Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Pricing - Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with SigGuy. Please stop nickel and diming us Tesla, it is becoming a tad distasteful. As early adopters, we agree to be guinea pigs as the car and the company matures. That should count for something.

In earlier threads, the thought was that if you buy the service plan, Tesla will maintain a 3G connection to the car no matter what for telemetry, software updates, and maybe access for the mobile app. The data plan would be for the web browser, slacker, etc. If that's the case, then I likely won't get the data plan, and will hopefully use my phone as a hotspot for this functionality when I'm in the car. If you can't use the app via Tesla's connection, then I will be really torn. It would be nice to be able to preheat, etc., when parked away from home and using a phone as a hotspot won't work if your phone is in your pocket away from the car. For those of you on family plans it might be cheaper to add a hotspot and just leave it on all the time in the car.

Oh well. I guess I won't be using the built-in 3G service. On a separate note, is tethering via bluetooth possible? I know tethering via USB is but I'd rather not have to take my phone out of my pocket and plug it in every time I get in the car....

Nope. Not giving AT&T that much more per month. Wifi for me. Why do car makers make the SIM hidden?
Why do they care who provides service? I'd much prefer to shop for my own (possibly pre-paid) plan and
drop a SIM in. If they are going to accept WIFI tethering, they are already tacitly accepting internet service
outside their control.

I think Tesla's logic here is that they need the wireless connection to properly provide service. Software updates, remote access for logs, etc. If you give the customer access to the SIM card then they can't guarantee that they will have this access. They made a deal with ATT, and we as the customer can't interfere with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well. I guess I won't be using the built-in 3G service. On a separate note, is tethering via bluetooth possible? I know tethering via USB is but I'd rather not have to take my phone out of my pocket and plug it in every time I get in the car....

Tesla has publicly stated that the car will supporting tethering via Wi-Fi. Nothing about BT.

We shouldn't losing be losing our firmware updates as it should be included as a part of our service.

$30 is WAY too much for 3G. It sounds like Tesla needs to find a different provider.

I used 3G for Slacker, but I learned that the service is limited and not upgradable to "Prime". Pandora isn't available. I used 3G for internet radio, once or twice. I've never used the browser. The phone app never worked properly with my phone.

Without 3G you can still use the GPS to determine your location, I believe. It worked when our 3G was out of service due to an antenna malfunction.
You will lose Google traffic maps. I stopped using navigation because it sent me on too many wild goose chases.

Time to start ripping more DVDa's and BluRay audio discs and call it good.

Its not official, so this is only an unofficial rant. But I will say $30 is way too excessive. Just like $21 shipping for a simple adapter. This is not going to reflect well.

As for Lexus' (or other companies and their charges), the service can simply be declined. For the MS, it's harder to do so because of how it is required (at this point) for firmware updates, sending logs to Tesla, usage of the mobile app. The Volt comes with 3 yrs of OnStar to support the mobile app functions.

WiFi really needs to be enabled and soon.

I am actually finding this to be a little amusing. Are you seriously this upset about the $30 price for the 3G service? If you can afford the car, another $30 is really not a big deal. I'm more upset that there is only 3G than I am about the cost. It would be nice to have faster service but in the Seattle area, at least for me, the 3G service has been pretty good. No dropouts, just a few slow loading screens. I'm never against saving money but .....

I am actually finding this to be a little amusing. Are you seriously this upset about the $30 price for the 3G service? If you can afford the car, another $30 is really not a big deal. I'm more upset that there is only 3G than I am about the cost. It would be nice to have faster service but in the Seattle area, at least for me, the 3G service has been pretty good. No dropouts, just a few slow loading screens. I'm never against saving money but .....

A Signature Performance for $100k is a good value to me.
$30 for G3 is not.

$30 a month is about the same as what I pay for the electricity to run my car.

Quite simply, YES. Tesla advertised the Model S as nearly maintenance free .... then comes a required $600 annual service. Now, outdated cell technology at a premium price?

It's more about what we early adopters were sold vs. what we are now finding out .... So, if true, a major, major disappointment !

Hey, I spent a lot on a car, so I should feel good about getting ripped off left and right? Is that the logic? Oh well, I'll just go fuel my BBQ with $50 bills I guess then because why not?

I believe that Tesla/Musk would be smart to have this service remain on all vehicles for unlimited of time! Protential buyers would fine this additional cost plus the cost of the car, adding bigger battery pack, and service contract over the top. Don't drain the savings of our gasoline........ Easy does it Tesla!
Thanks
Starting to remove the Tesla Grin customer

Expecting unlimited free internet for life with your car seems very unreasonable to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if we'll also have to pay for Slacker. I'm a Rhapsody subscriber, and really don't want to have to pay for another service if I can help it.

You don't "have to" pay for anything. Slacker is a free trial--that's always been known. If you don't want it, don't pay for it once the trial runs out. I don't plan to; I use my iPod and FM and have no need of Slacker. It's a nice thing to play with during the trial, but that's all it is to me.

Last edited:
It's not the cost; it's the value. I think that's what most people would argue.

If the internet connection fee is $30/m, and this covers the cost of an out of date and slow browser, access to only Slacker and internet radio, and all this at blazing 3G speeds (I recorded just under 400 kbps the other day), then it's a ripoff.

I'm also a little miffed that Tesla hasn't enabled my hard drive storage that I paid for as well as enabled Wi-Fi.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Ok. I can understand the "value" argument. It just seems that the response is out of proportion to the problem. Usually when someone makes a big deal about something that is rather minor, it's not about the thing that sets them off, it's something else. So what is everyone really upset about? Has Tesla done something that makes this fee seem to be part of a pattern of "nickle and diming" us? Would everyone be happy if the fee were for 4G or LTE instead?

I was expecting it to be $20/month for 3G. $30/month for LTE would be fair. The big question to me is whether the app requires 3G. I figure anything else I'll only need when I'm in my car with my phone, and it can be tethered.

I think people's annoyance has more to do with disgruntlement with data plans (and particularly ATT) moreso than with Tesla. I switched to Verizon last year and have been much more satisfied - what I'm annoyed about with Tesla is being forced to go back to the dark side.