Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

204 miles charged and then stops. After charging is complete, battery reads total miles, but during charging, system stops going further than 204, als

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S stops accumulating miles on car and phone at 204 miles. Does anyone else experience this? It shows total miles after charging, about 258. Which is 80% of full capacity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 5
You need to be clear on the question.

If you set the charge at 204, of course it will stop at 204.

So, what is the question?
Yes, thank you for asking for clarification. When I charge my car and expect it to go up to 80%, which is about 260 miles, the reading on dash, and my phone as well, stops at 204. After completion of charge, and after putting car in drive, the number changes from 204 to about 258-260.

Upvote 0
I think OP is saying when charging, it stops at 204 but after unplugging it jumps to 258 (maybe?)

What is the charge limit set to on the car?
Yes, you are correct. The battery is set to 80%, about 260 miles, but the odometer, and my phone as well, stops at 204, but continues to charge. Because when charging is complete, and I put the car in drive, the odometer jumps to about 260.

Upvote 0
Yes, you are correct. The battery is set to 80%, about 260 miles, but the odometer, and my phone as well, stops at 204, but continues to charge. Because when charging is complete, and I put the car in drive, the odometer jumps to about 260.
It's possible that the calculation has drifted down to 204 at the 80%. The stopped charging because 80% reached.

After a while, the new calculation for 80% is no longer 204, and it was revised upward to 260.

That also could happen with cold 80% that gets fewer miles and when it warms up, more miles can be displayed. Same 80% with different miles numbers.

Upvote 0
It's possible that the calculation has drifted down to 204 at the 80%. The stopped charging because 80% reached.

After a while, the new calculation for 80% is no longer 204, and it was revised upward to 260.

That also could happen with cold 80% that gets fewer miles and when it warms up, more miles can be displayed. Same 80% with different miles numbers.
That seems like a bigger discrepancy than expected, and the cold isn’t a factor in Tampa Bay FL. If the car is still under warranty, the OP should have it serviced.

Upvote 0
That seems like a bigger discrepancy than expected, and the cold isn’t a factor in Tampa Bay FL. If the car is still under warranty, the OP should have it serviced.
Thanks for the feedback. Today with 203 miles showing on display and phone, 25 minutes left to 80%charge. Car is 8 years old, battery warranty expired in March. Car is still cream of crop where I live, I also cover it most days and nights. I did wake up to car doors unlocked this morning. That was a little strange.
And with 20 minutes left, still reading 203 miles. Stopped charging with 15 minutes to go. Stepped on brake ready to go, odometer popped up to 225.

Upvote 0