Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull trigger: P85D to Raven Performance S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've really enjoyed my early (Dec '14) P85D. It's got 63k miles and has been nearly bullet proof. Now, I have a deposit down on a Raven Performance S (also shifting from Pearl White to Blue for the color). Questions:

* anyone else make a similar upgrade?
* If so, will I notice a real world difference (I know the motors, suspension, etc have been improved)?

Any thoughts / feedback appreciated.

Yes me too. Currently looking at end of month inventory or ordering. want to have the extra range for a long trip that I regularly make. If it weren’t for that trip I would definitely keep the P85DL and enjoy the pano roof, the 54 mph/80 amp dual chargers, plus suspension and the rear seat pax love the next gen rear seats with bolsters, and old style awesome headlights before they went to lame LEDs. Larger frunk. All stuff that you can’t get any more.

I took an extended test drive of a raven, and it was nice, but if weren’t for the range I would definitely keep the P85DL When I gave back the raven and drove the P85D the old plus suspension just felt like home.

It’s a tough call.

I've really enjoyed my early (Dec '14) P85D
Was it a P85DL? If not, the difference in acceleration and driveability will be massive.
New suspension is also a big step forward.
Power consumption noticeably lower.
That said, gaswalla is right- a second hand P85DL is a fabulous buy!
Edit- I think the headlights are different too- ie better than the LEDs that first appeared in the facelift versions. Can't remember the P85D's headlights all that well but i think the LEDs are "good enough" now. Not SOTA, that's for sure...

This is helpful. My P85D is not an L. i didn't see the value in the $5k retrofit at the time.

bhzmark - like you I enjoy the sport suspension, next gen (leather) seats, etc. I didn't realize the LED headlights weren't considered as good. I really like the brightness of my current ones. The increased range on the Raven would be nice but I'd only need it a handful of times per year.

Decisions, Decisions...I have a deposit down on a new inventory car in Blue over black/carbon. Just struggling with whether or not I'll really appreciate the upgrades. delivery is tomorrow evening but I'm on the fence.

Don’t trade your P85D. Sell it yourself (not CarMax) and you will get more. Tesla lowballs trade-ins.

Depends. I got a very reasonable trade in offer compared to what I was asking for privately. Trade in would only cost me about 2k but save me hours of cleaning up my car and texting and screening the time wasters and joy riders and test drives and cashiers check and the various hassle of private party sale. Still looking at all options.

I did P90DL facelift to raven perf ludicrous last month.

- Seats have more cushion, more plush
- Ride is smoother - less jarring impacts, generally better ride
- Screen and all functions on it is way way faster. Basically - it’s not supposed to load/lag, it’s now instant. iPhone 6s vs 11 pro.
- Faster, noticeably
- Build quality better, but still panel gaps, still minor things like my front plate holder came knicked up (it’s coming off ASAP anyway)

All in all doesn’t feel like a new model as much as a newer version of the same car. As expected.

I've really enjoyed my early (Dec '14) P85D. It's got 63k miles and has been nearly bullet proof. Now, I have a deposit down on a Raven Performance S (also shifting from Pearl White to Blue for the color). Questions:

* anyone else make a similar upgrade?
* If so, will I notice a real world difference (I know the motors, suspension, etc have been improved)?

Any thoughts / feedback appreciated.
what did you think of the raven suspension vs. the plus sus. in your old p85d?

Reactions: HankLloydRight