Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are making a good point. It shows that Tesla are still way too US-centric in their thinking.
Yes i agree, it's the same with the Matrix headlamps.

I was told they did not implement that feature because it was not legal to activate in the US, due to some laws.

The Matrix headlamps have been available on European cars since, atleast 2015, my previous diesel car had these as an option and the ability to turn on and off individual LED's were there.

So no real good reason not to enable it on Euro cars. Might even have done a better job of convincing the US government that they should allow it, as it was working fine in the euro cars.

They won't because BMW don't make misleading statements about their ADAS systems that lead to their drivers doing stupid things like Tesla drivers do.
Even if they do, i bet BMW will only enable it for the US if it is only the US laws that demand it.

From what my boss says, his car is fully capable of keeping the desired speed on the motorway by doing lane changes to overtake slower vehicles and this function is enabled in some countries.

Here it is allowed to do the lane change itself, but he has to put the indicator on himself to get the car to change lane. So BMW has functions that are enabled or disabled, depending on individual countries laws, Tesla could totally do the same.

Reactions: MrBadger
I'd say that the chance of Tesla retrospectively applying for approval for the older existing models is slim unfortunately.
I am afraid you are right.

Not least because not all of the non-highland cars have the Matrix headlamps.

If they were clever they made this a paid upgrade for anyone that has the hardware....But if they do, it's probably gonna be silly expensive though...

Here it is allowed to do the lane change itself, but he has to put the indicator on himself to get the car to change lane. So BMW has functions that are enabled or disabled, depending on individual countries laws, Tesla could totally do the same.
They already do this for other features; see the recent update where there was a change which automatically turned the headlights on when the wipers were activated (as is required by law in some US states, and probably countries). But this change was never implemented for UK cars. Other countries also have their rear tail lights on at the same time as the DRLs (which I much prefer), but not in the UK. What annoys me about this kind of thing is that there is no choice given to the driver/owner as to whether they want their car to behave like this - clearly it is not illegal to have lights on when the wipers are on, so why not have a selection in the car settings to let the driver decide if they want this or not.

Having had a couple of BMWs in the past, both of which I have connected to via diagnostic software to do coding of features - such as the tail light change I mention above - I know that all of these little differences are already built into the car as standard and then a country-specific version of the settings are applied during the build.

Region specific settings have been present in cars for tens of years, some were hardware tweaks using different wiring etc, but most of that has changed now in favour of software configurable elements. I remember way back in the late 90s my first car an Alfa Romeo had a factory alarm system which behaved differently (tones, siren volume, light flashes etc) depending on which country or region it was configured for; and to change it was a process along the lines of holding down the alarm button while manually unlocking the car two or three times and then each subsequent press of the alarm fob button would cycle through the settings.

That video is both very interesting to see the objects and how the car sees them, but at the same time a hilarious set of errors. At 1:30 the car just stops as it approaches some joggers running on the pavement - if you look at one of the rear facing cameras you can see the white vehicle behind almost ends up wearing the Tesla. Even worse possibly is at 2:30 it pulls out of a junction to join trafic and then just stops again for no obvious reason. 😄

I'm pretty sure they have sped it up so that it doesn't look so ridiculously hesitant and nervous - but on Vimeo you can slow it down to 0.5x and it looks awful.

Surely the ID.3 doesn't even let you use "travel assist" except on prescribed roads though, no? Tesla let you use AP anywhere, even on roads & in situations it patently can't deal with.
Just catching up with the thread, so apologies for the late reply!

It does let you use it anywhere, just like the Tesla, if it sees enough markings it allows you to enable it, and anecdotally from my own experience lets you enable AP in more situations than Tesla.. in fact once switched on, if it does disengage silently when the markings disappear, it is just paused, the moment the markings return, it will re-engage automatically..

As I say, you'd have to try it to believe it.. works amazingly on motorways, really reliable, but as with Tesla, it's glitchy on smaller roads, and unlike Tesla it just gives up with zero warning.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
They already do this for other features; see the recent update where there was a change which automatically turned the headlights on when the wipers were activated (as is required by law in some US states, and probably countries). But this change was never implemented for UK cars. Other countries also have their rear tail lights on at the same time as the DRLs (which I much prefer), but not in the UK. What annoys me about this kind of thing is that there is no choice given to the driver/owner as to whether they want their car to behave like this - clearly it is not illegal to have lights on when the wipers are on, so why not have a selection in the car settings to let the driver decide if they want this or not.

Yeah that's another really strange decision.

In the past i owned a 2005 GM vehicle that had a light and rain sensor, it would turn on the headlamps automatically if the wipers auto-wiped more than x times in y seconds, even if it was set to DRL.

In 2023 Tesla implements this feature, but does not enable it here, even though this feature as said was on a rather basic 2005 GM vehicle.

Sometimes it feels Tesla is 20 years behind even on silly small easy features like this, that cars, a lot older and cheaper had as standard decades before.

Having had a couple of BMWs in the past, both of which I have connected to via diagnostic software to do coding of features - such as the tail light change I mention above - I know that all of these little differences are already built into the car as standard and then a country-specific version of the settings are applied during the build.

Yeah, the GM i owned also had an option to variant code a lot of functions, so that the car could be configured to every country and region after the fact.

Would be VERY easy for Tesla to make the "Do you want rear lights on with DRL" an option in countries where it is allowed to be on, but its not mandatory.

It really annoys me that there is a changelog on the internet that has all new features, but when i do the update, its mostly updates to zombie games and other TOTALLY irrelevant stuff we get, the "good" stuff is never enabled here for some reason.

Reactions: ajmorr.is
So I finally had the 2023.44.30.8 on Friday, which updated the factory 2023.38.200.1 it came with and I'm pleased to say that the 'attentiveness' log is a bit better on first AP engagement.

2023.38.200.1 - just a small glance at the speed or mirror in the first 5 - 10 seconds and it'd nag about attention, so much so I use a privacy cover on the camera to make it tolerable. It also would constantly nag if I worse a matt black long coat that obscured by arms/body a bit.
2023.44.30.8 - I can glance at the speed, mirrors with no issues in the first 5-10 seconds, It still nagged once if I glanced down to read the little message that pops up when you first engage AP, but otherwise good and works fine with the same coat.

Both seem to work fine with the camera privacy shade on..

Would be VERY easy for Tesla to make the "Do you want rear lights on with DRL" an option in countries where it is allowed to be on, but its not mandatory.
I know, and you are right about 'coding'.. another useful backdoor mechanism that is popular with enthusiasts..
The only thing we have are companies like enhauto, they did this youtube short that purports to use 'smart actions' to turn on rear lights to match front DRLs..

So I finally had the 2023.44.30.8 on Friday, which updated the factory 2023.38.200.1 it came with and I'm pleased to say that the 'attentiveness' log is a bit better on first AP engagement.

2023.38.200.1 - just a small glance at the speed or mirror in the first 5 - 10 seconds and it'd nag about attention, so much so I use a privacy cover on the camera to make it tolerable. It also would constantly nag if I worse a matt black long coat that obscured by arms/body a bit.
2023.44.30.8 - I can glance at the speed, mirrors with no issues in the first 5-10 seconds, It still nagged once if I glanced down to read the little message that pops up when you first engage AP, but otherwise good and works fine with the same coat.

Both seem to work fine with the camera privacy shade on..

I know, and you are right about 'coding'.. another useful backdoor mechanism that is popular with enthusiasts..
The only thing we have are companies like enhauto, they did this youtube short that purports to use 'smart actions' to turn on rear lights to match front DRLs..

Didn't know that there were even such a device.

But yeah, the fact that someone is selling these devices, shows there is a demand for this, so why Tesla does not just put this option as a "switch" on the Tesla is beyond me.

If there were countries where the rear had to be on with the DRL, they could just disable that "switch" on cars sold in that/those countries.

I have to admit i have not been driving with the .8 software, i only update software in my own driveway, both because the car can easily connect to wifi, but also because i dont want to be 100s of miles from home and then i do an update that screws something up potentially.

So my last trip was with .7 and that was annoying, i wont be doing any longer trips until sunday, so i will only have the option to test out if .8 is better at that time.

@Zilla91 @ACarneiro
Just to revisit the topic of cold, this was the high temperature at 3:45 this afternoon. I worked overnight so it was actually colder when I went out to my car at 0700. The second pic is of some sun dogs - reflections on either side of the sun caused by the water spontaneously forming ice crystals in the air.

I preheat my car but since the steering wheel is steel it takes a long time to heat up. I also use FSD when I can but when it gets below about -15º C salt doesn't work so you have to be careful for ice on the road. You can also get 'black ice,' caused by the vapor from automobile exhaust freezing on the road to form nearly invisible patches of ice. So yes, I wear gloves because as 'dangerous' as they are, numb hands are more dangerous.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday update and more importantly enjoyed their holiday - Cheers!

IMG_3749.jpeg
IMG_3750.jpeg

It was so cold here (I know not remotely cold compared to the US) the windows all froze shut.. which I didn't realize until I tried to close the door when getting in. Preheating appears to not affect it. Alas I was unable to get the drivers door closed from the inside (I could close it from the outside with the 'give it welly' method) and had to abandon my journey.

What do people in colder climates do?

It was so cold here (I know not remotely cold compared to the US) the windows all froze shut.. which I didn't realize until I tried to close the door when getting in. Preheating appears to not affect it. Alas I was unable to get the drivers door closed from the inside (I could close it from the outside with the 'give it welly' method) and had to abandon my journey.

If a window does not drop a bit when opening the door in cold weather, try running a credit card along the bottom of the window between the glass and the window trim as shown in this YouTube. Works for me.

If you said you tried to force it open & shut repeatedly before realising it hadn't dropped down a bit, you should be grateful that it didn't shattered first!

Reactions: boombap

You can get that if there’s moisture on the seal. Try ‘rocking’ the window up and down to break the window free from the ice. As someone else mentioned, a credit card slid in between the seal and the window can work, too.

I had a car that was especially prone to this and I got a teflon coating that I put on the seal to prevent ice from sticking. You need to make sure it’s a ‘dry’ one that won’t smear on the window, though.

As an aside, it’s amazing how often the weather correlates here and in Europe. My wife has relatives in Scandinavia and our weather often tracks despite the distance.

I had a car that was especially prone to this and I got a teflon coating that I put on the seal to prevent ice from sticking. You need to make sure it’s a ‘dry’ one that won’t smear on the window, though.
What’s quite popular on other car forms in the UK is something called gummi pflege. I used it quite successfully on an Alfa Romeo with frameless doors.

Reactions: sleepydoc

Tl;dr. Defrost may unstick previously stuck doors triggering alarm and door open warnings.

A barmy -7 interior temperature this morning so allowed 45 mins for car to defrost.

A while in to defrost the alarm went off. I had to remotely unlock car to stop. I externally checked the car from house and noticed what looked to be reflection from screen being on (it was still dark outside) but otherwise looked ok.

Later, when I checked phone I noticed drivers door notification had trigger well after alarm went off.

SWMBO came in tonight saying she found what triggered the alarm. A few minutes into her drive she got an on screen message saying rear door was open. Had to stop and get out to close.

As it happened, she said she went out to car yesterday to put something inside but gave up as doors were frozen and window didn’t drop. This morning she found one of the doors ajar.

So as the car defrosted, it warmed enough to unstick the drivers door and trigger the alarm (and door open notification). And a few minutes driving was enough to unstick the rear door causing the door open warning whilst driving.

And. 45 minute combined defrost and 21c climate was not enough to unfreeze one of the doors even though recently treated with gummi Pfledge

• Informative
Reactions: M1tch