Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90kWh upgrade price for existing S85 owners will be...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to see that math for an A pack P85 vs a P90

Hi Tomas,

If you upgraded to 90 kWh, the weight of your car and your kWh consumption would be exactly the same as it is now. However you would have 280 rated miles instead 265 and your supercharging speed would be much faster. The 90 kWh packs supercharge faster than the latest 85 packs. Therefore they will supercharge much faster than A packs. Unfortunately I don't have specific data about A packs. If you supercharged a non-A-Pack loaner you might have an idea about that. If you want to compare supercharge times of a non-A-pack 85 kWh to 90 kWh, there is a calculator for that here.

15 to 16 miles more rated range can be useful in a number of different ways. You could increase your speed between superchargers that are near range limits. You could have more buffer and skip a station that you couldn't skip before. To try out these kind ideas and play around with speed, there is this calculator that I mentioned two messages ago. In both calculators you can select S90 to represent the upgraded version of your car. Have a look at this image.

I have more information about the Gilroy to Tejon Ranch scenario I randomly mentioned yesterday. Today finally I completed the calculator for energy consumption between two superchargers. I was working on this for the last week. So I thought lets see what it shows. It turns out this route is indeed doable in S90D if you drive at 70 mph and AC off, no headwind. Here is a comparison.

You've got a mistake in your data. You've got the weight for the S85, S90, 90D and P90D. I noticed this because you're showing less energy consumption for the 90D vs the 85D in your above post. I'd expect this to be roughly the same (until we have better info on the weight of the cars). So I think it's fine for the S85 and S90 to be the same weight but the 90D should match the 85D and the P90D should match the P85D.