Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did our first Autopilot trip. From Brisbane to Burleigh Heads and back. Absolutely not a single issue. 40 mins driving without an interruption. All down the M1 Pacific Mwy at 110kmh. I am very impressed.

Changes lanes on its own really well. After signalling and holding the wheel slightly it does the rest.
Also it responds much better when someone cuts in front of you too.

But you feel so much more relaxed arriving at your destination. Highway use is what AP is designed for and I can't wait to see the improvements and new features they add.

Last edited:
Thanks DrWho, but due to massive toothache trip cancelled.
However, next time I go up I would love to take you up on you offer and meet a fellow Teslarian.
Davide you can recharge at my place, we are 11km from Bright
Also same goes for any one who wants a charge at this end of the woods.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info Aussie Yank. Family and I were really looking forward to the trip.
Davide...where are you going to recharge on the Bright trip. Wodonga, or some other spot. The resort near there is closed for the season, although they have two destination chargers.

we are going from Sydney to Bairnsdale tomorrow. We can recharge in Wodonga and make it there, but had a bit of an issue to recharge in Bairnsdale before heading to
Melbourne. We found a electrical supply shop who will lend us his 3 phase power for three hours which should work for us

good travels

For those that have been logging your firmware updates at the ev-fw.com firmware tracker there is now an option to specify your country. Please "edit" your car and change it to Australia.

If you haven't been logging your updates there, please consider doing so. It makes it easy to see if firmware updates are progressing, or have paused for whatever reason.

Done. Now 6 from Australia.

We took a long drive today, taking the big loop over the Bridge, Lane Cove Tunnel, M2 and Bells line of road out to Mount Wilson for lunch. I turned on Autopilot on parts of the Bells line of road, which for those not familiar gets quite twisty at some points, the car seems to adjust its speed below the set 80 Km/h to take account of the tight radius of some of the corners. I thought corner speed sensing was not released yet and part of 7.1. Did I imagine it?

It's purely speculation at this stage as to what they might 'lock down'. It might simply be things like using the belt and seat sensors to prevent idiotic out-of-seat shenanigans. Tesla quite clearly made a deliberate decision to not require hands on the wheel at all times so they would probably be reluctant to reverse that as a knee jerk reaction. Here's hoping a few idiots haven't made things substantially less convenient for everyone...

Here's hoping a few idiots haven't made things substantially less convenient for everyone...

In my opinion, it is unfair to consider edge case testers "idiots".

What Tesla said about autopilot:
"Use it on divided highways with clear lane markings only"
"Keep your hands on the wheel"

What Tesla did not say about autopilot:
- how it works - exactly what is it looking for
- where it works well
- how and where it learns
- how and where it *fails*

Instead, we have to work all of this out for ourselves.

There is now a wealth of written and video information out there on how autopilot works and where it fails to work. My use of it is therefore much safer than it would be without this information.

It's purely speculation at this stage as to what they might 'lock down'. It might simply be things like using the belt and seat sensors to prevent idiotic out-of-seat shenanigans. Tesla quite clearly made a deliberate decision to not require hands on the wheel at all times so they would probably be reluctant to reverse that as a knee jerk reaction. Here's hoping a few idiots haven't made things substantially less convenient for everyone...

I thought the car already goes in to park if you lift out of drivers seat?

In my opinion, it is unfair to consider edge case testers "idiots".

What Tesla said about autopilot:
"Use it on divided highways with clear lane markings only"
"Keep your hands on the wheel"

What Tesla did not say about autopilot:
- how it works - exactly what is it looking for
- where it works well
- how and where it learns
- how and where it *fails*

Instead, we have to work all of this out for ourselves.

There is now a wealth of written and video information out there on how autopilot works and where it fails to work. My use of it is therefore much safer than it would be without this information.

There's a big difference between 'edge case testers' doing some cautious assessment of failure modes in sensible circumstances and people blatantly misusing the system and claiming it almost killed them, or sitting in the back seat...

people blatantly misusing the system and claiming it almost killed them, or sitting in the back seat....
I have seen *no* evidence of either of these thing happening when referring to the actual primary source material rather than the sensationalist headlines or media re-quoting.

So you haven't seen this video that made the rounds the day after Autopilot was released?

(with an email address for sending commercial licensing requests. No prizes for guessing what his motivation is)

Or seen this thread? Someone-had-to-do-it-(Autopilot-stunt)
(filmed on private roads, but with the express purpose of pushing the limitations of the safety features)

I hope Elon's "some additional constraints" is limited to the driver's seat's weight sensor, but then the "backseat drivers" of the world will simply add a large weight.

driving.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So you haven't seen this video that made the rounds the day after Autopilot was released?

Or seen this thread?
Seen both. The actual *contents* show the autopilot system operating correctly within its designed parameters in both videos and illustrate well what happens when the design parameters are exceeded in ways that Tesla didn't anticipate.

Both are highly informative as to what those parameters actually are, way beyond the limited information provided by Tesla.

Video 1 shows the necessity to always be prepared to immediately take over control of the car if needed.
Video 2 shows up something that Tesla didn't think of when they wrote the autopilot software.

Both enhance our knowledge of how the system operates and suggest needed improvements.
Both enable us to use the auto-pilot system in a safer manner as a result.

It was the same with TACC. It needed several documented collisions with stationary cars in front before it became crystal clear that TACC can't see cars that are already stationary. From memory this information was buried in one of the many, many disclaimers in the release notes, which few people would have read and even fewer appreciated the significance of.