Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to buy my first Tesla. What shoud I look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like I might be buying my first Tesla before the end of the year. My wife and I are interested in a new long-range Model Y to replace her Mazda CX-5.

I wanted to ask you guys if there's anyting I need to look out for during the ordering/purchasing process.

I'm already making plans for installing the Tesla charger in the garage (I'm comfortable installing new curcuits, including 240v 2-phase circuits,) so that's taken care of.

I'm aware of the US tax credit that expires at the end of the year. No one seems to know what's going to replace it, if anything, in 2024.

I just learned yesterday that Texas has a $2500 rebate running until March of next year for qualifying EV purchases (the Model Y qualifies,) sweetening the deal just a little bit more.

Anything else I need to think about?

Reactions: Big Earl
Where did you see the US tax credit is expiring at the end of the year? Information I have says the battery sourcing impacts if you get the full amount next year. LR has a Giga Nevada battery and should retain the full credit. Also in 2024 it becomes a point of sale discount. The RWD battery will see the credit halved.

Reactions: Msicario
I had to chime in, your Mazda CX-5 is a great SUV! Like everyone else mentioned in this post there a "Tesla Tax" added to your insurance premium. If I were you, I'd payoff the Mazda CX-5 and call it a day. The first day you get your Tesla, you'll be posting here about why does this make this noise, why doesn't this line up, why do I have to replace my tires so soon... Please let me know how many issues you had with your Mazda CX-5 since you purchased it. I am sure you had ZERO issues and you've loved having that SUV. I bet I am right. Rant over.

Use Waitingfortesla.com and try to snipe a deal on a discounted or demo car. You can save several thousand that way, but you have to keep watching the page and filter it by cars in states you're allowed to buy from.

Also, we only have single phase power in the united states in nearly all homes. It's single phase 240v, with a center neutral tap to allow for 120v. If using 6/2 NM/B wire, then use a 50amp breaker and commission it for a 50 amp breaker during setup. If using 6guage THHN or MC wire, then you can use a 60amp breaker. If using 4 guage NM/B wire, you can use a 60 amp breaker. 6/2 was cheapest and resonably priced for me. Using a 50 amp breaker, the car charges at 40 amps, and the longest it's ever taken to charage was about 8 hours. So it always charges overnight regardless, so there's no real need to use a 60 amp breaker. 50 amp breaker is fine.

100% agree, he had to get it in silver but wanted gray. But starting to love the gray. Also interior is a vast improvement from his old Mazda 3.

20230925_223240.jpg

Reactions: kaizen099
Hi Tesla owners,

I humbly seek for some valuable advice from you. I am very new to the Tesla World and/or EVs.

I am about to order a 2023 Model Y shipped from Shanghai. I am concerned about the built quality that was mentioned online a lot in the past: body panel gaps, interior finish material and finish quality, less secure and sturdy ride feel compared to vehicles in the same price range, and doors and trunks don't offer a sturdy feel when being open and closed like a Toyota vehicle, etc.

What happens if I find any defects, even small cosmetic ones, during the delivery process? Do they rectify right away? Can I ask Tesla to replace the vehicle with another one if I am dissatisfied during the delivery?

I think EVs overcame many issues, they are now safe choices to purchase for a family and to drive for a long time. But some of my family members and friends are trying to convince us otherwise and say that we will regret it because the value will depreciate so quickly as tech for EVs will develop so fast so we will start to have way better EVs around in the next 2~3 years. I agree with them up to some degree but then how long is enough time to wait? What is your advice based on your experience? Should I wait longer to purchase a Model Y or an EV?

What I am concerned about more is repairs, in case of an accident and/or warranty repairs. Do you have any experience to share?

We live in BC, Canada. We hang out a lot in Richmond, I work in South Vancouver and will drive it to work from time to time. Some of my family live in Burnaby and Coquitlam areas (somewhat hilly). We take very few road trips to up north so we don't need a long driving range. I think RWD is good enough for us but my wife wants an AWD because she doesn't want to deal with snow tires. Is RWD okay or do you recommend AWD even just for the longer range alone?

Thank you for your time and advice in advance.

Hi Tesla owners,

I humbly seek for some valuable advice from you. I am very new to the Tesla World and/or EVs.

I am about to order a 2023 Model Y shipped from Shanghai. I am concerned about the built quality that was mentioned online a lot in the past: body panel gaps, interior finish material and finish quality, less secure and sturdy ride feel compared to vehicles in the same price range, and doors and trunks don't offer a sturdy feel when being open and closed like a Toyota vehicle, etc.

What happens if I find any defects, even small cosmetic ones, during the delivery process? Do they rectify right away? Can I ask Tesla to replace the vehicle with another one if I am dissatisfied during the delivery?

I think EVs overcame many issues, they are now safe choices to purchase for a family and to drive for a long time. But some of my family members and friends are trying to convince us otherwise and say that we will regret it because the value will depreciate so quickly as tech for EVs will develop so fast so we will start to have way better EVs around in the next 2~3 years. I agree with them up to some degree but then how long is enough time to wait? What is your advice based on your experience? Should I wait longer to purchase a Model Y or an EV?

What I am concerned about more is repairs, in case of an accident and/or warranty repairs. Do you have any experience to share?

We live in BC, Canada. We hang out a lot in Richmond, I work in South Vancouver and will drive it to work from time to time. Some of my family live in Burnaby and Coquitlam areas (somewhat hilly). We take very few road trips to up north so we don't need a long driving range. I think RWD is good enough for us but my wife wants an AWD because she doesn't want to deal with snow tires. Is RWD okay or do you recommend AWD even just for the longer range alone?

Thank you for your time and advice in advance.
I can answer some of the above questions.

I have a Shanghai built Model Y for three months now. I have zero quality issues (touchwood), panel gaps are decently even.
I am very very happy with it. Feels solid!

From what I have heard that the Shanghai and Berlin builds are better in quality control than the ones built in North America.

I do not think Tesla will just let you replace the vehicle for some panel gaps.

Cheers,
N

Use referral code and get free supercharge for 6 months and some $ discount.
Make sure you do qualify for that credit from Texas
Make sure they dont try to give you an existing demo car or something like that.
Don’t get too carried away with babying the car.
I made the same move from a cx-5 reserve to the MY. Best decision ever

Reactions: NCRiderSW
The Texas $2500 is questionable because the car isn’t purchased from a licensed in state dealer.

LDPLIP. Don't know how much is available. Statutory limit is only 2000 BEV/PHEV/HFCV.

2.5 Additional Criteria
a. Vehicles purchased directly from or through an out-of-state franchised dealer are
not eligible for this grant.

The word franchised is key. Since Tesla does not have franchised dealers, Tesla purchases should be eligible.

Last edited:
I can answer some of the above questions.

I have a Shanghai built Model Y for three months now. I have zero quality issues (touchwood), panel gaps are decently even.
I am very very happy with it. Feels solid!

From what I have heard that the Shanghai and Berlin builds are better in quality control than the ones built in North America.

I do not think Tesla will just let you replace the vehicle for some panel gaps.

Cheers,
N
Thank you for your advice, Y-Mode-L. It is very helpful! Guess it from your name, you drive Model Y Long Range, do you? Would you recommend the Long Range over RWD?