site or figure out how to filter, etc.

We just have different opinions on the topic, but no, I have not missed your point at all.

Reactions: ZappCatt
You're just flat out wrong

I'm provably not though.

I've literally seen this there are tons of part numbers that differ but are the same functionally.

But EPA docs confirm they aren't the same functionally.

If you can cite any place in the Tesla parts catalog though where functionally identical parts for the same vehicle have different PNs- please do so.

Literally if they changed anything in the "design" of the part the part number would have to change

Tesla uses revision codes for minor, non-functionality, changes.

The current 980 is revision G for example. You can't order anything less than G, because that's the current part- but revisions have been made all along the way that don't change the functionality (but might improve long term reliability- or easy of service, or might be as simple as "using screws from a different, cheaper vendor"

The actual core PN only changes if the part is not functionally the same thing (to avoid, say, the wrong replacement part going into a vehicle)

Again, the 990 appears only in AWD non-P cars- starting early 2019.

And it has a different EPA rating than the 980. Even in the same car (AWD non P).

It's a different part.

Once we know this, and the fact it's NOT used in the P, we know that:

It's cheaper to make (otherwise why bother with it existing?)

It's less capable than the 980 (otherwise why not use it in the P to save money?)

I don't see any technical barriers in why Tesla can't offer performance-on-demand: There's a toggle in the UI to let you opt-in and out of better performance at any time. That way, I can toggle that on and get <my stock 0-60 time - .5 sec> when I go to a track (or when I wanna show the <insert the make/model you despise the most here> next to me who's the boss), and toggle that off when I drive my kids to school. Tesla can charge per-day or per-trip. $10 a day is a fair price, IMHO. Heck, they can even provide multiple performance tiers/durations with different pricing. I'd pay $50 a day for sub-3s 0-60 just to experience what it feels like. :)

Ugh, this sounds like a terrible idea. I'm already annoyed that a lot of software these days is paid for by subscription only (i.e., you cannot buy it) and don't get me started on streaming music vs. owning your own media, but if Tesla starts making me subscribe to horsepower I'm outa here.