Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 EV tax POS tax credit no tax liability required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but my 'advisor' at the local SC says that I have to make sure the "total with all the options" is less than $80K if I want to take advantage of the tax credit.

If true, that severely limits options! I was going to get the 7 seat, with Enhanced Auto Pilot, upgraded wheels, etc... and that puts me way past the $80K threshold.

I am fine with the base model, with the exception of EAP. Can I add the EAP after delivery to keep it below the $80K limit

To be honest, the 'advisor' seems like they don't know what they're talking about... therefore my question here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but my 'advisor' at the local SC says that I have to make sure the "total with all the options" is less than $80K if I want to take advantage of the tax credit.

If true, that severely limits options! I was going to get the 7 seat, with Enhanced Auto Pilot, upgraded wheels, etc... and that puts me way past the $80K threshold.

I am fine with the base model, with the exception of EAP. Can I add the EAP after delivery to keep it below the $80K limit

To be honest, the 'advisor' seems like they don't know what they're talking about... therefore my question here. Thanks!

Any software upgrades don’t count towards the $80k limit. You’re only limited to the base model but you can add on EAP if you wish.

Reactions: mongo
If I’m reading the new rules correctly, it seems a few here are missing the point. Basically, starting next year, your tax liability no longer matters. The only thing that matters is the income limits. You’ll get the full credit off the purchase price (depending on make/model/msrp/etc) as long as your income is below the published threshold. The only reason you’d have to repay the credit at tax time is if you exceed that income limit.
For me, it seems like the most important part of this, is the requirement that the model meets certain battery composition parameters. Try calling Tesla to see if their models will in fact, meet the chemical requirements of the battery in order to get the full or half reduction, and nothing! So, how is one to know what purchasing decision to make if they won't tell you important information?

For me, it seems like the most important part of this, is the requirement that the model meets certain battery composition parameters. Try calling Tesla to see if their models will in fact, meet the chemical requirements of the battery in order to get the full or half reduction, and nothing! So, how is one to know what purchasing decision to make if they won't tell you important information?
Tesla can't know until Treasury releases their rules on the subject.

All Tesla do tho, they have a scare tactic "Reductions likely after Dec 31." so at least will still qualify for the 3750 but I'm sure plenty will still qualify for the full 7,500. Big deal for people that exceed the income threshold, already zero out or don't have the 7500 liability.
How low do you think the new 2024 MX is going to drop come January 1 ?

How low do you think the new 2024 MX is going to drop come January 1 ?
If history at Tesla repeats itself—as it has over and over in the past—any price reduction will be nearly equal to the amount of any reduction in tax credits.

That might actually be better since you can then add an option for either interior color choice or 7 seats and still stay under the $80K limit. Maybe worth it to delay getting an X (or Y) until 2024.

And, I think Tesla needs to do something about the X. It really needs a rehab. The newly introduced Lucid Gravity looks to be a lot more luxury and range for a similar price.

Reactions: Msicario
If history at Tesla repeats itself—as it has over and over in the past—any price reduction will be nearly equal to the amount of any reduction in tax credits.

That might actually be better since you can then add an option for either interior color choice or 7 seats and still stay under the $80K limit. Maybe worth it to delay getting an X (or Y) until 2024.

And, I think Tesla needs to do something about the X. It really needs a rehab. The newly introduced Lucid Gravity looks to be a lot more luxury and range for a similar price.
Thanks for the information; One more question; So the new 2024 X has to be under $80K, with tax & any extras included?

Thanks for the information; One more question; So the new 2024 X has to be under $80K, with tax & any extras included?
The $80K limit imposed by the IRS change won’t change, just the amount of credit based on the % sourcing and assembly requirements going up.

I can’t guarantee Tesla will lower prices accordingly, but just saying Tesla has done so in the past. They do like to make surprises in either direction, though.

Reactions: Msicario
I have 2 questions if anyone has clarity.

Why does Tesla advertise the tax credit will be reduced in 2024?

Does anyone know if the commercial EV credit will be point of sale in 2024?
The mineral abd component rewuures increase by 10% each in 2024
The excluded entity clause for components activates in 2024
Treasury has not released guidance on what that will mean. Worst case, China sourced components could make a vehicle ineligible for any credit.

Commercial credit haa no point of sale provision. However, that is less of an issue as companies pay taxes quarterly and can adjust to the deduction faster.