Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 vs 85: initial burst, 0-50 or so - how different does it feel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the reassurance - that worry is exactly what I've been feeling. I can't wait to hit the accelerator and feel that same sense of relief and excitement that not only is it mine, but it's what I get to now drive around all the time.

I've been cruising in my F150 picturing what I'd be doing instead with the MS... just zooming up the hills, zipping around the slow cars. My truck has never felt so ungainly! lol

I drove an Expedition before the Model S. You might as well trade in your F150 ... you're never going to want to drive it ;-)

I've driven the 60, 85 and P85. They all have a similar feel from a stop. The difference between the 60 and the 85 that I noticed was the 85 builds up more power to get to the max kW output, which the 60 uses the max from the get go (albeit lower total output). So the sensation of a linear torque curve is greater on the 60, but the 85 is definitely faster in the 50-90mph range. Not enough for me to care to get the 85. The P85 is crazy fast, although I didn't get a back to back comparison since it was on a test drive a few months ago. Either way, they all deliver impressive performance. If you can afford the P85 I would get it, but if not the 60's performance is excellent. I don't need the range so the 85 was never a consideration (actually I have a software limited 60 which is plenty).

Yeah, I thought about that but I don't think I want to take my Model S on camping trips or down to SanO with a surfboard strapped on the top. At least, not quite yet :tongue:

People have taken their cars on camping trips. you just have to plan well to make sure there are charging stations available. Download the Apps Recargo/PlugShare and Chargepoint onto your smartphone to locate them. You will need to apply for Blink and Chargepoint access cards to use many of the charging stations (at least here in SoCal). I've driven my 60 to Palm Springs and San Diego, without problems (although range anxiety was there). and the Apps helped out greatly! BTW, if you are in OC (since you surf in SanO), I have a Tesla OC group if you are interested.

Yep, it's here.http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16464-Minnesota-Test-Drives?p=351092&viewfull=1#post351092

@Colasec: There is HUGE difference between the 85 and the P85, and you don't need to test them one after the other to notice. There is only a small difference between the 60 and the 85 in the 0-40 mph range (you have to measure it with an accelerometer to tell), but the good news is that it is the 60 that is faster than the 85.

@J in MN, while I'd like to believe you. The actual 0-60mph or 0-100km/h is faster for a 85 isn't it? might have to do with empirical conditions?

The actual 0-60mph or 0-100km/h is faster for a 85 isn't it? might have to do with empirical conditions?

Yes, 0-100 km/h is faster for an 85 because the maximum power of the 85 is 270 kW, while the maximum power for a 60 is only 225 kW. This means that the 85 can maintain its maximum acceleration for a longer time (up to a higher speed: power = torque * speed) than the 60 can, thus beating it to 100 km/h.

So, 0-60 km/h the 60 wins. 0-100 km/h the 85 wins.