Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to Tune to HD stations vanished with latest update - Software Bug? Anyone else noticed this issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FM tuner used to be able to tune to HD1, 2 and 3 versions of FM stations. This feature vanished with the latest software update 2 weeks ago. After the update I now have no ability to tune to HD FM stations. Oddly, any HD stations saved in favorites I can still get back to, but only because it was saved in favorites. If I had not saved the HD station there is apparently no way to select or tune to the HD stations. Very weird. Car is a 2015 P90D, software version is v11.0 (2022.8.10.1 171f0fe61c20)

I contacted Tesla service on the issue. They sent a service tech out despite my comments to them "Are you sure you want to send a tech out on this issue? his seems like a software update issue" The tech showed up with a new tuner in hand (which I told him not to install) and spent an hour reloading stuff and scratching his head. No dice on a fix.

After he declared defeat on fixing my issue, I suggested we go check out the radio tuner the Model X he drove up in. We checked his tuner - same version of software, same issue. His radio also could not tune to HD stations, but still had a few HDs saved in favorites you could still get to. Clearly this is a bug in the latest update.

Anyone else have this issue? Any news when Tesla might fix it? Below are screen shots of the current lack of HD selections, and a screen shot of an older Tesla that still has the HD tuning buttons that have now vanished with the latest update.

If you have not already updated and you use the HD stations - Make sure you add to favorites so you can get to them later after the update!

Old Screen - HD Tune buttons available
Old Screen HD Buttons.jpg

New Screen after update - No buttons to get to HD stations
NEw Screen HD Buttons.jpg

Likely related since this happened right after the update spoke of here. No longer see station numbers (when radio is reduced on screen) or song/singer listed. I really appreciated those features. I assumed it was part of the premium package I pay monthly for. And boom, just like that, it’s gone. Frustrating driving a computer around. Do Tesla software engineers consult users on any of these changes. Wish they’d be open to feedback.

No, the premium connectivity subscription is for some cellular data.
FM is just broadcast radio. It doesn't use cellular service.

Upvote 0
I ran into this issue this morning, when using the radio for the first time in quite a while. Fortunately, I think I managed to fix it on the way home this evening, though I'm not exactly sure how what I did helped matters.

After several weeks of listening to audiobooks on my commute, I decided to listen to the news on the way to work this morning. I have exactly one saved FM preset - my local NPR station - and it pulled up fine, but I noticed that the car was not displaying the title of the current story and its reporter, as it usually does, and the HD icon to the right was grayed out. I remembered this post and pulled up the list of stations while at a stop light. The only one that showed was my NPR station, under Favorites. The Stations tab was completely empty. I shrugged and continued on my drive.

This evening, while stuck in very slow traffic on Autopilot, I decided to try to directly tune to another station. I went to the Direct Tune tab and typed in the frequency of another known FM station around here. It tuned to it after a moment, and then the screen froze for a few seconds. Then, it allowed me to switch back to the Stations tab, which suddenly had a few more presets showing, including some HD sub-channels. I tapped on one of them, the system tuned it in, and suddenly many more HD stations and sub-channels appeared in the list, including my NPR affiliate's sub-channels.

I will also note that after this happened, the NPR story title and reporter began appearing on the screen again, as it used to, and the HD icon to the right was once again lit up.

I'm not sure why my jumping around as I did made a difference. Maybe asking the system to directly tune to a station also prompted it to do a full scan of the FM dial, including HD channels. It'll be interesting to see if those channels are still there the next time I drive the car.

Anyways, I hope this helps someone!

Upvote 0
FM tuner used to be able to tune to HD1, 2 and 3 versions of FM stations. This feature vanished with the latest software update 2 weeks ago. After the update I now have no ability to tune to HD FM stations. Oddly, any HD stations saved in favorites I can still get back to, but only because it was saved in favorites. If I had not saved the HD station there is apparently no way to select or tune to the HD stations. Very weird. Car is a 2015 P90D, software version is v11.0 (2022.8.10.1 171f0fe61c20)

I contacted Tesla service on the issue. They sent a service tech out despite my comments to them "Are you sure you want to send a tech out on this issue? his seems like a software update issue" The tech showed up with a new tuner in hand (which I told him not to install) and spent an hour reloading stuff and scratching his head. No dice on a fix.

After he declared defeat on fixing my issue, I suggested we go check out the radio tuner the Model X he drove up in. We checked his tuner - same version of software, same issue. His radio also could not tune to HD stations, but still had a few HDs saved in favorites you could still get to. Clearly this is a bug in the latest update.

Anyone else have this issue? Any news when Tesla might fix it? Below are screen shots of the current lack of HD selections, and a screen shot of an older Tesla that still has the HD tuning buttons that have now vanished with the latest update.

If you have not already updated and you use the HD stations - Make sure you add to favorites so you can get to them later after the update!

View attachment 830681

View attachment 830682

View attachment 830681

View attachment 830682
Same here. My wife's favorite station gone. We should lobby Tesla to fix this.

Upvote 0

View attachment 830681

View attachment 830682
I have the same problem and Tesla is in denial about its existence. Tesla claims the problem exists because I do not have the "FM Premium" package. This is nonsense because until recently I got all the FM HD stations and have never had a "premium package" for my FM radio. Have you found anyone at Tesla who can help with this?

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
Upvote 0
I was able to solve this on my 2020 Model S. I parked in a place with good FM reception, then went to the stations screen. I noticed the "HD)" icon to the right of the favorite star and audio controls was grayed out and had a slash through it. I touched it and the slash went away and it turned black. Soon after that, the station list started populating with the HD2 stations. I'm not sure if touching the icon mattered or if I just needed to wait a couple minutes, but now I have all the HD2 stations and I'm happy.

Upvote 0
We got our 2017 Model X MCU 1 back in August '22 and I added Rock of the '80s on KROQ HD2 back then but now I'm looking to add some AM stations that are on subchannels here. But, I don't see any way to tune the sub channels anymore.

Also I only have favorites in direct tune there's no station tab. I wish I would have tried adding the other sub channels a long time ago. I still have Rock of the 80s but that's the only sub channel I can get. It works on the HD1 channels but that's it... no other subs.

And I found no way to tune AM directly, but I don't think the Model X ever had AM capability.

Upvote 0
What happened to the Edit function? I used to have it when accessing this from my phone.
Several TMC features now disappear in mobile portrait mode! To access them, rotate into landscape mode then scroll to get to post back in view.

AM radio reception is not in these cars, I bet because the motor controllers emit too much RFI (radio frequency interference) for reception to work well. The RFI also jammed my old garage door opener. I replaced that.

Edit: I can now confirm that the Edit button is one of the hidden features. That's a UI problem.

Upvote 0