Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80% Charge is Only Showing 168 Mile Range? '22 MYP w/ 17K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it getting sleep? As far as I can tell it's the magic secret to keeping battery management happy.

People have all kinds of charging patterns and range loss results are not overly dissimilar. No study I saw cross referenced range with sleeping, but we know the BMS uses sleep time to calibrate.

I was down to 20 miles left before I charged overnight to 80% and it was at 168 miles this morning. Didn't drive it today so I'll plug it back in and charge it to 100% tonight and see where it's at in the morning.
The charge state monitor reset by deep cycle requires emptying then charging to full then emptying before recharging to full. Something along those lines. Not sure about a sleep in the middle.

I was down to 20 miles left before I charged overnight to 80% and it was at 168 miles this morning. Didn't drive it today so I'll plug it back in and charge it to 100% tonight and see where it's at in the morning.
You happen to get pictures? Seems more likely to have been an observation error or failure to make the charge level for some reason. Very very unlikely to go from 168 to 227 at 80%.

Update: I charged it last night to 80% and it was back up to 228 mile range which is about normal. I guess it was a glitch or something that wasn't allowing it to charge past 168-70 for a week or so. Odd but all seems back to normal now.

I took it to grab some food so range is at 173 now. I've attached 2 pics..one showing range and the other percentage. I always have the car set to charge to 80% but clearly its stopping in the 60% range. No idea.

Attachments

• 20240521_173714.jpg
    20240521_173714.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240521_173748.jpg
    20240521_173748.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 3
So, I'm still figuring out this stuff (just got a 2022 MY), are you using a tesla wall charger? I noticed I can set limits on both the charger and the car. Wondering if there is something going on like that? I ran into time of charge issues when my wall charger had different settings than the car.

Do at lest one full cycle down to ~5% SOC (or less) and back up to 100%. The BMS needs to monitor the cells over a wide charge range every so often to correctly calibrate. You should not need to do this often. Running it down to low SOC is sometimes convenient on a road trip. As long as you don't leave the cells charged <20% or >80% for very long (a few hours or so) it should not damage the cells much. (for NMC, LFP is more tolerant of high SOC).

Yep, the battery needs to rest at various SoCs in order to calculate its available energy correctly. Let it sit overnight at 80, 50, 20%... whatever is reasonable for your next day's commute. Don't charge it for a few days if possible. Let it figure itself out over a range of SoCs.

I don't think there's anything wrong and Tesla will probably tell you there is nothing wrong as well. You've got the correct range at 100% - it just needs help at the other levels.

Reactions: Skavatar
Thanks for all the responses. I typically charge every 2-3 days. I set the car to charge last night to 81% and the range was back up to 240 miles this morning so it sounds like the BMS needs to get itself corrected. I'll do the cycle thing again.

There's nothing wrong with the BMS calibration, by your photos the issue is clearly that the car is just stopping charging too early. It is correctly showing the rated milage at the indicated charge level of 60% and it is showing the correct milage when it actually does charge to 80%. You need to figure out why it's stopping charging before reaching the set level. Scheduled charging setup? Issue with whatever EVSE you're using?