Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4th annual ReFuel: Sun 7/1/12 @ Laguna Seca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ActiveEs charging:
pic7.jpg

Roadsters charging:
pic8.jpg

I notice in this video the six Model S' have quite a few cameras. Hope we get to see the footage.

[video=facebook;4170353867171]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4170353867171[/video]

Was told Tesla employees can "check out cars" for a day or weekend. Rav4 included.

I'm not going to post numbers yet - but in the time trial event, the Model S's smoked the Roadsters. Of the 25 cars in the time trial, the top three spots were won by Model S drivers. Think about this - the Model S is a full size sedan, okay probably they were Performance models(?), and they beat Tesla Roadsters, which are ostensibly race cars!

My car has been outdated by new technology!
http://www.electricracenews.com/201...ic.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

There were a few Model S's there that were really fast in the practice laps. They came up on you quickly.

Roadsters are way better street cars than track cars. The motors overheat after a couple/few laps, regen is too strong on the rear wheels, the brakes with stock pads fade after a few laps, and the center of gravity is too high. The Model Ss may not have the straight line acceleration at the bottom end that Roadsters have, but at track speeds they seemed to accelerate really well - maybe better than Roadsters at 40-80MPH or so, but maybe that's because Roadsters were power limited at the time (I don't recall exactly). With Model S being able to be set for low regen, braking control might be better as well.

It was very cool to see the Model Ss at the track - most of them were not production versions, btw.

Oh, and despite ramblings on FiskerBuzz, no Karmas showed up. There was a souped up Coda.

There's a comment that one of the Model S's did it in 1:40.2 if that is correct then it's ridiculously fast. Here is a list of the fastest lap times at Laguna Seca.

Laguna Seca lap records - FastestLaps.com

Model S Performance would be 23rd or 24th. I can't find any official lap times for the M5 at Laguna Seca

Last year, when he was a Tesla employee, he drove a Roadster during the REFUEL event, and drove a 1:50 lap time in a Tesla Roadster. This year, despite the Model S's beating the Roadster's this year, Joe's 1:50 record stands unbroken.

From the body of the article it sounds like it was over 1:50. And that Roadster's lap at 1:50 lap not showing up on the 'Fastest Laps' site makes me think there could be more cars up there.

Roadsters are way better street cars than track cars. The motors overheat after a couple/few laps, regen is too strong on the rear wheels, the brakes with stock pads fade after a few laps, and the center of gravity is too high. The Model Ss may not have the straight line acceleration at the bottom end that Roadsters have, but at track speeds they seemed to accelerate really well - maybe better than Roadsters at 40-80MPH or so, but maybe that's because Roadsters were power limited at the time (I don't recall exactly). With Model S being able to be set for low regen, braking control might be better as well.

Model S has serious brakes and tires.
Yes, it has been reported that Model S performance model out accelerates Roadster above 60MPH.
The performance Model S has the same 1/4 mile as the Roadster Sport, so the 0-60 advantage of the Roadster gets nullified by the 60-110 advantage of Model S.

Joe (now ex-Tesla) was at the track cheering on the Model Ses hoping that they would beat his Roadster record.

Something I found amusing:

I was riding in a LEAF (with performance tires and suspension mods) going around the track fairly briskly (passing CODAs and such), when a call came in for the driver. Without flinching he hit the phone button on the steering wheel and started a normal conversation with his relatives asking them if they wanted him to come into the pits early to pick them up. I was suprised it worked so well through his helmet. He started talking about the cars he was passing and the overly aggressive stability control in the LEAF. Bottom line was that the LEAF is so quiet and the bluetooth hands free works so well that you can carry on a normal conversation even when pushing you and the car to 11/10ths.

Having a cellphone in hand is definitely verboten in racing (no possible projectiles loose in the cockpit), so integrated hands-free opens up a world of opportunity for external conversation while "racing".