Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(2023) Tesla Model Y - Transferring from Australia to UK/Ireland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m guessing it’s not cheap to ship your car overseas, so consider selling yours at home and buying one in the UK. In addition to shipping costs, the UK might have different requirements that will cost you money to address. Do your homework.

I’m guessing it’s not cheap to ship your car overseas, so consider selling yours at home and buying one in the UK. In addition to shipping costs, the UK might have different requirements that will cost you money to address. Do your homework.
Thank you. Unfortunately with selling it at home which I’ve looked into, due to the way the finance. Selling it at home will cost me more than it is to ship to UK it’s is fairly significant. the plan was to sell locally originally.

I’ve reached out to Tesla to verify if the car will face any issues, awaiting response. This will verify if I will face further issues complying with UK standards. If the answer is that it’s an exact or similar build then I would assume that a software update is required only. But again I will need to get Tesla to confirm

You most likely will not be able to get any service, even warranty service. Also you most likely won't be able to get any updates, even via wifi. And there may mods you have to make to get it street legal in the UK (lighting changes, etc.). Look into that because it's gonna add to the overall cost of moving it.

You most likely will not be able to get any service, even warranty service. Also you most likely won't be able to get any updates, even via wifi. And there may mods you have to make to get it street legal in the UK (lighting changes, etc.). Look into that because it's gonna add to the overall cost of moving it.
Cheers I will do and check it out. I might reach out to a service center over there.

I would assume that a software update is required only. But again I will need to get Tesla to confirm

Even if it is a "software update only" Tesla wont do it for you, nor will they service the car in any way shape or form if it is outside of the country it was sold to. You will be on your own for anything, including things like trying to find some third party to load maps for you (since you wont be getting the region changed), cellular connectivity, etc.

Reactions: DanDi58
I did it the opposite way (UK-Aus) and with Honda Civic Diesel. Overall it was very worthwhile exercise and as easy as it can get, apart from quarantine, when they checked the car three times just to charge me for washing. Repairs are not a problem, but with Tesla it can be very different.

After reading some other threads, it appears that you may be able to get service but no warranty service. So anything thing that breaks, even during the warranty period, you'd have to pay for. Also, I think someone said if you change the SIM card for the cell phone modem you can get local maps, but you will NOT be able to use navigation. You can search and see stuff, but just won't be able to get turn-by-turn directions.