Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% increase in power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gotta tell you I think it’s already there. I received the 2019.5.15 update last week which updated the range on my LR RWD. Been doing seat of my pants testing of acceleration and it is definitely faster, particularly at speeds between 30 and 60. Again, not a scientific test, just feel. No doubt it pulls harder.

Would not get your hopes up for that number on a stock Performance vehicle. If they increase torque all the way up it will be awesome. But they're just increasing power. And unless they are hiding something the specs on the website are presumably correct (3.2 for the Performance not including rollout - it used to be 3.3 not including rollout).

Remember the peak HP increase only makes a difference above about 45mph (assuming no torque increase). 45-60mph takes 1.2 seconds or so right now. Maybe expect that to be dropped to 1.1 seconds at best. Nothing changes from 0-45mph since there's no change there (peak HP makes no difference there since it's not at peak HP currently in that range of speeds).

However, I suppose we can hope for peak torque increase and over-delivery by Tesla in the future. I suspect they're holding back just a little bit more torque to help ensure competitiveness with Porsche/BMW in the next year or so. If necessary and reliability data suggests it is ok, maybe they'll bump by 5% more or something (in torque). Which will reduce the 0-45 time (currently about 2.5 seconds including rollout) by an additional 0.15 seconds or so. (So maybe 0-60 including rollout would be 2.3+1.1 = 3.4 rather than the current 3.6+.) They have not suggested this will happen in the upcoming update though, or ever.
I agree this is the most likely thing, that it only marginally decreases 0-60 times because of the reason you lay out. The other part is that they want to continue to list the D as having a 4.5s 0-60 to differentiate from, and up-sell to, the P.

• Disagree
Reactions: OCR1
Right, but if they lowered the 0-60 of the LR RWD but not the AWD, makes it harder to upsell to the AWD.
Meh. There's differentiation there that's separate from the 0-60 and it is smaller $ step, only $4K for RWD to D compared to $11K from D to P. Plus they will want to create separation from the lower pack sizes in RWD. You can see they now step by 0.1s between the SR Plus, the LeMR, and the LR.

Besides if it is the rear drive unit where the changes are then the RWD is going to see more % impact since it only uses that PM motor rather than using the induction as well.

Not sure if it was discussed already but did the update increase the 0-20? Better kick off the line for the P3D?

If we take the announcement literally, it only increased peak HP by 5%. This means:

no change to 0-20 mph
slightly quicker 0-60 mph
5% better passing 45mph on up. I say this because I think the torque/hp curves will be similar to now in that the peak HP will remain constant all the way to top speed but there are a number of ways to increase peak power by 5% without doing that.

Considerably better 1/4 mile times. The amateur drag racers are going to like this (and they didn't need to buy a new air intake, full flow exhaust/muffler or a new chip)!

• Informative
Reactions: Piney999 and rlb4
This is really annoying, all cars except AWD got some type of change, range or power
, do you guys think it will actually come to AWD version also?

Teslas public statements were pretty clear that all models of the 3 get the 5% bump.

Given how few people have the update that mentions it (and at least some appear to be early access builds)
I'd wait a bit before getting too excited.

Last edited:
This is really annoying, all cars except AWD got some type of change, range or power
, do you guys think it will actually come to AWD version also?

Well, Elon tweeted that all cars will get the power increase so take it for what its worth:

Screenshot 2019-03-17 11.10.58.png

Reactions: Stellavator
Let's remember that the blog post said "add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles". Also let's note that the MR 0-60 time decreased from 5.6 to 5.2s. That requires more than just a 5% peak power gain. Something has to be on the lower side to make a 5% average. I suspect the LR AWD got the short straw.

Reactions: zhu-
FWIW, the release notes for update 2019.8.2 mention the power increase. The release notes for 2019.5.15 did not.

Interestingly enough, 2019.8.2 also mentions some things that were already there previously, like sentry mode, dog mode, location folding mirrors.. and something else as well I think.

I just got it yesterday (it = 2019.8.2). Also interestingly enough (at least to me) is that I was not in early access program, but DID earn "priority updates" via the recently retired referral system. I have never gotten an update before this one in a manner which made me feel like I was getting something "early". I also decided to buy FSD for 2k recently to go with my already purchased with the vehicle enhanced autopilot. I have no idea if that combination of now being a FSD "owner" whatever that means, along with having "priority updates" (whatever THAT means), got me this update early.

I suspect its some combination of the two, but I did not have to accept any NDA or anything so...

Anyway, TL ; DR = 2019.8.2 specifically mentions the power increase in the release notes.

Reactions: is2scooby
FWIW, the release notes for update 2019.8.2 mention the power increase. The release notes for 2019.5.15 did not.

Interestingly enough, 2019.8.2 also mentions some things that were already there previously, like sentry mode, dog mode, location folding mirrors.. and something else as well I think.

I just got it yesterday (it = 2019.8.2). Also interestingly enough (at least to me) is that I was not in early access program, but DID earn "priority updates" via the recently retired referral system. I have never gotten an update before this one in a manner which made me feel like I was getting something "early". I also decided to buy FSD for 2k recently to go with my already purchased with the vehicle enhanced autopilot. I have no idea if that combination of now being a FSD "owner" whatever that means, along with having "priority updates" (whatever THAT means), got me this update early.

I suspect its some combination of the two, but I did not have to accept any NDA or anything so...

Anyway, TL ; DR = 2019.8.2 specifically mentions the power increase in the release notes.
Do you have awd?