Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S85 rear rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, long time lurker here (only just created an account for this reason as I am at my wits end).

I have a 2013 Model S85 that has recently developed a particularly irritating rattling/tapping noise in what seemed to be the rear C pillar. I took it apart this afternoon and it looked like everything was secure in the components, but it still does the noise, and it's driving me crazy.

~Only happens over small bumps, on larger bumps it is totally fine but if I drive over a tiny pothole or a sewer cover it rattles two or three times. It sounds metallic, like a cable or seatbelt tapping on another piece of metal.
~Entirely localized around the left hand passenger side of the vehicle.

Any ideas on what this could be? Any input is appreciated because I can't think of what could be doing this.

Did you test drive the car with the C-pillar panel off? I would expose as much of as you can, have someone else drive the car around the areas that you've noticed the rattle while you sit in the back to try and locate where the noise is coming from. From there you might just need to fasten something down or use an adhesive mastic/neoprene/foam piece to fix that rattle. Good luck.

I think I've found what was causing this issue: my seatbelt buckles. Had some leftover foam and I decided "let's try this". Put some foam to really encase it in and make it so that it couldn't move whatsoever and it worked. So I guess I was wrong in where it was lol