Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8/3 Pickup Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I want to thank all in the forum fort sharing such great information. I feel I was well informed going into my pickup yesterday (MYLR, induction wheels, Red, tow hitch). I live in Paso Robles on the CA Central Coast, about 120 miles from my nearest Tesla SC. One is about 120 miles north in Monterey (Seaside - the one I chose) and one about 120 miles south in Santa Barbara. So I was motivated to try to have any issues resolved at pickup time.

The quality of the car checked out nicely. Minor paint issue that the sales advisor took care of right away with some alcohol and a rag. Other items seemed in good shape. Two issues cropped up. When I drove away I heard quite a loud rattle from the back. I diagnosed it might be something in the rear hatch. I turned around and headed back to the SC. Even though I had only been of the lot 5 minutes, the SA's first request was that I file a service request through the app. Fortunately when I explained I lived 120 miles away he put somebody on it and had it fixed in 10 minutes. (It was a loose bolt inside the lift gate securing a metal support brace.)

It was a great first drive home. I love the suspension on the MY as I am used to suspension on a sports sedan, being loyal to BMW with 8 of their cars over 30+ years. But I twice experienced phantom breaking with Autopilot. It was a sunny day, there was nobody around me in either case, and no overpasses. The was nobody behind me either, so no ultimate harm, but just a bit unnerving. Again, I knew about this issue from the forum so I didn't worry about it; I only hope Tesla can figure it out and update with a SW fix.

Loving it so far!

Nice to see someone with realistic expectations and willingness to work with a company, I don't think I'm a fan boy in the least bit but some of the last posts I've read make me wonder if any company could please those consumers. Small issues, easy fixes, and a happy customer seems reasonable to me. Am I jealous you have yours and I'm still waiting? Maybe but excited for you none the less!

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
First I want to thank all in the forum fort sharing such great information. I feel I was well informed going into my pickup yesterday (MYLR, induction wheels, Red, tow hitch). I live in Paso Robles on the CA Central Coast, about 120 miles from my nearest Tesla SC. One is about 120 miles north in Monterey (Seaside - the one I chose) and one about 120 miles south in Santa Barbara. So I was motivated to try to have any issues resolved at pickup time.

The quality of the car checked out nicely. Minor paint issue that the sales advisor took care of right away with some alcohol and a rag. Other items seemed in good shape. Two issues cropped up. When I drove away I heard quite a loud rattle from the back. I diagnosed it might be something in the rear hatch. I turned around and headed back to the SC. Even though I had only been of the lot 5 minutes, the SA's first request was that I file a service request through the app. Fortunately when I explained I lived 120 miles away he put somebody on it and had it fixed in 10 minutes. (It was a loose bolt inside the lift gate securing a metal support brace.)

It was a great first drive home. I love the suspension on the MY as I am used to suspension on a sports sedan, being loyal to BMW with 8 of their cars over 30+ years. But I twice experienced phantom breaking with Autopilot. It was a sunny day, there was nobody around me in either case, and no overpasses. The was nobody behind me either, so no ultimate harm, but just a bit unnerving. Again, I knew about this issue from the forum so I didn't worry about it; I only hope Tesla can figure it out and update with a SW fix.

Loving it so far!

Congratulation --

Nice that they were able to fix the issue quickly --
It seems like the phantom issue has popped up with others and would hope a software fix it or at the very least will make that better.

Nice to see someone with realistic expectations and willingness to work with a company, I don't think I'm a fan boy in the least bit but some of the last posts I've read make me wonder if any company could please those consumers. Small issues, easy fixes, and a happy customer seems reasonable to me. Am I jealous you have yours and I'm still waiting? Maybe but excited for you none the less!
You spend $50k on a car and it comes more like a $30k car and “those consumers” are wrong to be upset? I love how people still high on the “hurry up and wait” infancy portion of their Tesla experience and have all of these opinions on how seasoned Tesla customers should act. Funny.

I'm pretty sure Tesla has said there's a ramp up to the autopilot's programming. I remember when we picked up our 2018 Model 3 LR RWD we were told that and to expect EAP not to light up for the first 50 miles or so. We also experienced phantom braking early on, but it was fixed on the roads/freeways we were driving on daily and subsequent software updates.