Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I have no proof him flat out lying about anything yet, however to stay on topic.....I wonder which of these 3 rear motors ( part 1 ) is to be associated with power boost.

3dus-png.365762

The 970 has never been used in ANY model 3 to my knowledge.

(folks expected it'd show up as the SR motor- but they also got the 980 weirdly)

Anyway- of the other 2, both the 980 (2018 AWD production, same DU as the P and everything else got in 2018) and the 990 (AWD production starting earlyish 2019 and through to today) can get this acceleration boost.

The question folks seem to be unclear on is if the 980 folks could've gotten a "full" P upgrade- and the answer is yes since the parts are the same parts as the P3D- have.

The 990 folks that's not true for- the 990 is a physically different part- which we also know for a fact.

not just that it has a new PN, but the EPA efficiency rating is different for the 990 vs the 980 cars.

Why is everybody under the impression that the 990 units are not as capable as the 980 units. Does any evidence exist?

Basic logic tells us this.

If the 990 were just as capable, and cheaper, the P would use it

It doesn't.

If the 990 were just as capable and not cheaper, it wouldn't exist. They'd just keep using the 980 in everything.

So this tells us two things:

The only reason the 990 would exist and be in use is if it's cheaper than the 980
AND
The only reason cheaper but NOT used in the P is it's not as capable as the 980.

Has anyone purchased this yet? Do you feel it's worth it going from 4.4 to 3.9 0-60 or whatever it is?
The size of this thread alone (45 pages in only about 2-2 1/2 days) tells us that simply would not have kept the forum from being overrun with posts on this topic.

Yeah, it's been a little frustrating to find threads merged and moved into sub forums which makes them hidden away. This is a huge topic and needs visibility. It is tough being a moderator though as having 100 separate threads would just clutter the place up. Probably makes more sense (to me at least) to keep this thread in the Model 3 overall forum instead of having it hidden away in a subforum.

3.7 from 4.1 in real world driving doesn't seem worth $2000 to me. Now, if it dropped to 3.5 or quicker, then maybe...(and even then it wouldn't offer much benefit in real world driving).

It's quicker than 3.5 if you are using 1 foot rollout to measure (as Tesla does today with the P models only- and US car mags typically do when they measure any car).

I know owners' 0-60 tests have been published in forums and blogs, but for those like me who don't follow them closely (or are too lazy to drill deeper into Google...like me), would you please provide links to the published reports of the numbers you mentioned?

They're widely available on this forum too.

For example from this boost- a 1/4 mile run:
For AWD owners wanting a P3D-
and 1/8th mile run at 7.67
And a 0-60 run at 3.73 no rollout, 3.48 with rollout

Yes, I have questions:
1. Does it affect range?
2. Does it affect durability?
3. Does it affect AWD driving stability in adverse weather?
These are opinions and not facts, and I certainly would like to hear what others think...
1. It could, depending on how hard you drive. I'm not sure I've seen any throttle vs power delivery maps whereby the P cars deliver more power at all levels of throttle input. I would think it would just be a difference in those full throttle and almost full throttle scenarios.
2. Likely yes - if you're always running more peak power through the motors and electronics, they'll likely no last as long, all things being equal.
3. Doubtful - I think power would be cut and stability control would kick in so that you don't see the "boosted" power in adverse weather. I was a little bit agressive in my dual motor going around an offramp this morning and the car skidded a bit and cut almost all power until it straighted out and regained traction.

I have another theory as well, Tesla is testing the 990 motors with this boost, will test it out long term and see how the 990 survives and performs then bump the performance a tad bit more knowing that it won’t hurt the 990 and that it could handle more.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Anyway- of the other 2, both the 980 (2018 AWD production, same DU as the P and everything else got in 2018) and the 990 (AWD production starting earlyish 2019 and through to today) can get this acceleration boost.

The question folks seem to be unclear on is if the 980 folks could've gotten a "full" P upgrade- and the answer is yes since the parts are the same parts as the P3D- have.

The 990 folks that's not true for- the 990 is a physically different part- which we also know for a fact.

not just that it has a new PN, but the EPA efficiency rating is different for the 990 vs the 980 cars.

You do not know that these motors are physically different or the same, all you know is that 980 is the same number as 980 and 990 is the same number as 990. The rest is pure speculation. Now can we discuss panel gaps?

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Except, they're not.

FSD was only on sale once- ever- below the pricing commitment- and they admitted it was a mistake, pulled it, and said they're not ever going to repeat such a mistake.

People also say we never landed on the moon.

Doesn't change the fact that AWD and P3D- got the same physical parts for 2018 and part of 2019- and Teslas own parts catalog confirms that.

I did.

All the AWD cars that were after-the-fact upgraded via software to a P had a 980 drive unit.

Because a 980 is a 980.

If the rear DU in your car dies and it's a 980- and you go order a replacement- Tesla does not ask or care if your car was a P or not.

Which directly disproves the idea there's some "special" version of the 980 that Ps get.

There isn't, and they don't.

Again teslas own catalog confirms this fact

There's no "speculation" here at all- just facts you can read for yourself in the catalog.

Never have I said they drives are different and your repeated part theories are useless. Why bring up part numbers? All the rear drives and inverters have been the same. Let me tell you Tesla part numbers are sometimes manipulated for reasons you may not understand but that's a long story. Don't get your info from the internet or parts catalogs it's just not a good source, I don't ever. Tesla's price on FSD was no mistake, don't be fooled. They also misrepresent reductions in price, If people only knew the BS the "Post S" Tesla uses it would make their heads spin. There is a group of Tesla owners that will buy anything fed to them at any price, if this were not the case you would see MUCH lower pricing on these upgrades. Tesla uses very primitive ways to test demand levers, it works like a charm. More to come....

You do not know that these motors are physically different or the same

I mean, I do though.

And even pointed out the numerous places you can confirm these facts for yourself from both Tesla (that there's no special version of the 980 for the P) and the EPA (that the 980 and 990 are NOT the same part).

Where, specifically, are you getting lost?

I mean, I do though.

And even pointed out the numerous places you can confirm these facts for yourself from both Tesla (that there's no special version of the 980 for the P) and the EPA (that the 980 and 990 are NOT the same part).

Where, specifically, are you getting lost?

You are missing the point of parts and parts numbers, not to mention the myriad other factors that fall out from there........the path of assumptions is paved with shards........

I have another theory as well, Tesla is testing the 990 motors with this boost, will test it out long term and see how the 990 survives and performs then bump the performance a tad bit more knowing that it won’t hurt the 990 and that it could handle more.

What? The peak power is lower on the rear motor after acceleration boost than on the original AWD.
Peak power is up 25% on front motor and down 5% on the rear to give a more balanced power delivery.

Yes, I have questions:
1. Does it affect range?
2. Does it affect durability?
3. Does it affect AWD driving stability in adverse weather?

Would be nice to get a little discussion / opinions on these type of questions
Kind of tired of the motor debate going on and on with no end.
Would be even better if Tesla provided this as part of the sales process of selling a $2000 mod.

Is more power to the front true throughout the acceleration range or only kick in under heavy acceleration? Knowing that would help answer these questions.

I did buy the upgrade, below are my opinions (which are from someone who knows nothing)

1.) It will affect range if you mash the pedal ; most definitely. You now have more power available. I don't see why efficiency would be worse if you drive conservatively, stay light on the pedal. Bigger question if you purposely drive efficiently is it the same or is it better since the upgrade sends much more power to the front wheels now? EPA got better range in their tests out of the 3P- on 18's this year than the regular AWD and maybe it is for that reason? Or maybe the AWD had 19's on it that they tested? Not sure anyone knows because Tesla provides nothing on this.

2.) Should not have a major affect on durability. I think that is why this upgrade is fairly conservative ; only getting half way to the Performance. The rear motor power has been reduced a little so definitely no durability concerns there, the front motor now gets more but don't see why it cannot handle it. Outside of the motors the Performance and AWD are the same parts so it can obviously handle halfway to P power increase.
If they did push to full performance if the rear motor can handle it I think the durability concern would be more of a factor here.

3.) My uneducated guess would be stability should actually be improved given the front wheels are now getting more power than before. Seems like that would be a benefit to this upgrade for adverse weather conditions.

Other questions:

Tire Tread Life: obviously if you mash the pedal you will go through tires faster now with more power underfoot. But again if you drive very conservatively does more power now to the front = more even wear across tires and less need for rotation?

Last edited:
Does anyone have all the numbers in terms of canbus or other outputs that would help show the actual differences between P cars and AWD+ cars? From what I could gather, the identical front motors still are held back at the AWD+ level by 10kw. The rear motors are held back by at least 10kw as evidenced by the decrease in max power output from the pre-"boosted" numbers. Therefore, the delta in current AWD+ vs P cars should be between 0-15KW (or 0-20HP) entirely coming from the rear motor, instead of the 25+ we see now. In my humble opinion, Tesla is using software to play with the numbers to put a firm half second in between the P and AWD+ cars, even though hardware and existing numbers show the delta is probably about 0.0 to 0.2 seconds tops.

Power P3D AWD+ AWD
Front 186KW 176KW 140KW
Rear 246KW 221KW 231KW
Total 416KW 371KW 332KW
Tot(HP) 558hp 497hp 447hp

You are missing the point of parts and parts numbers, not to mention the myriad other factors that fall out from there........the path of assumptions is paved with shards........

I notice keep citing facts and sources and you keep incorrectly calling them asusmptions, while presenting zero sources or facts of your own that in any way disagree with my statements.

So the only assumptions in this entire debate appears to be that you're effectively making... whatever point it is you think you're trying to make.

A 980 is a 980.

If your Tesla with a 980 dies, you order the same replacement part regardless of if your car is a P, AWD, or even RWD.

This would not be the case if there were "special" 980s that were certified for P use versus "regular" 980s.

So no, we know for a fact there's no "special" 980 for Ps.

No assumptions there at all.

Likewise we know for a fact the 990 is a different part because the efficiency testing done by EPA proves that compared to the 980 results.

No assumptions there at all.

Reactions: Phlier
This might be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the acceleration boost upgrade either on the website or app. I have a 9/18 AWD build on 2019.40.2.1 and received an email from Tesla about it. But under Upgrades on the website, I only see the FSD option. Nothing about acceleration boost. App is 3.10.3, but no upgrade link that I can find. Anyone else not seeing the acceleration boost option?

Does anyone have all the numbers in terms of canbus or other outputs that would help show the actual differences between P cars and AWD+ cars? From what I could gather, the identical front motors still are held back at the AWD+ level by 10kw. The rear motors are held back by at least 10kw as evidenced by the decrease in max power output from the pre-"boosted" numbers. Therefore, the delta in current AWD+ vs P cars should be between 0-15KW (or 0-20HP) entirely coming from the rear motor, instead of the 25+ we see now. In my humble opinion, Tesla is using software to play with the numbers to put a firm half second in between the P and AWD+ cars, even though hardware and existing numbers show the delta is probably about 0.0 to 0.2 seconds tops.

Power P3D AWD+ AWD
Front 186KW 176KW 140KW
Rear 246KW 221KW 231KW
Total 416KW 371KW 332KW
Tot(HP) 558hp 497hp 447hp

Yeah I think there is no question that Telsa is controlling via software exactly how much power the car is getting and the AWD is still capable of more.
Maybe it will mean future for sale boosts?
Maybe we will get a few more small 5% type boosts for free in the future?
Maybe they purposely want to have this exact difference to separate the Performance models and will always try and maintain it.

This might be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the acceleration boost upgrade either on the website or app. I have a 9/18 AWD build on 2019.40.2.1 and received an email from Tesla about it. But under Upgrades on the website, I only see the FSD option. Nothing about acceleration boost. App is 3.10.3, but no upgrade link that I can find. Anyone else not seeing the acceleration boost option?

Looks like you will be placing a call to customer service today.

Try this. If you have an iPhone, go to the App Store, search for the Tesla app, and hit the update button (I don't know why it doesn't update the way other apps do). Then launch the Tesla app and you should see the upgrade option there. If not, log out of the app, quit it, restart your phone, and try again.