Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 EV tax POS tax credit no tax liability required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXSD

Sep 23, 2018
SD
All over the internet articles & videos popping up looks like in 2024 not only will you be able to get the tax credit up front but also no longer need to have a $7,500 tax liability to claim credit!

It doesn’t matter if most EVs don’t even qualify for the tax credit.

It doesn’t matter if most EVs don’t even qualify for the tax credit.
All Tesla do tho, they have a scare tactic "Reductions likely after Dec 31." so at least will still qualify for the 3750 but I'm sure plenty will still qualify for the full 7,500. Big deal for people that exceed the income threshold, already zero out or don't have the 7500 liability.

All over the internet articles & videos popping up looks like in 2024 not only will you be able to get the tax credit up front but also no longer need to have a $7,500 tax liability to claim credit!

I can’t even imagine getting the credit up front then you realize you don’t qualify and having to cut a check for $7,500 back to the government.

Reactions: voxel and TespaceX
I can’t even imagine getting the credit up front then you realize you don’t qualify and having to cut a check for $7,500 back to the government.
I qualify for around $4K so I would owe $3500 in 2025....no thanks. I am waiting for someone who bought a poverty model that got the tax credit to sell next years. I am sure there will be several. Or of Tesla drops the price of the X next quarter I will order a new one.

If I’m reading the new rules correctly, it seems a few here are missing the point. Basically, starting next year, your tax liability no longer matters. The only thing that matters is the income limits. You’ll get the full credit off the purchase price (depending on make/model/msrp/etc) as long as your income is below the published threshold. The only reason you’d have to repay the credit at tax time is if you exceed that income limit.

If I’m reading the new rules correctly, it seems a few here are missing the point. Basically, starting next year, your tax liability no longer matters. The only thing that matters is the income limits. You’ll get the full credit off the purchase price (depending on make/model/msrp/etc) as long as your income is below the published threshold. The only reason you’d have to repay the credit at tax time is if you exceed that income limit.
Yes that's why this is a big deal!

Reactions: TessP100D
Lets hope!

So it wouldn't matter if the Government didn't take out enough withholdings? You would get the tax credit and you wouldn't owe the Government the difference? So if I made 50K a year and didn't pay enough in Federal Taxes it wouldn't matter?
Check out all the articles/videos and official guidance released couple days ago looks like everyone under the income threshold will qualify hopefully Tesla doesn't increase prices accordingly🤞

And the income limit is for the purchase year or the previous year, whichever is lower. So if your 2023 income qualified then you can buy in 2024 without worry.

So it wouldn't matter if the Government didn't take out enough withholdings? You would get the tax credit and you wouldn't owe the Government the difference? So if I made 50K a year and didn't pay enough in Federal Taxes it wouldn't matter?
In 2024, the credit amount can be transferred to the dealer and applied as additional down payment. Your taxes remain exactly the same even if your total taxable liability for the year was less than the credit received.

I think there's quite a bit of misinformation and misinterpretation this topic at present. I don't think any of the base 30D regulations have changed at all. Here's what I think is a decent video explaining this topic:

You are right that the regulations haven't changed.
I'm fairly confident that Bearded's claim of a conflict between IRS guidance and the law is based on an incorrect interpretation of section (g) versus (a).

The new rules just allow a transfer of the credit. You still need to be eligible with tax liability. This whole thing about POS is just a change of who is the one applying for it at purchase time. The buyer still needs to file it during normal tax time.

And the income limit is for the purchase year or the previous year, whichever is lower. So if your 2023 income qualified then you can buy in 2024 without worry.
For the purchase year. You are attesting by signing a form at the dealer saying that your estimated “purchase year” income is eligible under the same income thresholds. If you happen to not be eligible by the end of the purchase year, or your tax liability isn’t covered by the credit, you will owe the IRS the credit amount at tax time. And, maybe they could disqualify your for future EV credits for making a false claim at purchase time. I know they have been known to do so when someone makes a false claim for other tax credits such as the child care credit, education credit, etc.

If you’re on the border, I would suggest just waiting to file for the credit during tax time as traditionally done up to now.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
You still need to be eligible with tax liability
Where do you see that? That seems to be opposite of IRS guidance:
A4. The amount of the credit that the electing taxpayer elects to transfer to the eligible entity may exceed the electing taxpayer's regular tax liability for the taxable year in which the sale occurs, and the excess, if any, is not subject to recapture from the dealer or the buyer.​