Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Model S metal insert on the kick plate of drivers and passengers front doors. This is a nice touch but I'd think it should be on back doors as well. All vehicles are getting this not just Ds, but my old one didn't have it.
can you elaborate on this? slightly confused on if i have this or not.

can you elaborate on this? slightly confused on if i have this or not.

Not my picture (obviously since this is a RHD car) but here you go.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68888&d=1420990560.png

Source: New Kickplates Are Not Retrofittable

The situation that stands out in my mind the most from when I had the first car would definitely be understeer.

I tried repeating the situation in the same spot with this car. No understeer.

I've also updated a few things since it was raining today. Bosch wipers work great. Wh/mile is down to more like what I saw with the S85 (and it was raining when I first got the S85).

Ugh, hopefully not another "waiting for torgue sleep" issue coming up like we saw with the P85D.

I don't think the efficiency is worse than the S85. The P85D owners saw much worse efficiency that was obviously worse than P85s. This isn't the case here. Weather condition differences are enough to make it very hard to see if the 85D is really better. Probably have to do parallel drives in an S85 and 85D to be sure. I'd need to find someone with an S85 that wanted to do that since I don't have one anymore.

Congratulations on your new 85D, and thanks for taking the time for comprehensive write up. Hadn't heard about the Model S / Bank issue in the 'quah - this posted somewhere?

The primary reason for getting AWD for me was the slippery roads here and, imo, it drives a lot more predictably than just the RWD. Saying that, you can still have some fun... I did manage to get mine a little sideways today on east side entrance to 520 off the 202. As you mention it did start raining again today... ;-)

I don't think the efficiency is worse than the S85. The P85D owners saw much worse efficiency that was obviously worse than P85s. This isn't the case here. Weather condition differences are enough to make it very hard to see if the 85D is really better. Probably have to do parallel drives in an S85 and 85D to be sure. I'd need to find someone with an S85 that wanted to do that since I don't have one anymore.

Also brand new tires, brand new gears and bearings. It's not quite like breaking in an engine, but I would expect that if you could map actual efficiency and losses over time, you'd find that the first few hundred or thousand miles have higher rolling resistance that goes away over time. I don't have any numbers, but I wouldn't expect it to be a huge change - maybe 5% or so.
Walter

Also brand new tires, brand new gears and bearings. It's not quite like breaking in an engine, but I would expect that if you could map actual efficiency and losses over time, you'd find that the first few hundred or thousand miles have higher rolling resistance that goes away over time. I don't have any numbers, but I wouldn't expect it to be a huge change - maybe 5% or so.

Indeed, Tesla had said that tires need ~1000 miles of break in before you'll get expected efficiency. Though I'm mostly comparing from my recollections of efficiency of a brand new S85 to the efficiency on my brand new 85D.

- - - Updated - - -

Hadn't heard about the Model S / Bank issue in the 'quah - this posted somewhere?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/42661-Tesla-crashes-into-bank-in-Issaquah

• No more double latch on frunk. There is no manual release under the glovebox anymore. I had heard about this and asked about it and the tech that was handy insisted that it was still there. He went to look for it and realized I was right. Had no idea what you're supposed to do to gain access to the Frunk if the battery is dead. I assume there is some plan for this and I want to find out to be prepared for the dreaded 12V battery failures that people have. Same as a P85D.

Does the single latch seem to make the frunk close any easier? Such as helping to prevent the dreaded frunk crease.

Updated a few more images today. I also noticed one more thing. The recommended tire pressure on this car is 50 psi not 45 psi like my S85.

- - - Updated - - -

The GVWR went up to 5820 lbs from 5710 lbs (implying the front motor weighs about 110 lbs). But curiously the GAWR FRT and GAWR RR didn't change. They're still 2813 lbs and 3307 lbs respectively. Not sure how that's possible.

The GVWR went up to 5820 lbs from 5710 lbs (implying the front motor weighs about 110 lbs). But curiously the GAWR FRT and GAWR RR didn't change. They're still 2813 lbs and 3307 lbs respectively. Not sure how that's possible.

This is an 85D, not a P85D, right?

That being the case, the rear motor is the new smaller and lighter type too, right?

So the 110 pounds would be the amount the two new motors are heavier than the one older, larger motor, I'd think - but that also includes new cooling systems and the structural changes to provide impact resistance without the huge box beams.
Walter

This is an 85D, not a P85D, right?

That being the case, the rear motor is the new smaller and lighter type too, right?

Correct on both cases.

So the 110 pounds would be the amount the two new motors are heavier than the one older, larger motor, I'd think - but that also includes new cooling systems and the structural changes to provide impact resistance without the huge box beams.

Yeah that's true. It's not all just the motor.

I'm posting what I can post. The alternative is to not post anything. If that's what you prefer. I'll just stop bothering to share any information.

Interesting response, that's for sure... especially since we're talking about a color and not something like an early release firmware under NDA or something. Still confused. But, do what you must.

I'm posting what I can post. The alternative is to not post anything. If that's what you prefer. I'll just stop bothering to share any information.
So I'm guessing that @breser isn't just one of the first to get an S85D but also one of the first to get one of the new colors... I never bought the story that Tesla was going to permanently reduce the number of colors...
Congrats! Can't wait to see that unveiled.