Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.0 Earthquake Shakes Northern California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
teslamotors website is down, or at least I can't get into it.

It's up.

Anyway, the OMG Richter Scale really doesn't say that much, since it's a measure of the strength at the epicenter, and the effect on the surface depends on depth and the geology. For example, we live about 100ft above sea level in a small city less than a mile from a river, and the last "feelable" quake in Maine was like a train going by our house, but friends who live 30 to 40 miles closer to the surface above the epicenter felt nothing, because they live up a hill, essentially on hundreds of feet of granite covered by a thin layer of soil.

Last edited:
Glad our friends in Napa are well. Woke up yesterday to the swaying - like in a train on badly laid tracks - and ran to check on my son. My home's on reclaimed land in Redwood Shores and that may have exaggerated the swaying but, it felt petty strong.

A reminder that I need to move the tall shelf with some construction material (replacement flooring tiles, etc.) away from Tessie in the garage.

This West Napa quake on a minor fault line is also a reminder that the long overdue one on the nasty Hayward fault and any ol' one on the San Andreas are going to cause some serious damage :shudder:

Tess was in the midst of her nightly recharge when the quake hit and power went out.

Next time you are at the service center, you should get the "DC-DC Boot Loader Update" if you haven't already. In the older cars, if power goes out in the middle of charging or is interrupted (say, if you push the button on the UMC), strange stuff can happen which usually resolves itself after some time. This fix addresses that.

My wife's cousins and aunt are in Napa. All of her Aunts stuff is destroyed. Kitchen cabinets ripped off of the walls. dining cabinet pulled off of wall and broke the dining table. Fridge contents completely emptied and she was stuck in her room. crazy damage there but building is fine. 3rd story small retirement community. ouch. All of her remaining beloved items are pretty trashed, very sad 80+ German woman :<

What do you guys think about any future earthquake threats to the factory? It happens to lie less than a mile from the Hayward Fault, which hasn't produced a major earthquake (>6.7) since 1868 and has a 31% chance of another major quake in the next 22 years (2008 Bay Area Earthquake Probabilities). Also, the factory does not appear to be built on the most idea soil. Here is a soil map I put together from the USGS with the Tesla Factory overlaid:
tesla soil map.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

What do you guys think about any future earthquake threats to the factory? It happens to lie less than a mile from the Hayward Fault, which hasn't produced a major earthquake (>6.7) since 1868 and has a 31% chance of another major quake in the next 22 years (2008 Bay Area Earthquake Probabilities).

The Hayward Fault is one of the most dangerous faults in the U.S., a "tectonic time bomb" according to the USGS. 2-3 million people live on or very close to it. When it lets loose with another big one like it last did in 1868, it will cause widespread devastation to the region, more extensive than anything California has experienced since the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Tesla's factory might survive, but there will probably be no power and many unusable roads/highways for an extended period of time.

The last 5 major earthquakes on the Hayward Fault have occurred at an average interval of 140 years. It's been nearly 146 years since the last major quake on this fault.

I live 4 miles from the Hayward fault, and my EQ insurance is around $2700 a year with a very high deductible.

I live in Bethel Island and my house was shaken pretty hard. My house sits up on stilts and it was quite a ride but no damage, in fact it actually fixed something in my kitchen. The formica had separated from the back splash several months ago and the earthquake pulled it back together. I was amazed! I thought I would have to replace the whole counter top.

FWIW, I was up in Napa/Calistoga/St. Helena over the Labor Day weekend. Pretty much everything is up and running. The locals would love to have you come, visit, stay, eat, drink, etc. It's all good, except for some damage mostly in downtown Napa involving older structures. Roads are fine, traffic surprisingly light. I think some folks were scared off--please don't be.