Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4000 mile 10 day road trip from Port Townsend to Phoenix and back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three days after picking up our new X in Seattle, my wife and I headed down along Hood Canal on 101, supercharged for the very first time in Centralia (our first Tesla) and managed to arrive in the 90 degree heat of Phoenix via a detour to Santa Barbara in four days.

There we hooked up with four friends and spent the next few days with six people in the X (we have the six seater) tooling around the desert. For the trip home there were four of us and a ton of luggage as we climbed the pass and down into San Diego, and then up the coast where we hit some of the heaviest rain (and winds) I’ve ever driven in. We didn’t see snow, but this trip put the X through about every kind of weather you could imagine—and here’s my verdict: this car is an order of magnitude more capable than any I’ve ever driven.

Where to even start. Watching the Siskous and the lush green hills of southern Oregon go by through that unbelievable windshield. Listening to concert-hall perfect Mozart or punchy bass riffs from an amazing variety of music sources. The stares and thumbs up and conversations (mostly from young people interestingly) about the electrification of automobiles, usually initiated by the simple opening of a FW door. The amazing comfort of EVERY seat in the house (yes, even the back seats which my wife adores.) The climate system which kept all six of us completely comfortable in 90deg heat, without a single stuffy moment. And the range! (We’ve had two Leafs.) 4000 miles, all temperatures, lots of mountain passes, lots of weight in the car, driving 1-6 miles over limit, and we averaged 345 wh/mile for the entire trip. VERY close to rated.

Are there squawks? A few. One FW sometimes doesn’t close all the way and you have to push the button once again, a sensor falsely sensing obstruction. The factory missed two clips in a piece of door trim that we fixed in Fremont. Autopilot still works best on relatively straight freeway. (But adaptive cruise control was on 80% of the time and is a game changer in terms of reducing stress on long drives.) Opening the FW to the halfway position lets water drain in on the rear seat (doesn’t do it when fully opened.) I found that the automatic wipers were inconsistent in heavy rain and tended to switch to manual just to be sure, passing trucks throwing up walls of water. (By the way, the X feels like it's on a rail in heavy rain with puddles and wind.) No squeaks or rattles (the frame is wonderfully stiff on rough roads.) No leaky seals to let in road noise. No misaligned panels. And we’re Sig 169. So those of you getting later version will probably experience even fewer problems.

We wanted the X for its spaciousness, higher line of sight, and coolness factor. Over the past four years of waiting I’ve had some pretty darn high expectations.

I’m happy and somewhat amazed to be able to say that this car exceeded all of them.

My advice to all of you still waiting—plan a trip for when it arrives! You’ll have a ball.

Dash.jpg

Great report. Thanks. Just a couple of questions. So the 3rd row seat passengers were comfortable for long distances even with no recline in the 6 seater? What size were the 3rd row passengers if you do not mind me asking?

Loved reading this. What a wonderful and refreshing post!

Three days after picking up our new X in Seattle, my wife and I headed down along Hood Canal on 101, supercharged for the very first time in Centralia (our first Tesla) and managed to arrive in the 90 degree heat of Phoenix via a detour to Santa Barbara in four days.

There we hooked up with four friends and spent the next few days with six people in the X (we have the six seater) tooling around the desert. For the trip home there were four of us and a ton of luggage as we climbed the pass and down into San Diego, and then up the coast where we hit some of the heaviest rain (and winds) I’ve ever driven in. We didn’t see snow, but this trip put the X through about every kind of weather you could imagine—and here’s my verdict: this car is an order of magnitude more capable than any I’ve ever driven.

Where to even start. Watching the Siskous and the lush green hills of southern Oregon go by through that unbelievable windshield. Listening to concert-hall perfect Mozart or punchy bass riffs from an amazing variety of music sources. The stares and thumbs up and conversations (mostly from young people interestingly) about the electrification of automobiles, usually initiated by the simple opening of a FW door. The amazing comfort of EVERY seat in the house (yes, even the back seats which my wife adores.) The climate system which kept all six of us completely comfortable in 90deg heat, without a single stuffy moment. And the range! (We’ve had two Leafs.) 4000 miles, all temperatures, lots of mountain passes, lots of weight in the car, driving 1-6 miles over limit, and we averaged 345 wh/mile for the entire trip. VERY close to rated.

Are there squawks? A few. One FW sometimes doesn’t close all the way and you have to push the button once again, a sensor falsely sensing obstruction. The factory missed two clips in a piece of door trim that we fixed in Fremont. Autopilot still works best on relatively straight freeway. (But adaptive cruise control was on 80% of the time and is a game changer in terms of reducing stress on long drives.) Opening the FW to the halfway position lets water drain in on the rear seat (doesn’t do it when fully opened.) I found that the automatic wipers were inconsistent in heavy rain and tended to switch to manual just to be sure, passing trucks throwing up walls of water. (By the way, the X feels like it's on a rail in heavy rain with puddles and wind.) No squeaks or rattles (the frame is wonderfully stiff on rough roads.) No leaky seals to let in road noise. No misaligned panels. And we’re Sig 169. So those of you getting later version will probably experience even fewer problems.

We wanted the X for its spaciousness, higher line of sight, and coolness factor. Over the past four years of waiting I’ve had some pretty darn high expectations.

I’m happy and somewhat amazed to be able to say that this car exceeded all of them.

My advice to all of you still waiting—plan a trip for when it arrives! You’ll have a ball.

View attachment 114248

Great report. Thanks. Just a couple of questions. So the 3rd row seat passengers were comfortable for long distances even with no recline in the 6 seater? What size were the 3rd row passengers if you do not mind me asking?

The third row passengers were there for an hour or two at a time (e.g. driving Phoenix to Scottsdale and back.) My wife is small (5ft) but the other two were average height women. All of them remarked on how they didn't feel claustrophobic (the air conditioner at 91deg worked really well.) I wouldn't consider these seats for a long distance trip for large adults (for one thing, it would be tough to find storage for luggage for 6 people), but for our purposes (friends going to the movies or a day trip) they are wonderful. As a matter of fact, my wife said that if she was feeling tired on a trip she'd like to go back there to sleep. Cozy and better view through the windshield than second row (we have 6 seater.)

The third row passengers were there for an hour or two at a time (e.g. driving Phoenix to Scottsdale and back.) My wife is small (5ft) but the other two were average height women. All of them remarked on how they didn't feel claustrophobic (the air conditioner at 91deg worked really well.) I wouldn't consider these seats for a long distance trip for large adults (for one thing, it would be tough to find storage for luggage for 6 people), but for our purposes (friends going to the movies or a day trip) they are wonderful. As a matter of fact, my wife said that if she was feeling tired on a trip she'd like to go back there to sleep. Cozy and better view through the windshield than second row (we have 6 seater.)

Thanks for answering my question PGeer. Always nice to hear from people using their X in real case scenarios.

Thanks for the report...some interesting details. Picking up my X next week in Seattle (absent any problems). First trip will be a short one to Orcas Island to inspect the installation of two Clipper Creek HCS-60's at condos. Then to Richland, Walla Walla, Pendleton and back. Plenty of SC stations. Will be attending the awarding of a Purple Heart to a wounded Vietnam Vet [100% disabled from a helicopter blade to the head in 1965 and never received the medal]. Thanks to all you vets!

Here's an addendum to the rain coming in. Today it had been raining really hard. When I opened the FW (all the way), it wasn't raining but there was a ton of water beaded on top of the door. When it opened, a solid stream came in, hitting the left rear seat. I've opened them while it was raining more lightly with no problem and several other times with smaller amount of beaded water with no problem. So there seems to be a specific water "load" that the door channels can't quite handle, mostly after the car has been sitting. I could see the need for some sort of baffle to combat this.

PGeer, thanks for the report. What kind of highway speeds were you traveling? The photo implies you weren't holding back, but your energy consumption suggests that you were.

I was driving the other direction in that rain and wind in my MS.. aggressive stuff!