Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Row Cup Holders from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How will 3 people sit in the back seat if the arm rest is down? Where will people put their drinks if there are 3 people in the back seat if the only cup holders are in a folding arm rest?
A center armrest that folds back is an old concept. My 1970 Mercedes SE coupe had one. Your are correct though, with the armrest down, you lose the middle seat. Generally speaking, if there are 3 people crammed back there, I am not sure if I want them to have drinks anyway.

How will 3 people sit in the back seat if the arm rest is down? Where will people put their drinks if there are 3 people in the back seat if the only cup holders are in a folding arm rest?

I think the option of having an arm rest when no one is sitting in the center seat is a reasonable compromise. When someone does sit in the middle, that person is the cup holder.

My last two BMW SUVs have been exactly like that. 99% of the time, the armrest/thing holder is down for my son to put bevs in it. When his cousins get cozy with us, they just have to all hold their drinks. There's enough friction back there at those times though that 50 cups would stay upright!

I had to pay extra to get that drop down cup holder thing. Otherwise, it's a 4 person car! The back seat is actually more awesome with the fixed console, but I thought it would be rude to make that 5th person ride the roof.

My 2 cars back X5 however, someone had the bright idea of putting in a cup holder that would be accessible when 3 were seated. My son was 2-9yo in that car. It was hard to reach and got stepped on A LOT. Way less beverage incidents when the bevs are closer to your hands.

The BWM German engineers aren't very good at cup holders either (for the most -- they do have a few successes), and they've been working on it for 90 years! I think I'll give Tesla a little bit of a break. I want them to be better before I buy the car though :)

I actually installed rear seat cup holders on the floor with carpet tape in the same positions as the proposed Tesla strapped cup holders will be. Rear seat passengers do not kick them in my experience despite the fact you think they would. The cup holders are between the seats and back behind the calves. It does work.

I actually installed rear seat cup holders on the floor with carpet tape in the same positions as the proposed Tesla strapped cup holders will be. Rear seat passengers do not kick them in my experience despite the fact you think they would. The cup holders are between the seats and back behind the calves. It does work.

Could you post a picture of your cup holders?

I think this is a good design as well. I don't typically allow food/drinks in my vehicle, so day to day functionality is less of a concern to me. This seems like a great option for road trips, which would be perfect for my needs.

We also like the design.. Perfect for holding a couple water bottles. I suppose it may be less ideal for children riding in the back who might be more likely to kick it.

I received the following email today from Tesla's online orders dept:

I heard today that the 2nd Row Cup Holders, a set of two, will be priced at $150.
Regards,
Hugh

This is all that I received from Hugh.

Hello Mr. Chanin,

I added you to the wait list for the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Row Cup Holders. I will contact you as soon as they are available.

Regards,
Hugh

Tesla_logo[1].png

http://shop.teslamotors.com

p 510.249.3718 | e [email protected]

Maybe he plans to open an off shore account with the proceeds of these sales. :eek:

Larry

I don't know why everyone finds the location of the cup holders silly... I find it perfectly fine and have actually been operating another made-in-usa 4-seat vehicle with manufacturer-installed cup holders at the exact same position for the rear seats with no issue since 2010 (although the design of the holder itself is plastic and probably more sturdy compared to leather but I find the leather to be more stylish)

In any case, the target end-user is clearly not children! (seriously, plastic = children, leather = no!)

I like this design and find it in line with the minimalist design throughout the car.

Also, a rear center console means the rear center passenger loses his/her backrest comfort cos it's quite a hard object against the spine when closed (in most cars).

I don't know why everyone finds the location of the cup holders silly... I find it perfectly fine and have actually been operating another made-in-usa 4-seat vehicle with manufacturer-installed cup holders at the exact same position for the rear seats with no issue since 2010 (although the design of the holder itself is plastic and probably more sturdy compared to leather but I find the leather to be more stylish)

In any case, the target end-user is clearly not children! (seriously, plastic = children, leather = no!)

I like this design and find it in line with the minimalist design throughout the c

Also, a rear center console means the rear center passenger loses his/her backrest comfort cos it's quite a hard object against the spine when closed (in most cars).

I was in the back seat of a Model S today and kept thinking how easily I would have kicked the cup unless they were in between the 2 front seats. But then if someone was sitting in the middle then they would have the same problem.Perhaps I'm missing something but having the cup on the floor still seems a poor solution. Hope I am wrong and look forward to the feedback once they are installed. Wouldn't be the first time:smile:

2nd Row Cup Holders Now Available - $150!!!

yikes!! riduclous price for a ridiculous concept. what a joke! they must be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.... (seriously Tesla, grow up.. this is very disappointing as a company to go around touting this, what a moronic concept this is, and price gauged to make it even worse)

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/2nd-row-cupholder

cupholder.png

yikes!! riduclous price for a ridiculous concept. what a joke! they must be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.... (seriously Tesla, grow up.. this is very disappointing as a company to go around touting this, what a moronic concept this is, and price gauged to make it even worse)

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/2nd-row-cupholder

Expensive plastic. It's because it's a 'service center' install, so you are paying for their time as well.

I'll pass. Even at $50, it's a waste of $$ much less $150!

Tesla--make your money elsewhere, rather than selling $5 cup holders for $150 to those who have already paid $100K for your car.

Can't wait to see what center console will cost--yikes!!

Last edited:
I think $150 is a reasonable price (though unclear about the concept and how it'll work) if the build quality is good and also because at a service center they'll be attaching this securely somehow (maybe via bolts).