Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Looking at 2019 M3P, the power bar has reduced noticeably by 150km/hr. Motor limited.

The new M3P seems to have no drop off at 90mph. So new motor seems more capable at high speed.

Approx peak power (ie top end) from what I can gather on older M3P comparisons:

LG 100% and preheated = Panasonic 50% room temperature

LG 50% = Panasonic 10%

I’m still genuinely curious whether they were supposed to put it out for test drive or whether it was supposed to just go in the showroom I’m waiting to find out that it was originally supposed to just go in the showroom and I happen to get there before any of the staff were told he said it had just gotten there today. It had 9 miles on it when I drove it

From what I've seen the test drive cars are speed limited to ~85mph, doesn't look like you had that limitation.

Last week I got into a pretty bad accident in my 23' M3P. Insurance is chalking it up as a total loss and still waiting for the settlement. In the meantime, I placed my order, stealth grey with a white interior! I hope May-June is realistic because I will have to get a rental until delivery. I don't want to have to get a RWD if the date keeps getting pushed back. There are plenty of RWD models in inventory.
Curious as to what got damaged that made them total it. I was just in an accident last week and awaiting the final verdict. If totaled I will be ordering a new M3P myself.

I shared 2 videos from a test drive yesterday and shared my thoughts on the waiting room thread. Someone also did a pull on X apparently yesterday
This is very helpful thank you. Car seems great 0-80 but seemed sluggish 60-95. That is only one aspect of car enjoyment. Overall, was the car fun to drive? I like the look, the fact that it's a nimble car, and the price compared to a Plaid. But the more I see the more I'm leaning towards just going with another Plaid. Was hoping the gap between the two was closer.

This is very helpful thank you. Car seems great 0-80 but seemed sluggish 60-95. That is only one aspect of car enjoyment. Overall, was the car fun to drive? I like the look, the fact that it's a nimble car, and the price compared to a Plaid. But the more I see the more I'm leaning towards just going with another Plaid. Was hoping the gap between the two was closer.
I dunno, looking at it side by side with the old M3P, it seems to pull considerably harder in that 60-95 range

People need to stop expecting this car to compete with a car from the same manufacturer that costs 30k (almost 50%) more than it does. If you have the money and want the performance of the plaid, thats what people should buy.

It's less about the money and more about having a car that is lighter, smaller, and more toss-able. Also the Model 3 cars have a lot more aftermarket accessories available.

Reactions: Mash and mpgxsvcd
People need to stop expecting this car to compete with a car from the same manufacturer that costs 30k (almost 50%) more than it does. If you have the money and want the performance of the plaid, thats what people should buy.
It is really very important to understand how quick the Model S LR is at higher speeds. It can do a 7.59 second 60-130 mph. That is great for a full size sedan that isn’t $150k+.

The Model 3 will never do that without two permanent magnet motors and a much bigger battery.

If you are expecting the 60-130 mph time to drop from 11s to even low 8s you will be disappointed. It just simply couldn’t do that. Physics says so without an extra gear and more power.

If it drops it 1 second for 60-130 that will make a big difference. 10s would be great but anything in the 9s is going to make the 1/4 mile time strong because this thing pulls so hard in the mid range.

Here is a modded Model Y doing low 11s for 60-130 mph and a Model S LR. I have confirmed that this Model Y time is legit for a modded car and it still is nowhere near a Model S LR time.

I just want to set realistic expectations for everyone. The US car is so much quicker at all speeds than the previous car but it won’t match a Model S LR for top end acceleration.

IMG_5911.jpeg
IMG_5912.jpeg

Reactions: cptnslo
The beauty in the M3P is that as we have seen with the new version is that it's moving in the right direction and this will only be more exciting in years to come with future refreshes and re-designs because it's a smaller more nimble platform in a still practical sedan configuration. The Model S is just...BIG. And no amount of making it faster is going to take away from it being a bigger car.

Reactions: arkhos and Adam3

Yep. Maybe part of this is because some people are cross shopping used MSLRs with the new M3P.

But anyway, it’s gotta be faster than the plaid. It also needs to leave the garage at night while I’m asleep to participate in autonomous ridesharing to pay for itself. I also want the license plate to flip up to reveal hidden rocket thrusters for some extra oomph. 1.1 second 0-60 at least. And it should crab walk like the ev hummer to more easily escape long drive thru lines. Only then will the tax credit be well spent lol. Let’s play Tesla bingo. If the CEO has talked about any of the above, that’s your free space.

• Funny
Reactions: Sellout and cptnslo