Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” ride fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have the 21” wheels and find the ride a bit harsh. I checked my tire pressure last night. Mine were at 44 cold. Spec is 42. I lowered all four to 38 psi and was really pleased with the results. A lot less thwacking over imperfections. I understand I might have a slight penalty on range but well worth it in my mind. Just FYI.

• Funny
Reactions: Darmie and moswissa
For those that have the 21” wheels and find the ride a bit harsh. I checked my tire pressure last night. Mine were at 44 cold. Spec is 42. I lowered all four to 38 psi and was really pleased with the results. A lot less thwacking over imperfections. I understand I might have a slight penalty on range but well worth it in my mind. Just FYI.

That’s interesting... I did notice the 21s to be a bit harsh on bumps, esp on the freeway, I almost fly off my seat. Potholes are scary as well. For me, I’m coming from a BMW with low pro tires so I don’t feel mind, my wife can’t tell the difference either. She’s in love

Recommended pressure is 42psi all around. I set mine to 41psi cold (it still gets down to like 40 degrees here so its cold still in general). It was at around 42-43 psi before.. even that reduction I think helped.

Im 45-47. I nearly hit a steel ladder on the freeway while on autosteer, had to fight it just to move and ended up clipped it on the driver side wheel. Luckily nothing but a scratch to my wheel but I bet if I would have hit it dead on I probably wound have either busted the tire or bent the rim.

i think 38 might be too close to the threshold for the TPMS warning. on extra cold days you will get a warning that is annoying on the screen and wont go away

That's not the best reason not to run low air pressure.

People say they like the larger wheels with the lower profile tires for better cornering dynamics and road-holding. But a 19 wheel and tire setup, properly inflated, will outperform an underinflated 21" wheel and low profile tire. In fact, running 38 PSI in those runs a very real risk of rim damage and greatly increased risk of flat tires. You will have more flats! Even the stated pressure of 42 PSI can be a bit low for performance driving (depending upon the tires you are running).

In other words, it's just plain stupid to run low pressure in low profile tires. If you don't like the ride, get some tires that suit your intended purpose and run them at the correct pressure for maximum performance/tire life/range. Tires for the 19" rims cost a lot less as well.