Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Pin charger stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My 3 pin charger seems to have stopped working, the car still charges with the wall charger but not with the 3 pin so suspect it's this that's at fault.
What's the best way to get service for this, I've checked on app, request service, does it come under "battery" or "upgrades and accessories"?
Would prefer a mobile tech rather then needing to go into a service centre to have the cable looked at and changed so not sure which option is the best.

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi All,

My 3 pin charger seems to have stopped working, the car still charges with the wall charger but not with the 3 pin so suspect it's this that's at fault.
What's the best way to get service for this, I've checked on app, request service, does it come under "battery" or "upgrades and accessories"?
Would prefer a mobile tech rather then needing to go into a service centre to have the cable looked at and changed so not sure which option is the best.

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers.

Take your pick in terms of category... it's just part of the triage process. A human ultimately looks at what information you have provided and will respond accordingly. (Before the usual moaners jump in with the tedious negative comments I speak with experience on this and have had positive discussions with mechanics at my nearest SC.)

Thanks for the input, logged on the app, was expecting an instantaneous response, but reading this forum seems to suggest could be a day or two for response! Might need to try calling them if haven't heard.

Does it not have flashing lights to tell you what the error is likely to be and help trouble shoot? I've not even got mine out the bag it came in, but my wall charger does that. I'd also check the fuse and try and different socket to rule those out.

Does it not have flashing lights to tell you what the error is likely to be and help trouble shoot? I've not even got mine out the bag it came in, but my wall charger does that. I'd also check the fuse and try and different socket to rule those out.
No lights at all, tried different sockets and same problem, good idea about the fuse, I'll take a look to see if it's accessible while waiting for tesla service.

Mine also stopped charging from the granny - the letter T on the charger was flashing, no idea why. I went to the supercharger - added what i needed and next day tried the granny again - it worked, and has done so ever since. Odd.
The very same here, albeit with a loaner last year.
IIRC the issue was with latching/detecting when plugged in.
Can't help with the solution, as it went back with the fault.

Just posted a new thread (sorry) about the very same issue - noticed the letter T flashing also, but didnt know this was a thing for registering a fault - will look into it now! Thankfully we have the other cable supplied with our other Tesla and that works fine, so maybe thinking these granny charging cables have a definate low shelf / user life before giving out??

Just posted a new thread (sorry) about the very same issue - noticed the letter T flashing also, but didnt know this was a thing for registering a fault - will look into it now! Thankfully we have the other cable supplied with our other Tesla and that works fine, so maybe thinking these granny charging cables have a definate low shelf / user life before giving out??

There's no reason to think the UMC has low life compared with other chargers ... some people have been using them regularly for years ... and I bought a "premium" home charge point (Zappi) and it has been replaced under warranty twice.

Not sure if this has any relevance, but the granny chargers supplied with Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV were prone to internal cable breakage at the main cable gland when used "dangling" from the wall socket. A strain relief cord was attached to prevent this, but it was mainly due to the gland being overtightened at manufacture. Haven't looked at the Tesla charger, so don't know if it may be a similar weakness?

Last edited: