Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not yet an owner but love being able to see how I would plan trips with the 3! A small UI tweak I wanted to mention is the opacity of the waypoints I find could be less transparent or use a slider when you don't want to see what's behind it as there are a lot of numbers and rows and sometimes the map below it makes it harder than it should.

Thank you for your passion and sharing it with us!

Nice job, Bo.

What does the %speed entry do?

I like the wh/mi at 65 mph.

Want a cookie as others have asked for to save settings my settings.

Need to be able to manually enter SCs (waypoints) and delete others.

Had trouble getting the SC info pop-up to go away. Repeated hit the (X) and nothing happened on the Tesla browser.

I'd like to log-in and save trips.

Thanks for a beautiful and useful app.

Not yet an owner but love being able to see how I would plan trips with the 3! A small UI tweak I wanted to mention is the opacity of the waypoints I find could be less transparent or use a slider when you don't want to see what's behind it as there are a lot of numbers and rows and sometimes the map below it makes it harder than it should.

Thank you for your passion and sharing it with us!

.... and if the slider could go all the way from opaque to invisible, then everyone would be happy.

OK, not EVERYONE, but at least two of us. For a while.

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk
Nice job, Bo.

What does the %speed entry do?

I like the wh/mi at 65 mph.

Want a cookie as others have asked for to save settings my settings.

Need to be able to manually enter SCs (waypoints) and delete others.

Had trouble getting the SC info pop-up to go away. Repeated hit the (X) and nothing happened on the Tesla browser.

I'd like to log-in and save trips.

Thanks for a beautiful and useful app.

The %speed entry scales the driving speed which Google thinks you should drive at. So basically, if you are driving at low-traffic hours, you should probably set this to 110% since Google thinks you will not even reach the speed limit on average. You can of course set it to whatever suits your driving style.

The settings you enter are now saved in the browser local storage, so they should be remembered. Still no login to share your data between computers, though.

You still cannot ban or force certain SCs, but you can make them preferable by adding a waypoint close or using the "long break" feature.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Wow, Really impressive! the only thing I could see a possible use for is an option to remove a single charge stop. We don't do much travel but on our last trip we had hear of a location to avoid at all cost due to very high volume and we did find it hard to bypass without knowing for sure if we would make our next stop..... Just a thought. But very nice work

@blincoln We used the site a bit in the car over the weekend and I noticed a couple of minor issues:
1. Clicking on the radio buttons in the car's browser didn't work and we weren't able to change the units. Can you add a label tag to imperial and metric so the units can be changed?
2. Capacity is spelled incorrectly when viewing the settings: Battery Capaciy Degradation

Thanks!

1. I am considering adding ChaDeMo chargers and other fast charging options around the world to make it possible to reach other destinations. However, the optimization problem becomes a bit tricker when the chargers have different characteristics so I may have to think about it... One quick-fix is of course to add the Tesla Destination chargers to the map (without optimizing via them) so you can use it to plan long stops.

Yes, I was thinking about this the other day, and standard routing algorithms like Dijkstra's aren't easy to use for this optimization problem. For a standard map/route planner, using speeds on each highway as the cost will yield the route with the lowest time. But when charging stops are involved, the charge speed has to be used as the cost, and it's not constant. It's a function of the length of the next paths to the next charger, the type of charger in use, and the battery size. (Note: This implies that the optimal path for a 60 might be different than the optimal path for a 90! )

You will probably have to implement this optimization in two steps:

1. Use Dijkstra's algorithm (or one of several other path-cost optimization algorithms) to find several candidate paths, say the top 10 or 20 that are least time, assuming a constant, fixed charge time at each charger.

2. Once those candidate paths are determined, then individually calculate the actual time for each path, with the exact charging times. Re-sort the candidate paths by total time to find the optimal path.

This becomes even more complicated if you at some point want to consider monetary costs for charging. e.g. 400 kWh free at superchargers, then after that $0.xx per kWh, vs. $0.yy per kWh at Chademos in the QQQ network, $0.zz per kWh at Chademos in RRR network, etc.

Then you have two separate optimization goals: total trip time vs. total trip monetary cost. For this, you'll have to run the algorithms multiple times, once using charge speed in part #2 above (finds total trip time optimal path), and again using charge $ cost in part #2 above (finds total trip monetary cost). Now you can give the user several choices, such as shortest trip time for a selected $ ceiling (e.g. give me the shortest time path for less than $100 cost). Or lowest cost for a time ceiling (e.g. lowest cost for a path that takes no more than 8 hours).

Very nice, seems like a useful addition to the tools.

Like other planners it doesn't understand the Channel Tunnel between UK and France. There are 3 points to consider:
  • The SC at Folkestone is "Available to Eurotunnel passengers travelling from the UK to France only"
  • The SC at Calais Eurotunnel terminal is "Available to Eurotunnel passengers travelling from France to the UK only"
  • Virtually no energy is used travelling between them as the car is on the Eurotunnel train.
If I plan a trip from Heathrow, London to Moers, Germany it says to charge at Calais, when in fact the correct approach is to charge at Folkestone. If you force Folkestone as a long break then it over-estimates the charge used to reach Antwerp, which should be essentially the same as if charging at Calais.

Presumably similar problems occur with ferries in other places, such as between Denmark and Sweden?

@blincoln We used the site a bit in the car over the weekend and I noticed a couple of minor issues:
1. Clicking on the radio buttons in the car's browser didn't work and we weren't able to change the units. Can you add a label tag to imperial and metric so the units can be changed?
2. Capacity is spelled incorrectly when viewing the settings: Battery Capaciy Degradation

Thanks!
Thanks a lot for the report, I will do my best to fix the radio buttons. Teslas browser has quite a few quirks and there is no way of debugging other than sitting in the car with a laptop and changing things randomly until it works o_O

Will release a new version with some new features (most visibly a MyTesla connection so that it can display the car position, speed and charge directly in the browser).

Reactions: 2krazykats
Yes, I was thinking about this the other day, and standard routing algorithms like Dijkstra's aren't easy to use for this optimization problem. For a standard map/route planner, using speeds on each highway as the cost will yield the route with the lowest time. But when charging stops are involved, the charge speed has to be used as the cost, and it's not constant. It's a function of the length of the next paths to the next charger, the type of charger in use, and the battery size. (Note: This implies that the optimal path for a 60 might be different than the optimal path for a 90! )

You will probably have to implement this optimization in two steps:

1. Use Dijkstra's algorithm (or one of several other path-cost optimization algorithms) to find several candidate paths, say the top 10 or 20 that are least time, assuming a constant, fixed charge time at each charger.

2. Once those candidate paths are determined, then individually calculate the actual time for each path, with the exact charging times. Re-sort the candidate paths by total time to find the optimal path.

This becomes even more complicated if you at some point want to consider monetary costs for charging. e.g. 400 kWh free at superchargers, then after that $0.xx per kWh, vs. $0.yy per kWh at Chademos in the QQQ network, $0.zz per kWh at Chademos in RRR network, etc.

Then you have two separate optimization goals: total trip time vs. total trip monetary cost. For this, you'll have to run the algorithms multiple times, once using charge speed in part #2 above (finds total trip time optimal path), and again using charge $ cost in part #2 above (finds total trip monetary cost). Now you can give the user several choices, such as shortest trip time for a selected $ ceiling (e.g. give me the shortest time path for less than $100 cost). Or lowest cost for a time ceiling (e.g. lowest cost for a path that takes no more than 8 hours).

Thanks a lot for your proposals, I took on the challenge of implementing an optimization algorithm which can handle different charger characteristics based on Dynamic Programming with an internal state in form of state-of-charge. It works fine and is actually faster than the old algorithm, and I will release it soon together with some other features.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get an API agreement with any charger listing sites so there will still not be any alternative chargers. Tesla Destination chargers are not usable for this shite since they have so many varying conditions for usage. If you are aware of any charger listing site which is willing to share their data with abetterrouteplanner.com, let me know!

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I just wanted to let you know that a relatively large update to A Better Routeplanner has been released. It allows real-time tracking and follow-up of your Tesla via MyTesla (if you trust the site enough to log in - nothing ever stored on the server), UI updates, faster optimization and so on. The goal is to make it usable as a tool for charge follow-up in the car until the navigator becomes better, plus of course off-line planning.

Give it a shot!

Reactions: rpez021
I think there's a problem with the displayed speed. For example, I plotted a trip and it displayed a speed of 24 mph but I would expect it to be closer to 75 mph.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-26-06-04-13.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-26-06-04-13.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
Awesome website, I've added it as an app to my Iphone already. I'm a Model 3 reservation holder and can't wait to be able to use this. This site seems to be much much better at eliminating unnecessary Super Charger stops. Little question to those of you who use this as well as other EV route planners. EV tripplanner allows you to choose weight in vehicle, inside cabin temp and outside temp, does this seem to change your "real life" numbers when using these planners? Thanks for any advice you can give this anxious (hopefully early 2018) EV owner.