Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why everyone has decided that neither the X nor the 3 is off the list for tomorrow, based on Elon's words with VF.

E "We're not going to talk about the Model 3 or the Model X"
V "The Model 3 would be the $35,000 electric vehicle..
E "That's right"..
V "You're going to talk about something that's labeled D"
E "Yeah, D, and there's another thing..."

To me it seems clear he's referencing the upcoming announcement in this entire exchange, not the current interview, and he's flat out stating the upcoming announcement will not be about the 3 or the X. Sorry to dash all the "X"-pectations but I believe wishful thinking has clouded interpretation in this case.

Don't forget, Tesla are over 25% profit on cars at the moment... it wouldn't kill them to include the extra motor parts, and they'd get the cachet of all Tesla cars are all-wheel-drive. This would put to rest the discussions about dropping the base price of the Model S, etc..
... what about the 60,000 rear-wheel-drive cars on the road, including mine... are they retrofittable?

I'm eager to see the announcement but a little leery too.

If it is something like this, that will utterly decimate resale/residual values on the previously delivered cars. I have no intention of jettisoning my MS, but at the same time I'm not keen on dramatic increases in value for new cars coming off the line.

Well, OTOH I could perhaps be more enthusiastic if a CPO P85 with low miles were suddenly under $50k... exclusively to holders of VINs under 60k.

E "We're not going to talk about the Model 3 or the Model X"
V "The Model 3 would be the $35,000 electric vehicle..
E "That's right"..
V "You're going to talk about something that's labeled D"
E "Yeah, D, and there's another thing..."

To me it seems clear he's referencing the upcoming announcement in this entire exchange, not the current interview, and he's flat out stating the upcoming announcement will not be about the 3 or the X. Sorry to dash all the "X"-pectations but I believe wishful thinking has clouded interpretation in this case.

It constantly amazes me (and I have been guilty of this too, so don't think I am singling someone out) how much people will continue to build up their internal expectations to something crazy unrealistic even in the face of evidence pointing them in the other direction only to end up totally disappointed when their wild expectations end up being dashed on the night of the event. I have watched this happen quite a few times, and it makes me sad because we end up shooting ourselves in the foot with these things.

AWD, Driver Assist, "something else"... whatever it is, it will be cool and I am happy with that. Would I love for a Model X or Model 3 reveal? heck yeah! But you have to set appropriate expectations.

Some more stuff from the same source:
"SR01":{
"category":"C_OPTS",
"delivery_date":null,
"delivery_date_warning":null,
"description":"Standard 2nd row",
"disclaimer":null,
"list_price":0,
"name":"Standard 2nd row",
"no_ui":true,
"price":0,
"price_indicator":"Included",
"toggle_pair":"SR02"
},
"SR02":{
"category":"C_OPTS",
"delivery_date":null,
"delivery_date_warning":null,
"description":"Executive 2nd row",
"disclaimer":null,
"list_price":0,
"name":"Executive 2nd row",
"no_ui":true,
"price":0,
"price_indicator":"Included",
"toggle_pair":"SR01"
},

So I guess the guesses for a 4-seat version are not that far off...

Yup, the reddit stuff found in the javascript very much hints to what today's announcement is going to be:

1. D=Dual motor=AWD Model S

2. Option of executive back seat (4-seater)

... and that's it. No Model X, no Model 3, nothing else.

These are my conclusion, we will have the facts later tonight (for me in the middle of the night). This is not the investment thread but my short-term calls will all be sold today since this will not create a lot of move in the stock price.

Yup, the reddit stuff found in the javascript very much hints to what today's announcement is going to be:

1. D=Dual motor=AWD Model S

2. Option of executive back seat (4-seater)

... and that's it. No Model X, no Model 3, nothing else.

These are my conclusion, we will have the facts later tonight (for me in the middle of the night). This is not the investment thread but my short-term calls will all be sold today since this will not create a lot of move in the stock price.

I am believing more and more that its sure Dual drive but also a more sporty stance a la panamera with 4 seats more coupe in its character..... He did say he was glad he did not mention the other letter. And he was probably glad since the first remarks to his tweet were a bit bellow the belt.... and coupe could also be lettered bellow the belt ....... and it would not be too difficult to construct a coupe from the existing Model S .....

From there

I spent some time digging around their JS, attempting to enable the UI for these options and have come to two conclusions:

The code for the UI is not on the site yet
Their JS is an absolute mess with TONS of duplicated code.

I remember digging through the code when we were waiting for news on the S and coming to the same conclusions.

We don't appreciate the magnitude of the 'D'. It is bigger than anyone imagined!
LOL More things to take out of context.

62vmB76.jpg

Oh well. On a plane from DC for the event. I will admit I will be disappointed if the X doesn't make an appearance. I'm meeting up with some friends while I'm there so it's all good no matter what happens.