Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D ordered, now rumors of 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will always be improvements. The neat thing is that some of these improvements will be sent to our cars OTA! So cool.

I noticed this weekend in the showroom that the tire pressure and the analog clock are two new displays that can be added to the instrument cluster. wicked cool that these were added after the fact. Just amazing - and NO ONE else is doing this. Not BMW, MB, GM, Ford, NO ONE!

Seems a little strange to me that the 90 even came out if a 100 is coming within the foreseeable future.

By that reasoning a rapidly innovating company like TMC would never release any products. As an engineer, I'm quite familiar with the
temptation to put off a less grand solution or improvement since "we're so close to the next step", but that's an unproductive line of thought. Innovate, release, observe, respond, repeat.

By that reasoning a rapidly innovating company like TMC would never release any products. As an engineer, I'm quite familiar with the
temptation to put off a less grand solution or improvement since "we're so close to the next step", but that's an unproductive line of thought. Innovate, release, observe, respond, repeat.

Sort of.....To make a 90kwh has costs, R&D, more part #s, etc. If you knew a 100kwh was close, it might not be worth putting the resources into the 90kwh. Keep in mind that I could follow your thinking to a T and suggest Tesla release a 90.1kwh pack before the 90.2kwh pack is ready. I know.....ridiculous, but your line of thinking is only relevant to a point.

By my reasoning, Tesla should release products when they represent a strong value proposition considering costs, increased functionality, and consumer demand.

By my reasoning, Tesla should release products when they represent a strong value proposition considering costs, increased functionality, and consumer demand.
Do you have some evidence that TMC has done otherwise?
I think we can agree that, as in most things, a balance between various competing concerns must be struck. It seems like TMC has pretty clearly staked out a position as "incrementalists" with their "no ``model year'' re-makes" approach.

Get the 100D. Tell your DS to delay production. You'll always wish you had more range.

The 100D probably isn't needed over the 90D for extra local range or even for distance driving. When distance driving you won't save any significant time by skipping a supercharger. You could possibly skip one occasionally but you'll be charging at the next one for 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes. I've played with many 85D vs 70D scenarios on EV Trip Planner and determined that the 85D saves very little travel time over the 70D.

The 100D probably isn't needed over the 90D for extra local range or even for distance driving. When distance driving you won't save any significant time by skipping a supercharger. You could possibly skip one occasionally but you'll be charging at the next one for 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes. I've played with many 85D vs 70D scenarios on EV Trip Planner and determined that the 85D saves very little travel time over the 70D.

There is one case in which it makes a big difference: when you are making superchargers line up with meal times. I am a "supercharger-skipper"... my family of six parks at the supercharger, plugs in, and then goes to eat. Our meals take about an hour by the time we factor in everything - and that usually lets us skip a supercharger.

If you're the type to eat on the road with the "just-charge-and-go" mentality, then I agree with you.

I went through the same thought process and ultimately purchased the 70. The larger capicity only comes into play for local daily driving and the 70 has all the range I need. On roadtrips you could make the argument that the 85 or 90 will supercharge a little faster than the 70 but to me it was a lot of money for a little bit of time on a roadtrip.

Reactions: Tanquen