Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quickest power failure according to roadside assistance on our new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_9461.jpeg

Lol, so excited yesterday to pick up my wife’s Y. We got both chargers all prepped and got her some cool accessories. Just totally stoked. Got her exact match from inventory so it came super fast. They spelled her name wrong in a funny way on the congratulations sign and I jokingly said it’s a bad omen. I asked the sales guy what kind of inspection is done on existing inventory and if it’s just sitting in a lot until purchased. He assured me a thorough 40point inspection as we walked out to take the car home. Wife wanted me to drive it home and she took the kids in my 3. I got about 3 miles down the road and kept getting service lights and then this dreaded red power shut down. Luckily had barely enough juice to pull over as I fortunately hit a green light so I wouldn’t be stuck at a busy intersection.
Odometer had 5 miles when we picked up the car and was at 8 miles when the power failure occurred.

Had no way of contacting our pickup location and the main Tesla number said they have no way of quickly reaching them by phone either. It was near closing time so I wanted to reach them to tell them I was getting towed back and what happened. 120 minutes is what roadside estimated for pickup. Then miraculously @ 6:54 the car was able to shift into drive so I got it to the service center where we picked up as they were closing.

I did appreciate they got me a loaner though as we just got rid of her old car. First time in 5 years I ever got a loaner, but I can imagine that this is a pretty exceptionally bad scenario and if any situation warrants a loaner, this would be it.

Just a damn shame. So excited and the pickup experience ruined. Took me a while to convince the wife of going electric and then this happens within the first few minutes of driving the car.

Here’s the previous error codes just before it shut down if any of you happen to know the codes. Could it be the 12V if it indeed was just sitting in a lot? I’ve been watching this model for at least 3 weeks so it’s at least that old.
IMG_9467.jpeg

Last edited:
Did not know that. Could this still occur with the 16V if the car is just sitting on a lot unused for an extended time?

I dont know if sitting for an extended period of time is a factor or not, but I have seen a few people impacted by bad 16V batteries. It is true that all new model Ys come with a factory OEM lithium ion battery, but its also true that its just a part just like any other part, so a few may be bad.

I didnt think that gives you the "pull over safely" message though, but I dont work for Tesla or anything.

Hope they get you sorted out quickly. having a new car break down would be frustrating. It has happened to me before, but not with Tesla. My wife had an X5 that we ordered, that had a ton of electrical gremins right after pickup that we ended up having to get them to buy it back. Once you get stranded in a car, it takes some time to trust it again.

Anyway, good luck with it, hope they get it sorted out quickly.

Take heart, rhe MY did not get to number 1 globally being a terrible gremlin laden vehicle.
We have two perfect Teslas right from the jump.
You just hit one bad component that will be replaced and back on your way.
Good luck

Reactions: wman
I dont know if sitting for an extended period of time is a factor or not, but I have seen a few people impacted by bad 16V batteries. It is true that all new model Ys come with a factory OEM lithium ion battery, but its also true that its just a part just like any other part, so a few may be bad.

I didnt think that gives you the "pull over safely" message though, but I dont work for Tesla or anything.

Hope they get you sorted out quickly. having a new car break down would be frustrating. It has happened to me before, but not with Tesla. My wife had an X5 that we ordered, that had a ton of electrical gremins right after pickup that we ended up having to get them to buy it back. Once you get stranded in a car, it takes some time to trust it again.

Anyway, good luck with it, hope they get it sorted out quickly.
Yeah my wife has goofy lucky with new cars. We got her a new car years ago and the engine died the first week. Had to get an entire new engine. It was covered but she’s always like “this always happens to me with cars 🤦🏻‍♂️ “.

Check errors in the service menu. It can be many things. I'm currently chasing an issue with the Tesla service center with vehicle "loosing power" suddenly and throwing almost exactly the same user-mode errors as yours. However, the service menu actually lists 40-50 codes stating CAN bus errors, so most likely a broken harness somewhere shorting the CAN and not LVB.

I spoke with the manager and also said there’s a large gap in the trunk alignment and she said they’d fix it since they have the car. Also as a backup I messaged with the app pics as requested and about 7 messages since Friday. They call my wife and says it’s ready. When she asked about the trunk, service rep says “we didn’t know about the trunk”. Tesla support line said they can see that they reviewed the photos I sent. ****ing ridiculous.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I spoke with the manager and also said there’s a large gap in the trunk alignment and she said they’d fix it since they have the car. Also as a backup I messaged with the app pics as requested and about 7 messages since Friday. They call my wife and says it’s ready. When she asked about the trunk, service rep says “we didn’t know about the trunk”. Tesla support line said they can see that they reviewed the photos I sent. ****ing ridiculous.
Ahhh. Tesla service. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes you’re just another number.
Sorry about your issues, I’ve got my 5th in a month and a half of ownership scheduled.

Ahhh. Tesla service. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes you’re just another number.
Sorry about your issues, I’ve got my 5th in a month and a half of ownership scheduled.
Well I talked to the manager when I got in and he was very friendly and was up front and apologized and wanted to see if he could give me a free mobile charger for the trouble. That made this angry boy happy right away. So, wife is happy now and I’m not as irritated.