Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How'd you get #1? Luck of the draw, or do you have connections?

I can't give away trade secrets :), but no special connections were used. I'm the owner of the second customer delivery of a Roadster Sport (we deferred our 1.5 order to wait for a 2.0 car), and also the owner of VIN S00044 Model S. I will share how we got such a low Signature S number - we begged a salesperson to let us put down a $40k deposit three weeks before the public announcement, and we did it totally blind, as they wouldn't tell us a thing about "the product".

I did find it very odd that they "badged" that car the way they did, if they wanted to hide it. The story I heard third-hand was that it was involved in some sort of photo shoot or camera work, so maybe it was badged for that purpose. Of course, there is another possibility -- it is just a standard P85 carrying an extra "D" for the purpose of a photo shoot. No confirmation was possible as to whether or not the shoot was being done for Tesla Motors.

I was torn on whether to post that photo here or not. I'm working on the assumption that if Tesla was driving their car around with the badge, they can expect people to take pictures of it.

Based on the spy photo, it looks like the 2nd row has 3 seats because I can see a headrest for the middle passenger.

The VIN decoding sheet posted earlier indicated an option for 2 seats in the second row... my guess is that this option will be introduced in the near future: 2x rear bucket seats for those who want more rear seat comfort and don't need to carry a 3rd passenger in that row.

Putting all the pieces together: Elon didn't say "Model D" just "The D", we have adelman's pic showing the D on a PERFORMANCE Model S. Techcrunch sources are telling them that it's a higher performance super sedan with AWD. So pretty sure we can safely assume what the D is. Additionally many people with X sig reservations are getting invited so the extra thing is probably a reveal of the production X.

It all makes sense, Tesla is currently supply limited - their eventual goal is to increase volumes but they have specific timelines for release of Model X and Model 3; in the interim they are a low volume niche producer and should therefore maximize the net profit per vehicle. Porsche has done a heck of a job producing additional permutations of their models with greater performance. With sedans, Mercedes produces $200k+ versions of their $100k S Class. Taking a $80k Model S, adding $25k in hardware and selling for $180k nets Tesla 4-5X gross profit for the vehicle. Also it's exciting and keeps the Tesla name associated with technology and performance. Win, win ... so long as it doesn't take any focus at all away from lowering long term production costs and increasing volume which it shouldn't.

Nope. No way that would be legal for many, many years to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, driverless highway driving won't be a reality until *all* cars on the highway are all driverless. Or all driverless vehicles are limited to their own, separated lane.

It's legal today in California. And it works.

Google rides every day on trafficky crowded freeways with a freeway-capable self-driving car.

Every day.

In normal lanes, with other cars mixed in.

Also, GM is bringing SuperCruise to market on a 2017 Cadillac.

Last night I was really hoping the Model X would be the "and something else" but the more I think about it, I think the reason that Sig X reservations are getting invitations is to encourage them to see the D and to shift them away from Model X if they were holding out for AWD. Just reading the shareholder letter, the Alphas have been just developed. I don't think Elon would show us the X until he's perfected every last detail, especially as he himself stated he's the one who delayed the X for so long.

Last night I was really hoping the Model X would be the "and something else" but the more I think about it, I think the reason that Sig X reservations are getting invitations is to encourage them to see the D and to shift them away from Model X if they were holding out for AWD. Just reading the shareholder letter, the Alphas have been just developed. I don't think Elon would show us the X until he's perfected every last detail, especially as he himself stated he's the one who delayed the X for so long.

It could be since Tesla has so many reservations for the Model X.

I'm going out on a limb with a totally different prediction...... D = Dual speed transmission.

Keeping high-gear the same as it is now and adding low-gear by incorporating a simple electric-shifted two-speed planetary gearbox may knock a half-second off the 0-60 time.

An added advantage might be two-step regen.