Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

5% increase in power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure he's referring to 0-60mph with 1ft rollout (which is really 15-60, but whatever). The dragy app has AWD cars consistently at 4.5 0-60 and 4.2 0-60 w/rollout. Must download their app and look through Tesla history. (It's a crappy interface.)

Thanks.

So this might be a dumb question, but I’ll ask anyway...

If it’s the case that Teslas’ 0-60 times suffer a bit at lower SOC, and it’s also the case that Tesla has untapped power, couldn’t they program the software to compensate for that and deliver the same 0-60 time even at lower SOC?

Would mitigate the temptation to keep the battery up around 90% just for the fun acceleration, if 70-80% is better for battery health.

If it’s the case that Teslas’ 0-60 times suffer a bit at lower SOC, and it’s also the case that Tesla has untapped power, couldn’t they program the software to compensate for that and deliver the same 0-60 time even at lower SOC?
It has been reported that the Performance in Track Mode does something like this. There is very little power drop-off running even very low SOC. What isn't know is how much damage this does to the battery causing longterm degradation of ability to store charge, which is the real constraint on doing that sort of thing.

Extraordinarily claims require extraordinary evidence.
First off, I said "reported" expressly for emphasis that "maybe it is true, maybe not".

Second, hey I'd like to see it from a dyno, too, but I found the drop-off so noticeable on my D (ergo without Track Mode) that it is hard to square with what was described (you've seen the same report, I see your posts there). It sounded quite muted compared to the change I've seen. Besides the subjective noticing of less acceleration, as it dropped to around 20% SOC I lost close to 5mph from the peak on straight way and that was with driving a lot better maintaining more speed in the corner leading up as I become comfortable with the track.

3P drivers using Track Mode on a track all seem to want to keep their car at high SOC due to power loss.
Because it probably still matters some due to raw underlying limits of how much you current can pull out of the battery without frying it? Plus they are expecting that it matters, because it does the rest of the time and in every other variant?

Technically, what @dave999z is suggesting is an increased discharge amperage at lower battery levels to compensate for lower battery voltage.

Clearly all the cars lose power as battery level decreases but you’re suggesting they’ve mitigated that somewhat with 3P cars in Track Mode. I think I’d need to see dyno runs or 1/4mi times compared at different SOC to be convinced this is the happening.

Technically, what @dave999z is suggesting is an increased discharge amperage at lower battery levels to compensate for lower battery voltage.

Clearly all the cars lose power as battery level decreases but you’re suggesting they’ve mitigated that somewhat with 3P cars in Track Mode. I think I’d need to see dyno runs or 1/4mi times compared at different SOC to be convinced this is the happening.
"Technically" I'm suggesting what might be happening is exactly the same thing as @dave999z proposing. How else do you think it could happen? Power = Amp x Volt. If your Volt is lower because the SOC drops, and that is basically how SOC is measured, by comparing V to a designated standardized scale for the battery pack, then there's only one way to get the same Power out.

Wouldn't it be great if someone actually posted some hard data in this forum? Especially P3D data....

There is actually a fair amount of data posted, VBOX, Dragy, and dyno, but unfortunately not stickied/collated for easy reference.

An example:
M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

I posted mine from a P3D in this thread and it is posted elsewhere too. Beware the bad VBOX data at the beginning of the thread.

My run isn’t the best but maybe if I had emptied the car I could have shaved off a tenth, or whatever. Does not matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: SammichLover
Wouldn't it be great if someone actually posted some hard data in this forum? Especially P3D data....
Should I forward my address so you can have a P, equipped with a vbox and draggy, dropped off in my driveway? :) It takes people time to get out and do at least semi-controlled tests in a good, safe environment.

P.S. Peak speed on track straight aways compared over a range of SOC is semi-reasonable data to work from. Can have issues with a number of confounding variables, such as driver execution, wind/weather, tires, etc but there's some semblance of confidence to be found in them. Both in how SOC impacts and also how this patch impacts. Certainly in practical terms, even if not exactly where HP increases are happening.

There is actually a fair amount of data posted, VBOX, Dragy, and dyno, but unfortunately not stickied/collated for easy reference.

An example:
M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

I posted mine from a P3D in this thread and it is posted elsewhere too. Beware the bad VBOX data at the beginning of the thread.

My run isn’t the best but maybe if I had emptied the car I could have shaved off a tenth, or whatever. Does not matter.
AFTER the performance update.

Pre-Update v Post-Update
Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 9.29.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-27 at 9.31.53 AM.png

I only had a chance to do a quick set of runs from a spot near my office parking lot before/after the update, but here's the results.

Edit: 86% SOC

Last edited: