Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S/X door Ambient Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys does anyone have in 2022 Model S/X the ambient light in the door trim and dash trim? could you post pictures? for the one interested in the retrofit I have some good and bad news.
I found my car pretty dark in the night( 2021 Model S Refresh) and I start to lock around... of course plenty of aftermarket light but I really wanted the OEM.
I start to check online and I found on Ebay door trim with led light inside (see picture attached). Long story short I bought the light for all the four door and the dash trim...
what I learned, as you can see from the picture, is that there is a version with glossy black trim versus regular matt black color.
Long story short, retrofit done, complete, with nice glossy black trim, plugged in the original wiring already there and it does not work... It needs a car configuration BUUUUUUUUUU
Could someone post pics of the light effect in the night?
Anyone has a solution yet for car config change?

Attachments

• Trim Gloss Black.jpg
    Trim Gloss Black.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 540
  • Trim LED.jpg
    Trim LED.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 360
  • Trim.jpg
    Trim.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Trim with blck matt.jpg
    Trim with blck matt.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 361
Guys does anyone have in 2022 Model S/X the ambient light in the door trim and dash trim? could you post pictures? for the one interested in the retrofit I have some good and bad news.
I found my car pretty dark in the night( 2021 Model S Refresh) and I start to lock around... of course plenty of aftermarket light but I really wanted the OEM.
I start to check online and I found on Ebay door trim with led light inside (see picture attached). Long story short I bought the light for all the four door and the dash trim...
what I learned, as you can see from the picture, is that there is a version with glossy black trim versus regular matt black color.
Long story short, retrofit done, complete, with nice glossy black trim, plugged in the original wiring already there and it does not work... It needs a car configuration BUUUUUUUUUU
Could someone post pics of the light effect in the night?
Anyone has a solution yet for car config change?

when you click on the Ambient Light switch, did you measure the the plug voltage in the CF/Wood insert area ?

Very early production refresh cars (read: the infamous ‘holding lot’ cars) were the only ones I’ve seen with the gloss black trim. Everything that came after has that matte grayish trim. I like the gloss, flows better with the glass dashboard.

Some early cars have a translucent tube in the silver trim for the LED light to shine through as you’ve seen. However, as far as I know these have never been found to light up in any delivered car despite what the website renders used to show. All cars have the blue male connector in the door panel but all except super early production are missing the light engine in the trim itself for the plug to connect to.

You should measure voltage from that blue connector as mentioned above. I suspect there’s no power going to those connectors at the moment.

Last edited:
You were able to find the centre tunnel pieces with the light engine in them too?

So tesla coded the ambient button to control only the door pockets and floors only ? Wonder why ?

The ambient lighting in the silver trim was a planned feature which was dropped prior to first deliveries (like the screen tilt), probably a victim of the chip shortages at the time. I'm hopeful that with the first China deliveries happening there will some sort of aftermarket ambient light kit that comes out soon like the many available for 3/Y

Yeah, tapping into the door pocket light is a good idea. Post some pictures when it’s done! This is a retrofit I’ve wanted to do for a while but haven’t been able to piece together all the parts.

What did you search to find the light tubes or did you have to buy the whole trim piece with the wood to get it?

Last edited:
Just pulled my door trim off. Mine is "-C" and the ones with the lights are "-B" looking at images that have the lighting. Mine was built in Nov-2021. With the -C part, you can see the channel for the light tube, but there is no light tube installed. Also, the plastic silver part is chromed and does not let any light through. I assume on the "-B" parts the plastic has a thin flash coat that looks silver when off but allows light to emit when the LED is on.

Interestingly, the connector has 3 wires, presumably power and LIN, or is a Neolixel style that uses 3 wires (power/data). That hints that the light strip may be RGB. All other ambient LEDs only have two wires, with the power being provided from Body Controller Left or Right (so they can be dimmed). I also was unable to identify the wiring from the Feb-2021 schematics.

Depending on the design, it may be more difficult to get these to light beyond just providing power, although they might illuminate in some base state when power is applied. I think it really needs Tesla's software to make them work. I expect it will be very difficult to get Service to turn it on if they even have the option. Once Tesla deleted the concept, the software might not even be in the current builds.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne