Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 Amp Workplace Charging EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm working to add additional EV charging capability to our office/plant. We already have an existing Schneider station with 2X 200 VAC, 30 Amp output. I'm looking to install additional 2X 200 VAC, 60 Hz, 48 Amp output, which basically means I'm looking for 60 Amp charging equipment.

I'm looking for a robust outdoor pedestal type station. The charging will be used by multiple cars, for 10 hours a day.

the only thing I have found is the Clipper Creek HCS-60 mounted on a pedestal and it looks like junk.

However, I have not been able to find a better looking station that support 60 Amp. All the good looking stations only support up to 30 amps (6 kw) or so..... such as this Bosch station
Does anybody have any recommendations? and no... I can't put in a HPWC (I have a Tesla Long Range myself, but they will not approve a charger install that only my car can use as no one else yet has a Tesla).

For reference this is what our current 6 year old Schneider unit looks like.

someone will also probably suggest I install 25 kW DCFC... yes I can bring 480 VAC 3-phase and install DCFC and I can use a ChaDemo adapter... most of the cars onsite do have DCFC charging capability, but that is certainly beyond the budget.

Thanks

I don't think you're missing much. There aren't many choices >32A. The only choices I know of for 60A are Clipper Creek, JuiceBox Pro 75, and Tesla Wall Connector (optionally with J1772).

Good luck.

Thanks for the Juice Box... Supports up to 75 Amp. I think it looks better than the Clipper Creek, but the Clipper Creek has a lock option which would be more preferable.

It's a shame there aren't more better looking options. More and more cars are coming with 9.6 kW and up level 2 charging.

That Tesla HPWC with a J1772... WTH? I wonder if that company has even a single sale?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm working to add additional EV charging capability to our office/plant. We already have an existing Schneider station with 2X 200 VAC, 30 Amp output. I'm looking to install additional 2X 200 VAC, 60 Hz, 48 Amp output, which basically means I'm looking for 60 Amp charging equipment.

I'm looking for a robust outdoor pedestal type station. The charging will be used by multiple cars, for 10 hours a day.

the only thing I have found is the Clipper Creek HCS-60 mounted on a pedestal and it looks like junk.

However, I have not been able to find a better looking station that support 60 Amp. All the good looking stations only support up to 30 amps (6 kw) or so..... such as this Bosch station
Does anybody have any recommendations? and no... I can't put in a HPWC (I have a Tesla Long Range myself, but they will not approve a charger install that only my car can use as no one else yet has a Tesla).

For reference this is what our current 6 year old Schneider unit looks like.

someone will also probably suggest I install 25 kW DCFC... yes I can bring 480 VAC 3-phase and install DCFC and I can use a ChaDemo adapter... most of the cars onsite do have DCFC charging capability, but that is certainly beyond the budget.

Thanks
You may want to investigate how FEW cars can even charge that fast. I'd much rather a company have more slower chargers than low number of faster chargers. If I don't have to move my car at lunch, that's so much better.

You may want to investigate how FEW cars can even charge that fast. I'd much rather a company have more slower chargers than low number of faster chargers. If I don't have to move my car at lunch, that's so much better.
Very good point.

Six 32 Amp EVSE's that can share a 100 Amp connection adds a whole lot more value to EV workplace infrastructure universe than two 48 Amp plugs.

Reactions: nwdiver and brkaus

There is another side of the equation I did not mention. We are limited to 4 EV charging spaces. 4 chargers is the max we can have. Two existing 30 Amp chargers plus 2 new ones. Given that limitation, I will bring the highest current I see reasonable for the 2 additional chargers, which right now is 2X 60 Amp circuits. I foresee more Teslas next year especially Long Ranges so 60 Amp is needed. Actually if by the time of install and these other LRs arrive, I will have them install 1 X HPWC and 1X J1772.

There is also an incentive for the 60 Amp circuits for 48 Amp charging. They can get my 3LR to finish quicker at 48 A vs 30A, a 60% Increase in speed.

At least I'm glad we no longer have any cars stuck in 3 kW charging anymore like Gen 1 leafs and Volts hog up the chargers all day long.

Last edited:
There is another side of the equation I did not mention. We are limited to 4 EV charging spaces. 4 chargers is the max we can have. Given that limitation, I will bring the highest current I see reasonable for the 2 additional chargers, which right now is 2X 60 Amp circuits.

My electrician says I can bring 2X 100 Amp circuits out there if I want, as the panel has plenty of remaining capacity, but there is no car in the near future that will support 80 Amp continuous AC charging.

If you're interested in going the Wall Connector route, you can hook them up to 277 volts single phase. That will give you a significant boost in charging power over 208 volts but it will only work on Teslas, whereas a J1772 station will work on everything.

I'm curious about the limitation of 4 charging spaces. Can you elaborate?

Reactions: IronQQQ
Tesla has installed HPWCs with J1772 plugs near some Superchargers and some destinations - that’s what you need, but I’m not sure how an individual can obtain that
That's what I was thinking. Depending on how much you wanna pay you could get those J1772 adapters that convert Tesla Wall Connectors to work on other cars: https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-JDapter-Stub-Amp-Upgrade/dp/B07TLJKWG7

Of course, that could be lost or stolen. You could also convert the Well Connector to have a J1772: UMC conversion to J1772 (JESLA)

Both of these are full 80 amp solutions, but more than $200 each. Not sure how much more it would cost to get the Wall Connector from Tesla directly with the J1772 already in place, or if you even could.

Reactions: IronQQQ
If you're interested in going the Wall Connector route, you can hook them up to 277 volts single phase. That will give you a significant boost in charging power over 208 volts but it will only work on Teslas, whereas a J1772 station will work on everything.

I'm curious about the limitation of 4 charging spaces. Can you elaborate?

Wow that is very interesting! Thanks! Did not know that HPWC can accept 480/277 VAC.

The thread for others who are interested Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

Running new 480/277 line would be cost prohibitive right now due to the location of the 480 panels and the length of the run, but for future installations, I see a huge opportunity to have CCS DCFC with 277 HPWC. With 480/277 VAC, wires are thinner and cheaper with no stepdown transformer involved. Tesla really should be promoting this more and fixing the MS and MX onboard chargers to accommodate the voltage fluctuations.

As for 4 spaces... We have 4 spaces carved out in the parking lot for EV. There is also the connotation of EV owners getting unfair treatment.. prime spaces next to the building and free electricity (no free gas to ICE cars), so expansion is unlikely and ev owners will have to just keep switching cars to charge which we do all day as well.

Reactions: Big Earl
This would be news to me. Can you name any?
VW is planning to sell its own branded L2 EVSE that charges up to 11 kW for its upcoming line of "ID" EVs. I don't know if they are talking about single or 3 phase electricity.

The utility of high amp EVSE for workplaces depends on who uses them. A worker who stays 8+ hours at the workplace might be inconvenienced by peer pressure to move the car before the end of the workday. OP knows his local situation the best; I would just say that it is not a given that higher amp EVSE are preferable.

Where I worked they have 40A split pedestals that are reduced to 32 so if you're sharing it's 16A @ 208v and that's plenty. Over an 8 hour shift that's ~25kWh so unless you're driving >40 miles AND not charging at home you don't need more.

Two of my coworkers drive 70 miles each way for work. I think they’re crazy, as my commute is only 8 miles each way, but that’s their situation. 16 amps at 208 volts would just barely cover a one-way commute.

One of those guys is about to move closer in, making it a 30 mile commute each way, but with no home charging options in a basement apartment with street parking. In his case, 16@208 would cover his round trip but leave little extra for errands, weekend activities or commute to another part-time job.

These examples illustrate how fast level 2 charging can enable a much larger group of people to become EV owners.