Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the answer to this is a big time yes. The price difference was absurd for what you got. From their end the cost is the same to manufacture. It wouldn't surprise me if the 60/75 split was greater than 80/20. At that rate you actually make more money doing what they are doing where you just raise the price by $2k and make them all 75s.

Plus it basically makes no difference for most peoples' daily driving or road tripping. It's going to be a painful road trip if you needed to supercharge that last 20% of the battery (which would effectively double or triple the charging time versus a 90D/100D charging to the same rated mileage), so basically it's for people with occasional access to L2 charging or whose daily driving is in that 210-250mi range….

IMO the 60/60D was a steal because it gave you most of the practical benefits of a 75 while paying a lot less.

I think the answer to this is a big time yes. The price difference was absurd for what you got. From their end the cost is the same to manufacture. It wouldn't surprise me if the 60/75 split was greater than 80/20. At that rate you actually make more money doing what they are doing where you just raise the price by $2k and make them all 75s.
Any guesses as to how many 60's were sold? how many have converted before this "sale" how many will be left after this round of conversions?

If I was to be a hold out - would I be forced/coerced into upgrade?

Any guesses as to how many 60's were sold? how many have converted before this "sale" how many will be left after this round of conversions?

If I was to be a hold out - would I be forced/coerced into upgrade?

What do you mean by forced/coerced into upgrade? It's not like they're going to send you a bill demanding that you purchase the upgrade…

And I don't think they'll give it to you for free down the road. They'll certainly give the next buyer the upgrade "for free" :D

I am doing exactly this. At 10:00, I started charging toward 100% of my 60 kw pack. When full, I'll change the pack to a 75 kw pack and see if I have any more headroom.

btw - whats this about increasing my top speed to 140 mph? Should be the same wiring and amp flow. I don't know what my top speed (capability) is now. Never wanted to test it out. Last time I drove over 100 mph, [in my 1975 turbo Porsche] I did not feel safe. In my current MS, I've hit 98 mph when passing - and only hit that speed when I looked down and WowThatFastThat Soon? The car might be able, but the driver is not.
I just filled my 60 kw battery to 100% [219 miles] - then upgraded to the 75 kw. Upgrade took less than 5 min - closer to 2 min -
Immediately, the car began charging. I paused, and checked Tesla.app and indeed shows that my 100% charged car was now at about 85%. I am now charging again, to see what my new top range is indicated to be. (guessing to be +44, or 263 miles). I will then let the battery cool a bit, then go for a drive to burn off a few miles and return the battery to the 90% max charge.

I jumped on this $2K deal as soon as I saw this thread! Didn't want to regret walking up tomorrow and the deal was gone.

Does anyone believe this price will go back up?

I don't think it'll go up in the future - it's not a "sale". In fact, I'm wondering if and when it'll drop some more.. hopeful for $1,000 or less by end of this year? :)

Reactions: Sawyer8888
I just filled my 60 kw battery to 100% [219 miles] - then upgraded to the 75 kw. Upgrade took less than 5 min - closer to 2 min -
Immediately, the car began charging. I paused, and checked Tesla.app and indeed shows that my 100% charged car was now at about 85%.

That matches pretty well with WK057 saying that 100% on a 60 showed as 86% in the BMS.

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug
I'm still confused by a lot of this. Why is this something you need to jump on immediately. Its TWO THOUSAND dollars for a few miles more in reality? Are you telling me you cannot find a super-charger before that or are going to stretch it to that extra few miles everytime you head out?

I can understand if we can charge to 250+ everytime and get a full 50-60 miles over the 60 EVERY single time. But in reality that hardly seems to be the case. Most 60 owners are charging to 190-200 AFAIK and most 75 owners are not going to charge more than 220. So thats a delta of 20-30 miles MAX and even so the 200+ charging will take so long on the 75, you may not bother going past it.

I can only imagine if someone has a regular 250 odd commute and has home charging to charge 100% overnight, but even so you will be charging to 100% one too many times which is detrimental. So for the few times you MAY end up having to go a few dozen miles more you are paying $2000? Or is it only because it seems like a "DEAL" or Bargain since it was dropped $5000 like a firesale of some sort?

If any of the above is wrong, do let me know, I'm new to all this

It sounds like I may be in the minority here, but I have a small amount of regret after taking delivery last month and seeing the 75D version of my 60D with glass roof being the same price.

I guess I'm not in any hurry to spend another $2k for something I'd rarely use/need, and I don't quite follow the "owners of 60s lucked out" logic.

I really enjoy my car and knowingly paid what I thought it was worth, but in some respects I just lost another $2k in value (or rather would cost me $2k to get parity with the 75D now being offered at the price I paid for 60D).

Not going to lose sleep over it, though. Still a badass car.

It sounds like I may be in the minority here, but I have a small amount of regret after taking delivery last month and seeing the 75D version of my 60D with glass roof being the same price.

I guess I'm not in any hurry to spend another $2k for something I'd rarely use/need, and I don't quite follow the "owners of 60s lucked out" logic.

I really enjoy my car and knowingly paid what I thought it was worth, but in some respects I just lost another $2k in value (or rather would cost me $2k to get parity with the 75D now being offered at the price I paid for 60D).

Not going to lose sleep over it, though. Still a badass car.

We lost even more than $2k in value. The 75 is now Retailing at the price we paid for it until a week ago. That means deprectiation on this would be what it was for our car, hence the 60's value went down even further for no fault of ours other than jumping on the Tesla bandwagon.

Now asking $2k is adding insult to injury, the least they could've done is said all 60 buyers AFTER the price increase will get it for free.

And to muddy the waters even more, Elon just tweeted:

"Tesla will soon be offering a compelling means of upgrading a 60 to a 75"

What does this mean?? Temporary upgrades for a single trip? Subscription upgrades?

This was a reactionary reply to someone suggesting to him that he should call out this new upgrade path.

This is not a second cycle of this news story that something even newer and more compelling than the 2K upgrade is forthcoming. He's talking about the news of today.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and Mickie
I just think it's crazy there is no air susp. option for the 75 but the free powerliftgate and glass roof is just sick. I think Tesla will add back the air susp. option but that's just my opinion.

And I think in some ways, it's pretty unfair that Tesla was enticing the "get the 60" while you can and now the 75 is such a deal compared with the old 60. Old 60/75 owners resale value just got destroyed, but it comes with the territory I guess.

Also probably nice if you consider putting a roof rack or hitch on at some point. A 60 can easily make it between all the SCs now but I'm not sure in cold weather with a skibox on the roof.
It may be true in California but I think there many areas of the US where Superchargers are a tough reach for a 60 depending on weather and elevation.

But just getting between two different Superchargers traveling one way isn't the only issue. I know the extra 40 miles will be the difference between frequent roundtrips between Phoenix and Tucson with my just converted to a 75 Model S vs my hybrid. With my 60, a full charge at Casa Grande Supercharger and then traveling to my usual destination in East Tucson and back to the Supercharger in Casa Grande was a challenge even with conservative speeds and AC usage. Fortunately that route doesn't have major elevation or cold weather issues or else I would have been in tough shape, especially since destination chargers in Tucson aren't plentiful or handy for my typical trip. But with that extra 40 miles, my commute should be a breeze, for sure eliminating the need for Casa Grande stops going and returning. Perhaps I may need a boost on the return trip but might be able to skip Supercharging altogether.

Reactions: Qbenjamin