Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A weekend of interior/exterior mods (chrome delete, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anzir,

In your second post I can see you installed the logo valve caps. I had those as well for about 7 months, and purchased them for a friend when he took delivery of his X100D. My friend was in for service last month and was told he should remove them because they can damage the valve - so he removed them. My initial reaction was that the comment from the service tech was BS. Until it wasn't.

I researched it more and found this:

Replacement air valve caps

I ended up removing mine it wasn't worth the risk. Do I think something might actually happen? Who knows. I didn't want to take a chance.

I figured you should know and you can make your own choice.

Nice mods by the way.

Thanks! I had thought about the additional weight but I didn't think about corrosion. Sounds like I'll be taking these off. Appreciate the heads up!

Reactions: AdamHLG and Bogobec
What's wrong with a black egg?!? I originally left the front chrome as well, but ended up doing the front grill but left the emblem and the lower chrome. But I do highly recommend the side markers. It looks good with the Tesla emblem cut out, it's a nice bit of detail.
View attachment 327236

Sorry if I missed this somewhere... but did you plastidip your wheels? I have black 22's on now, but am switching back to silver 20's before winter. I've been considering dipping the 20s in gunmetal while they're off the X.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere... but did you plastidip your wheels? I have black 22's on now, but am switching back to silver 20's before winter. I've been considering dipping the 20s in gunmetal while they're off the X.

Yea. 3 coats of black plastidip with 2 coats of Dupli Color Custom Wrap Graphite Metallic Matte on top. I was going for some contrast instead of the blacked out look. I also have 20's in 3 coats of black plastidip with 2 coats of plastidip luxury metal gray that looks pretty good. It depends if you want more of a black tone or a brown tone to the wheels.

Last edited:
Nice! Did you spray them on the car or when they were removed? Any tricks to doing this? I've been watching plastidip videos, trying to figure out when to bite the bullet. My X is in midnight silver, so I'm going to probably go with a gunmetal finish rather than a brown tone. Looking forward to doing this since the 20's look too homely in the stock silver IMO.

Yea. 3 coats of black plastidip with 2 coats of Dupli Color Custom Wrap Graphite Metallic Matte on top. I was going for some contrast instead of the blacked out look. I also have 20's in 3 coats of black plastidip with 2 coats of plastidip luxury metal gray that looks pretty good. It depends if you want more of a black tone or a brown tone to the wheels.

Nice! Did you spray them on the car or when they were removed? Any tricks to doing this? I've been watching plastidip videos, trying to figure out when to bite the bullet. My X is in midnight silver, so I'm going to probably go with a gunmetal finish rather than a brown tone. Looking forward to doing this since the 20's look too homely in the stock silver IMO.

I sprayed them off the car since I swap sets for winter.

1. Clean then really well
2. Clean then again
3. Make sure they’re dry
4. Use all the cans, it will look done after two to three passes, keep going until you’re done with the cans.
5. Regardless of what brand or color you use for the top coat, plastidip black (or gunmetal or white) is the best base layer. They’re cheap, give good coverage, and gives contrast so you know when your top coat is even and has proper coverage.

That’s it. Some drive on them right away. I’d recommend letting them dry for a day if you can to prevent brake dust from sticking.

Overall it takes about an hour. If you dedicate time you’ll watch paint dry and take longer. I just went out and sprayed for 15min, went inside and did something else; repeated until I was out of paint.

Reactions: 5thgear
Before I took delivery of my X I ordered a few items to personalize my P100D so this thread is meant to document and provide tips for people who would like to do the same. I'll try to provide links to the items where possible.

Easiest and first, key fob cover from RPM Tesla. I liked the fact that it had the red stitching and it was "leather." I keep my keys in my pocket all the time and the rubber fob covers tend to catch, and I also know I would end up rubbing the white decals off over time. Since this was embossed I don't have to worry about that.

I'd suggest you opt for a keyless touchpad lock for your house. I've been using one for over a year and never carry keys around with me. It's so liberating! haha. Now it's just a phone, wallet, and my key fob in my pocket. So no silly fob cover to worry about. I long for the day when I can eliminate the wallet and key fob and carry around just my phone.

I'd suggest you opt for a keyless touchpad lock for your house. I've been using one for over a year and never carry keys around with me. It's so liberating! haha. Now it's just a phone, wallet, and my key fob in my pocket. So no silly fob cover to worry about. I long for the day when I can eliminate the wallet and key fob and carry around just my phone.

I have them for my office but our entry doors to our house are triple bolted into the frame and can't take a regular deadbolt. They are very handy, though!

You are offending my black egg :(
Just kidding, nice car you got there!
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg

Anzir,

In your second post I can see you installed the logo valve caps. I had those as well for about 7 months, and purchased them for a friend when he took delivery of his X100D. My friend was in for service last month and was told he should remove them because they can damage the valve - so he removed them. My initial reaction was that the comment from the service tech was BS. Until it wasn't.

I researched it more and found this:

Replacement air valve caps

I ended up removing mine it wasn't worth the risk. Do I think something might actually happen? Who knows. I didn't want to take a chance.

I figured you should know and you can make your own choice.

Nice mods by the way.

You think using painter's tape or petroleum jelly would reduce the chance of corrosion/fusion? It has been suggested on other forums.

I finally got around to installing the quick connect dock for my Galaxy Note 8. The order through the Tesla store was surprisingly easy, and I just had to select the USB-C option for the new phones. It came within a week and took 10 minutes to install at the most.

Unfortunately the phone adapters that come with the kit fit iPhones so I wasn't able to use those. I ended up ordering the guide from Hello Skyline. Hopefully those will hold the phone during Ludicrous launches...

Attachments

• 20180829_114927.jpg
    20180829_114927.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 121
I finally got around to installing the quick connect dock for my Galaxy Note 8. The order through the Tesla store was surprisingly easy, and I just had to select the USB-C option for the new phones. It came within a week and took 10 minutes to install at the most.

Unfortunately the phone adapters that come with the kit fit iPhones so I wasn't able to use those. I ended up ordering the guide from Hello Skyline. Hopefully those will hold the phone during Ludicrous launches...

Even some iPhone users aren't able to use those since they don't fit with a case. I find the adapter itself holds the phone in place 80% of the time, mostly during normal driving. Hard launches send them flying though. @tizio had posted 3D Printer layouts of a new plastic spring/tension based holder that works well with the iPhone 8+ inside a case; that may work for your Note 8 as well.

Reactions: tizio and Anzir

Confirmed skyline ones hold well for Luda launches ;)..:also surprised ur installer ran second channel for BlackVue cable it all fits in the single Channel ..there is a plastic tube in the single channel that needs to be removed ..looks cleaner imo

Reactions: Anzir
Confirmed skyline ones hold well for Luda launches ;)..:also surprised ur installer ran second channel for BlackVue cable it all fits in the single Channel ..there is a plastic tube in the single channel that needs to be removed ..looks cleaner imo

Yes, when I saw pictures of his previous installs I thought it didn't look as clean but it honestly looks like one channel from my angle. He said he didn't want to create a situation where Tesla wouldn't honor something with the autopilot warranty because the channel was removed and replaced. I'm happy with it.

Glad to get confirmation on the Skylines for the Luda launches!!

Reactions: P85_DA
What's wrong with a black egg?!? I originally left the front chrome as well, but ended up doing the front grill but left the emblem and the lower chrome. But I do highly recommend the side markers. It looks good with the Tesla emblem cut out, it's a nice bit of detail.
View attachment 327236

You are offending my black egg :(
Just kidding, nice car you got there!View attachment 328065 View attachment 328066

I added the side markers today and gave her a bath. I'm liking the look, and will definitely give the window surrounds the same treatment in the future.

Attachments

• 20180909_184314.jpg
    20180909_184314.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 110
So I found someone who does custom steering wheels who was posting on the Tesla Owner's Facebook Page. I am getting the Model X version of this and it's much less than what T Sportline charges for their steering wheels. I feel like it will complement the P interior well. It is an 8 week turnaround without a core deposit, you keep the original steering wheel. I'll post if I think it's worth it with details of the retailer once I receive it.

Attachments

• 41747016_2745290795497165_8292380627827687424_o.jpg
    41747016_2745290795497165_8292380627827687424_o.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Love
Reactions: TexasRat
I did mine matte not the shiny carbon ..also had someone else do as tsport is straight ripoff

View attachment 335491

Yes, I got matte as well! Your whole wheel is not showing up on my screen. He showed me this model (attached, obviously not Tesla) and I thought it would match the interior well. Where did you get it installed? Did you transfer the buttons/airbag?

37940975_2074135949518546_8111871415893884928_n.jpg