Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row Seats Inoperable when 2nd Row seats are removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm working on a project to remove the 2nd row in my 6 seat config Model X. I removed the 2nd row seats only to find that the 3rd row would no longer operate. No actuator sound at all. Just dead. I checked all the connectors for the 3rd row and all were connected. I set the 2nd row chairs back into the vehicle and plugged them back in and VOILA... the 3rd row seats can be moved up or down again.

My goal is to keep the 2nd row chairs out and use only the 3rd row, so it is bad news that they don't operate without the 2nd row connected. I would appreciate any ideas on how to keep the 3rd row working without the 2nd row at all.

Thanks!
Red

I'm working on a project to remove the 2nd row in my 6 seat config Model X. I removed the 2nd row seats only to find that the 3rd row would no longer operate. No actuator sound at all. Just dead. I checked all the connectors for the 3rd row and all were connected. I set the 2nd row chairs back into the vehicle and plugged them back in and VOILA... the 3rd row seats can be moved up or down again.

My goal is to keep the 2nd row chairs out and use only the 3rd row, so it is bad news that they don't operate without the 2nd row connected. I would appreciate any ideas on how to keep the 3rd row working without the 2nd row at all.

Thanks!
Red

Keep in mind, as others have found, removing the seats will also prevent updates. The workaround is that you need to take the modules out of the seats and keep them connected. This will complete the connections, let the vehicle know that the seats are "there" even if they physically aren't, and should let things work again. And also, your X may keep telling you that the seats are unlatched (2nd row).

thanks for the reply mjptech. Any examples of how to remove the 2nd row seat modules? I've looked closely at the seats and this is major surgery and I don't even know what I'm looking for.

Sorry, I don't have any examples, but, I know there are a few threads on the issue:
Removing Middle Seat from 7-seat Configuration

And here's where the issue was mentioned (about the seat unlatch error) and what was done to resolve it (take the modules out from the seat):
DrTaras' Model X gets customized!
DrTaras' Model X gets customized!
However, I don't think there's any diagrams or guides on how they did that... But, they did take the modules out and put them under the floor carpet.

Here's the information for the people that did the mod for the guy in the above threads:
Second Row middle seat
Looks like they either installed a spoof module to complete some circuits to fake the seat presence, or, did something else... Apparently, it was $500 to do it back in 2016...

Hopefully these can help you on your quest?

I am looking to purchase the 2nd row seats from a salvaged model X. I need the 6 seat configuration captain chairs. Per mjptech’s advice I’m specifically looking for the left and right seat control modules. I’ve contacted a few salvage yards and this is looking like mission impossible. Does anyone have any advice on where I might find these?

I am looking to purchase the 2nd row seats from a salvaged model X. I need the 6 seat configuration captain chairs. Per mjptech’s advice I’m specifically looking for the left and right seat control modules. I’ve contacted a few salvage yards and this is looking like mission impossible. Does anyone have any advice on where I might find these?

Following. I am in dire need of removing my middle seat In my 2016 MX 7 seat config. Good luck.

I'm working on removing the second row as well... a little concerned I will lose the functionality of the third row of seats.

I watched your video @redrunner , thanks for mentioning even raising the headrest of the third row would require reinstalling the second row again to put them down.

I wish Tesla used seats more like minivans that can fold down and forward for entry or use and also be totally removable.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Red

Did anyone figure this out? Is it based on seat position? or is removing the second row going to just kill the third row access?