Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Countries/2000 mile road trip in an SR+ - Observations from the continent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip was compliant with covid regulations in the UK and the European leg was permitted due to compassionate exemption.

1. Car details
  • 2020 TM3 SR+
  • No heat pump
  • No aero covers
  • 3rd party mud flaps front and rear
  • Tyre pressures ~45 PSI
  • 2021 Maps.

2. Route Map
Scotland > England > Wales > England > Netherlands > Germany > Poland > Czechia > Slovakia

The detour to Pembrokeshire was for a wedding. As expected, this was the hardest part of the journey in terms of charging, however after fiddling with some engenie and podpoint account setup it wasn't too tricky.

View attachment 683167

3. Charges

View attachment 683168

4. Observations

I didn't make any alterations to my usual driving style, so no attempt at hypermiling or being cautious with the acceleration. I managed to have some fun on the auto-bahn. I've done similar trips in a BMW E39, E61, Audi A6 (all estate) and Jaguar X308 so they're a point of reference for my observations.

• The car knew I was in NL and the LTE signal was active before I'd disembarked the ferry. I'd read about the need to reset the car when arriving on the continent but this was not required.
  • Being able to quickly switch the display from miles to KM was really useful.
  • Autopilot seemed a lot more confident, far less jerky compared to the UK. I don't enjoy using it in the UK but did around 20% of the trip with it in Europe.
  • No phantom breaking issues occurred. I passed loads of curtain sided lorries and when passing noticed they jumped away from the car on the visualisation rather than toward the car.
  • The speed sign recognition and map speed is dangerously wrong, especially in Germany. Many issues of no speed limit enforced where it was actually 120 and failure to recognise reduced speed limits due to roadworks. It's often hard to know what the speed limit is when in a foreign country, especially if the limit is enforced when certain conditions apply, and you don't understand the language that's written below the speed limit. I'll probably setup waze for the return leg, just to handle the speed limits.
  • Speed limits aside, the navigation was spot on, It's really clever how it works out which superchargers you need to visit and for how long.
  • The leg between Dresden and Wroclaw was probably the tightest for range, I was advised to charge to 100% to arrive with 6%. I was also told to keep my speed under 120kph, I did this for the first 10 minutes, the warning then went away, and ultimately I arrived with 21%, far more than the 6% forecast.
  • I was flashed once by an oncoming vehicle when my lights were dipped, so not sure if that was just a friendly local or if the lights would benefit from some adjustment to driving on the right hand side of the road.
  • Many of the superchargers visited were on the forecourts of petrol stations (Gulf, Shell, Orlen). This makes sense to me yet not something I've seen in the UK yet.

Overall I found the SR+ to be a comfortable and competent tourer compared to my previous rides. Most of the time I was ready to stop and take a break when I needed to charge. I suspect with the LR or P I would have been able to reduce the charges stops/time charging and make the journey a bit quicker.
The EU leg took around 19 hours including stops, by the time I got to Poland though, I think I was probably the slow factor rather than the car as I'd already been driving for around 14 hours at that point.

I'm due to drive back in a month, fingers crossed the FSD/EAP subscription is active then as I'd love to activate that for the return leg.

Many thanks to @spdpsba and @noelebob as your Tesla Referral miles covered this trip, ultimately I spent around £30 to do the 1985 miles.
If you started with 45 PSI, What was the highest PSI during this journey ?

Leaving on Monday!

I've not done Italy in an EV but have driven there quite a bit in a few ICE cars. For charging on the main route, I'd suggest just not worrying about it and letting Tesla do it's thing. On my last trip across Europe I'd planned out the stops meticulously with ABRP, that plan was just unnecessary and quickly became inconvenient to remember where I'd pre-planned to stop. I followed the Tesla nav suggestions instead. It'll have a better understanding of local conditions on the day than ABRP, IMO.

Charging at/around the destination may take a bit more forethought. If you're planning to use the UMC, Italy seems to have 3 variants of the Schuko. Type C being the standard you'll find in Europe, Type F with the earth clips on either side, then they also have the Type L, which is 3 horizontal round pins. Tesla sell an adapter for this in their store (as well as the regular Schuko), you may want to pick it up if you think you can charge at your accommodation (and reach the socket), otherwise, public chargers support type 2 and CCS.

I'm planning to use Octopus Electroverse for local public charging. The idea of having a single card that's operable with many providers that gets billed back to your home electricity bill is really appealing. Eastern Europe has surprisingly good coverage, worth checking if the same for Italy.

Feel free to send a DM if you'd prefer.
Thanks Adam and helpful as always. I’ll find those variants of Schuko. Predominently going to use SC but not sure about my accomodation whether they have any DC. I quickly checked the map and there is a SC nearby, so if I can’t figure out the Schuko variants I’ll use the SC. Thanks for the info regarding Octopus Electroverse, I’ll use that - looks like has good coverage in Italy too.

Will message if need anything. And you have a lovely break. Waiting to hear from you about your long trip!

Reactions: Medved_77
we drove from windsor - eurotunnel - through france/switzerland to basically the mont blanc tunnel (stayed in switzerland though). It made me think about doing an Italy road trip. We had a toll pass RF thing and stuck to the main roads and it was great. I planned stops based on when we might want to stop but there are so many aires in France and lots of charge points I almost think you could do the whole of Calais-Swiss border without even planning anything. Perhaps try and do stopovers at hotels with destination chargers or nearby rapids which helped us a lot. but the on-road part was piss easy.

Mostly superchargers but also did a fastned which just happened to be at a service area we stopped at to save time and that was contactless payment so didn't use any apps or RFID cards etc.

Don't know about Italy though but at least getting to it should be stress free.
Very helpful. I am also thinking of the same route and I also have another option in terms of my destination. I have done the MB tunnel in my BMW M3 and I don’t think Tesla M3 is going to beat that aural sound unfortunately. But would love to do the tunnel again! Any RFID cards you know other than Octopus elecroverse? Stopovers at hotels with DC is a good idea. Will try and do that.

Very helpful. I am also thinking of the same route and I also have another option in terms of my destination. I have done the MB tunnel in my BMW M3 and I don’t think Tesla M3 is going to beat that aural sound unfortunately. But would love to do the tunnel again! Any RFID cards you know other than Octopus elecroverse? Stopovers at hotels with DC is a good idea. Will try and do that.

nope. Just contactless and electroverse. Some mentioned others for france but if you're going main routes I don't think it'd be needed. As mentioned above we also mostly abandoned the ABRP print outs and let the car nav handle things.

Reactions: spdpsba
nope. Just contactless and electroverse. Some mentioned others for france but if you're going main routes I don't think it'd be needed. As mentioned above we also mostly abandoned the ABRP print outs and let the car nav handle things.
Thanks, in terms of recovery services, is the Tesla one is enough? I am dreading puncture and my inability to fix this other than carrying a spare and call one of the recovery services. I also have one of the AA or RAC subscription something I can’t remember. Hope this is enough. I am not as resourceful as Adam @Medved_77 or other members when it comes to repairing the car unfortunately.

I'm sure if you started a thread on Tesla recovery opinions it'd be an active one :) I've not had experience of needing it luckily, but didn't get anything extra. There was enough to fuss about already

- toll tag to simplify toll gates
- sticker thing for travelling on swiss motorways
- added euro coverage to insurance

guessing maybe you need equivalent for Italian motorways? not sure

Thanks, in terms of recovery services, is the Tesla one is enough? I am dreading puncture and my inability to fix this other than carrying a spare and call one of the recovery services. I also have one of the AA or RAC subscription something I can’t remember.
Double check the AA/RAC cover includes European breakdown cover. I've not used Tesla roadside assistance but wouldn't be comfortable with relying on that solely. Personally, I have European breakdown cover included (repatriation, car hire, expenses etc) with my bank account (Nationwide Flex Plus) which is bundled as a package with phone/key/travel insurance and a few other items for around £12 a month.

Charging at/around the destination may take a bit more forethought. If you're planning to use the UMC, Italy seems to have 3 variants of the Schuko. Type C being the standard you'll find in Europe, Type F with the earth clips on either side, then they also have the Type L, which is 3 horizontal round pins. Tesla sell an adapter for this in their store (as well as the regular Schuko), you may want to pick it up if you think you can charge at your accommodation (and reach the socket), otherwise, public chargers support type 2 and CCS.
Tesla shop have the regular Schuko and Italian adapter - not sure which one is compatible. Can the regular Schuko one can be used in Italy?

Tesla shop have the regular Schuko and Italian adapter - not sure which one is compatible. Can the regular Schuko one can be used in Italy?
I think the answer depends on the age of the building (or its electrics) that you'll be staying in. There's more info on wikipedia but as a brief history, until the 1950s, electrical supply in some parts of the country was delivered via different consumer connections, one for lights and one for other(s) which operated at different voltages, on different meters and on different tariffs.

Newer sockets have adopted the standard Schuko that's used in most of Europe, so if you're only going to buy one, I'd go with that.

1687959526564.png

Edit: Went deeper into the rabbit hole and read this:

Last edited:
I think the answer depends on the age of the building (or its electrics) that you'll be staying in. There's more info on wikipedia but as a brief history, until the 1950s, electrical supply in some parts of the country was delivered via different consumer connections, one for lights and one for other(s) which operated at different voltages, on different meters and on different tariffs.

Newer sockets have adopted the standard Schuko that's used in most of Europe, so if you're only going to buy one, I'd go with that.

View attachment 951488

Thanks Adam, I’ll check with the resort and clarify this. Much appreciated.

As mentioned above we also mostly abandoned the ABRP print outs and let the car nav handle things.

On cross-continental journeys I have used ABRP to decide on e.g. West vs. East route, and also where we are likely to be at various times, and which would be best for the lunch stop etc. Other than that, having picked a route, as you say, I've just gone with what SatNav tells me for next Supercharger - on the basis that Traffic / weather will impact my consumption

ABRP allows setting a Start Time, and also a Departure Time for any stops so, for example, an overnight stop can set a set-off time and then the "lunch time" point on the journey will be apparent. With ICE we used to drive off the motorway and find a nice restaurant, with EV we are more inclined to plan on what looks to be a well appointed refuelling motorway stop, which also has Supercharger, so now I plan that, whereas with ICE we took pot-luck on finding a restaurant.

I am dreading puncture and my inability to fix this other than carrying a spare and call one of the recovery services

We take the MS on those sorts of journeys - more spacious, huge boot, and we take an "other season" wheel with us, which would enable roadside assistance to fit that so we could get to a town for a proper repair - but unlikely to find the right sized tire other than "Tomorrow delivery".

I also carry a patch kit (not had to use it, but I reckon I could do myself [i.e. without taking wheel off the car - e.g. a screw in the main part of the tyre]), and an aerosol "gunk and re-inflate tyre" (in that situation I don't care if QuikFit/similar will say the tyre is not repairable), and also a 12V cigarette lighter tyre-pump.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Never bothered to look there, I am ashamed of myself! In the supposedly high tech Tesla world 12v was the least highlighted or reviewed item, so never bothered to look for it! It is almost 21/2 years before knowing that model 3 also has a 12v!
The 12v socket has its uses ... there's room for an inverter in the armrest compartment that's suitable for running mains voltage items like standard charger for a laptop ... or plug in an adapter for an extra double USB socket or whatever ... as well as running the tyre pump ...

• Helpful
The 12v socket has its uses ... there's room for an inverter in the armrest compartment that's suitable for running mains voltage items like standard charger for a laptop ... or plug in an adapter for an extra double USB socket or whatever ... as well as running the tyre pump ...
During my younger days I use that for only one purpose - just as it says on the tin. I remember in those days when I buy cars I used to look for two of them as standard - as one will be occupied with that old lovely tomtom, so you need a second 12v lighter to light a cigarette. Since stopped smoking I have never looked for it and I guess my love for tomtom had died with that too!