Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" wheel impact on range and ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I have already placed my order on 100D. I still have several more days to change my mind on options.

Now I am debating if I should get the 22" rim. It should look great but concern about range impact. Comparing to the standard 20" wheel, what % of range do you lost? I googled it and some said 10% to 15% penalty. It used to state on the tesla custom order site the amount of penalty when you choose the 22", but now this warning is gone. Not sure if Tesla has done something to improve it.

Any real life experience?

thanks in advance

I have a 90d with 22's and I can't break 200 miles by myself in Southern California(all freeway driving). Given a choice again I'd say 20 without hesitation but I drive a ton. If it was an around town car and range doesn't matter 22's looks very very nice.

They are noisier and the ride is much stiffer as well

All,

I have already placed my order on 100D. I still have several more days to change my mind on options.

Now I am debating if I should get the 22" rim. It should look great but concern about range impact. Comparing to the standard 20" wheel, what % of range do you lost? I googled it and some said 10% to 15% penalty. It used to state on the tesla custom order site the amount of penalty when you choose the 22", but now this warning is gone. Not sure if Tesla has done something to improve it.

Any real life experience? thanks in advance

Tesla has recently removed this range advisory from the Model X configuration website ... :cool:

Model X range.PNG

All,

Any real life experience?

thanks in advance
T-Sportline has lighter weight options in 22" which should have about a 5% range loss I think? They also have 20" wheels that look better and bigger. Powdercoating/Dipping the stock wheels black are a much cheaper alternative, and make the wheels look a lot bigger too.

T-Sportline has lighter weight options in 22" which should have about a 5% range loss I think? They also have 20" wheels that look better and bigger. Powdercoating/Dipping the stock wheels black are a much cheaper alternative, and make the wheels look a lot bigger too.
I was going to get the 20'' tst from t sport line but instead powdercoated the stock rims. They look great. No range loss whatsoever. I vote for 20''. I got a great guy here in LA too.

Reactions: dragonxt
Not sure if Tesla has done something to improve it.
It's not something Tesla can improve. It's physics. The 22" wheels just weight more. You'll see mileage hits like this on any vehicle.

I'm starting to really see my avg Wh/m drop now that the weather here in the PNW is sort of warming up. I averaged 412 with the 22's from my end of June delivery until I put some 20" TSW winter wheels on in November. Since then my avg Wh/m has dropped to 409 but that includes a colder and wetter than normal winter with lots of short trips.

I don't think Tesla was far off in the 10% - 15% estimates in range reduction with the 22" wheels at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doctt
I just swapped 20s to 22s with Goodyear summer rubber
Ride is amazing!
It handles light years better, surprisingly same level of comfort and extremely quiet (foamed inside)
So far, i see a penalty in range (350 -> 400) since i switched, but it's too early to assess properly
Winter tires in cold have way better rolling resistance than summer tires
Once it warms up a bit, i'll have a better understanding on the range impact
I need 50F or above to compare fairly