Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd aux 12v battery for 2018 Tesla Model X due to audio upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Tesla Model X has been replace for 2nd time the aux 12volt battery and last one lasted less than 2 years. I did installed extra amplifier and tap it directly to the 12volt positive battery terminal since I get the vehicle. The Tesla service replace my first time battery for free but the second time replacement last week they refuse to pay. My Tesla still have factory warranty until this May of 2023. The reason is that I have additional power draw for my amplifier cause Tesla electronic not able to detect since I tapped directly to the battery terminal, cause it to prematurely wear the cycle of the aux battery. The Tesla service told me that you might be able get the amplifier power from the inside power outlet so the car can detect the extra power demand and the aux battery will not worn out prematurely. I have to pay $150 for this time battery replacement. How do I need to proof that this is the battery failure and not my extra power demands from my power amplifier for my subwoofer only.

My 2018 Tesla Model X has been replace for 2nd time the aux 12volt battery and last one lasted less than 2 years. I did installed extra amplifier and tap it directly to the 12volt positive battery terminal since I get the vehicle. The Tesla service replace my first time battery for free but the second time replacement last week they refuse to pay. My Tesla still have factory warranty until this May of 2023. The reason is that I have additional power draw for my amplifier cause Tesla electronic not able to detect since I tapped directly to the battery terminal, cause it to prematurely wear the cycle of the aux battery. The Tesla service told me that you might be able get the amplifier power from the inside power outlet so the car can detect the extra power demand and the aux battery will not worn out prematurely. I have to pay $150 for this time battery replacement. How do I need to proof that this is the battery failure and not my extra power demands from my power amplifier for my subwoofer only.
There probably is no way you will be successful with this endeavor, because they saw your aftermarket modification. I had a number of extra 12V accessories in my 2018, but they were connected to 12 volts through the brake controller connector connector under the dash. That line is always on, but is protected with a 20 amp fuse. I suspect that is not good enough for your amp. The Tesla is a poor platform for high current 12 volt accessories, as its 12V capacity is very limited My 12V battery was replaced twice in the four years I had that vehicle.

$150 is probably the cost of the part. If they are going to provide the labor to replace, I would suggest that is a pretty good deal. IMO, you should take it.

Is there a lithium battery that recommended for Model X P100DX? If I need to pay for the battery, I rather have better battery that will last longer than 2 year.

Bought my S 3rd party from the guy who started what is now Ohmu. Had his 1st generation battery in it. Worked great for another 5 years 200 k miles. Not sure if Sean is even still there, but if they have one for the X I'd feel safe trying it myself.

This is a big no-no, you should never tap off the 12v battery for any reason. This really messes with the BMS, recall also the Tesla battery is of much lower capacity then a standard car battery.
So do you know where to connect to for about 30A current for my subwoofer amp? I read some threat stated that it is the vampire drain from the amp causing this battery problem and not the charging issue for BMS. But no way to confirm this.

So do you know where to connect to for about 30A current for my subwoofer amp? I read some threat stated that it is the vampire drain from the amp causing this battery problem and not the charging issue for BMS. But no way to confirm this.

So that is something like 360 watts which exceeds the allowable draw from all the switched and un-switched points I am aware of. But I am sure others out there have figured this out. Unfortunately I cannot offer a solution.

Good luck!