Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

221 Rated Miles - 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YYXxHqU.jpg

I charged my 3-week old S 60D to 100% for the first time two days ago and got 221 rated miles!

Typically I set the charge limit to 95% and I get 209-210 rated miles.

I hope it stays that way!

I think at least one 60 owner needs to be a guinea pig and always charge to 100% and see if they have more/faster degradation than those only charging to 80-90%.
My charge limiter is and has been set to 100% since I got the car. I have no intentions of dropping it unless Tesla (not some random at a service center) comes out with some official notice stating that it will harm the refreshed 60 battery. So I'll be the guinea pig :)

Reactions: plankeye and Mickie
My charge limiter is and has been set to 100% since I got the car. I have no intentions of dropping it unless Tesla (not some random at a service center) comes out with some official notice stating that it will harm the refreshed 60 battery. So I'll be the guinea pig :)
But! Has Tesla released a notice stating it's ok to charge it to 100% daily?! If they haven't, I'm forced to assume the partial charge recommendation stands, giving more credence to the random punk at the SC :confused:

But! Has Tesla released a notice stating it's ok to charge it to 100% daily?! If they haven't, I'm forced to assume the partial charge recommendation stands, giving more credence to the random punk at the SC :confused:
Some on this forum have said their DS told them it's okay to charge to 100%. I doubt I can find that post but it la either in the charging thread or model s delivery thread I assume.

Also people have confirmed that the new 60 doesn't taper off when charging to 100% while supercharging. That is taken as evidence that the "100%" is not the batteries full charge. If that is true then charging a 60kw is really just driving around a model s 75kw with a battery limited to about 80% charge.

I've read all that, and believe me my gut tells me it's true as it makes too much sense. I guess I give in too much to shadows of doubts. Granted I barely need to charge and could get by on 110V at the moment, once my other cars sell that can change very quickly.

Some on this forum have said their DS told them it's okay to charge to 100%. I doubt I can find that post but it la either in the charging thread or model s delivery thread I assume.

Also people have confirmed that the new 60 doesn't taper off when charging to 100% while supercharging. That is taken as evidence that the "100%" is not the batteries full charge. If that is true then charging a 60kw is really just driving around a model s 75kw with a battery limited to about 80% charge.

Great! I was just about to ask about the charge tapering before reading your post. That's great to know, and great for the new 60 owners.

I think it also really has to do with your driving habits. If you need 221 miles for your daily travels, then go for it. If you don't, then no harm in charging to 80 or 90% or whatever Tesla "recommends".

For those of you with the software limited 60s, have you ever gotten the charging to 100% warning (paraphrased: "charging to 100% may damage the battery") that others have seen?

E.g--

Firmware 7.1

Post #3834

Just curious, thanks in advance!
I definitely get that in my software limited 70, though from time to time I set it to 93% in order to squeeze in one more commute based off the math that 94% of the 70 is 90% of the 75.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
For those of you with the software limited 60s, have you ever gotten the charging to 100% warning (paraphrased: "charging to 100% may damage the battery") that others have seen?

E.g--

Firmware 7.1

Post #3834

Just curious, thanks in advance!
Yes. I have gotten that message a few times. I ignore it and contribute that message to the fact that the warning was integrated into the system before software restricted batteries were an option. I charge to 100% whenever I can. My primary source of charging is 110v.

If it can be determined that Tesla is spreading the 60kwh capacity over all of the cells and not turning off specific banks of cells than I can't see how it would be detrimental at all to charge to 100% on a 60kwh car. I think that's what makes it such a great value over the 75. You can charge to 100% all the time and only end up with 10 - 15 less rated miles than a 90% 75kwh charge.

I doubt that Tesla are turning off any part of the 75KWh battery when it is in 60KWh mode. All they will do is limit the charge voltage to 3.9 volts per cell (max voltage of 4.2V, minimum assumed at 2.8V) to get the 20% capacity reduction. Leaving certain cells dormant would never work with longevity.