Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75d 2017 charging at 17kW AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the UK and recently purchased a used 75D 2017. I thought the car maxed out at about 11kW on AC 3 phase charging (16A). But I plugged into a public 22kW AC 3 phase charger and I was pleasantly surprised to see it charging at a rate of around 16.5 to 17kW.

I vaguely remember 11kW (16A, 3 phase) was standard charging and the high powered charger was 16.5kW (24A, 3 phase) but this was an optional extra.

So question is, was this higher power an optional extra or was it standard?

I'm in US, so am calibrated more to charing amps on single phase, but i believe the kW rating of the on-board chargers are the same, just with 3-phase you'll see lower current for equivalent power.

The base charger in US was a 48 amp, which would at 240 volt single phase be 11.5 kW, so aligns with your understanding of the on-board charger maxing out a ~11 kW. This is what my mid-2016 MS90D has.

However, there was a window of time with a 72 amp on-board charger, so 1.5x the capacity. This would match what you state as a 24 amp 3-phase capability. This was standard for a while on the 100D models, but was an optional upgrade that was available at the time of purchase for other models. This would equate to just over 17 kW. So it would seem that the car you have actually has this upgraded charger based upon what you are seeing.

I forget when Tesla went away from offering this upgrade at the time of purchase. I don't think it was available by the end of 2017, but I wouldn't take my vague memory as definitive statement.

I'm in the UK and recently purchased a used 75D 2017. I thought the car maxed out at about 11kW on AC 3 phase charging (16A). But I plugged into a public 22kW AC 3 phase charger and I was pleasantly surprised to see it charging at a rate of around 16.5 to 17kW.

I vaguely remember 11kW (16A, 3 phase) was standard charging and the high powered charger was 16.5kW (24A, 3 phase) but this was an optional extra.

So question is, was this higher power an optional extra or was it standard?
First gen was 11kW (3x16A) with an optional duo charger (another 11kW so total of 22kW or 3x32A)

Later (2017?) they discontinued the duo charger option and they went with a 17kW single charger (3x25A) instead