Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 BMW X5M Comp or MX Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, so I am considering this X5M more and more. It is an incredible car. The seats are so comfortable, the fit and finish seems close to perfection. And it is a beast to drive. Am I crazy?!
Sorry, I'm not qualified to answer whether you're sane or not.

X5M vs X Plaid? Up to you in the end but if you've not test driven both, you might regret it. Best of luck with your decision.

Sorry, I'm not qualified to answer whether you're sane or not.

X5M vs X Plaid? Up to you in the end but if you've not test driven both, you might regret it. Best of luck with your decision.
I have driven both yes. And they are very different cars. I have had several Tesla models, and they all drive much the same. I think one of the biggest things swaying me towards the X5 is fit and finish. It is leaps and bounds ahead of the Tesla. I had an S Plaid and did get a taste of the new interior which is really nice - just not at the same level as some of these other "luxury" cars.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Wow, so I am considering this X5M more and more. It is an incredible car. The seats are so comfortable, the fit and finish seems close to perfection. And it is a beast to drive. Am I crazy?!

I have a P100D MS and an X6M. Both are great cars, but for different purposes.

But if I had to choose *one*, I'd choose the Model S, and I don't even have a Plaid.

I have an opportunity to buy a 2022 X5M Comp at pretty large chunk off MSRP. This seems like a good way to relieve at least some of the initial depreciation in this car market. The only con I see is the egregious gas mileage but we do not drive more than a few hundred miles a month. The car seems so nice, comfort, bowers and wilkins, aggressive, and at least I'm covered for the first 4 years. But it seems so odd to go back to ICE after having so many Teslas!

I have an opportunity to buy a 2022 X5M Comp at pretty large chunk off MSRP. This seems like a good way to relieve at least some of the initial depreciation in this car market. The only con I see is the egregious gas mileage but we do not drive more than a few hundred miles a month. The car seems so nice, comfort, bowers and wilkins, aggressive, and at least I'm covered for the first 4 years. But it seems so odd to go back to ICE after having so many Teslas!
How much discount? Last one we blew out was at invoice but also had a few demo miles on it.

Kind of like asking which is better...a Dog...or a Cat.

Springing that you can get over $10,000 off sticker on us can change the decision significantly. Telling us that it is in a color you do not like also muddies the decision.

If you had ordered a Tesla couple days ago, you could have gotten a 7,500 Tax credit.

We would need to know if you are making a financial decision, or a driving experience decision makes a tremendous difference.

The future is uncertain, but if governments keep pushing EVs over gassers, there will be almost no resale value on a gas hog in 5 years.

Both Tesla and BMW are aspirational vehicles. They both give amazing driving and ownership experiences. BMW is mostly living off past glory while Tesla is showing the way of future personal transportation.

Big issue is also that you can get the BMW today, while ordering a Tesla can take Months.

BMW XM5 is a hard riding, gas guzzling beast. Will give you lots of sound and engine noise. Whether that will grow old after some time is also a consideration. They are precision tuned to provide great performance, but keeping it performing at that high level requires much attention and expense. There is a reason they cover maintenance for free for the first years. The fear of expensive repairs is everpresent.

Maybe it wasn't 10%, I cannot remember exact numbers. It was a decent discount all things considered. But the color does not look good IMHO.

It’s not that bad of an exterior color tbh and it’s a nice build overall. I’m just shocked they’re practically wholesaling it..

1660704400503.png

It could also be that the car has been sitting on their lot for months and they need it gone. The 2023's are coming in soon and it will take an instant depreciation hit when they arrive. If they are discounting it $12,800 there is a reason. Better to lease it if they can give you a good rate. Gonna be hard to unload in a few years. I am on my 3rd Model X. Due to large tax credits, utility rebates, price hikes and the amazing Section 179 plus 100% depreciation allowances in the first year, they have all been essentially free to me. Others as well have found driving a Tesla to be a very low cost decision. Currently many Tesla owners can sell their current cars for more than they paid for them. Can upgrade to a newer model while totally recapturing their original costs.

It could also be that the car has been sitting on their lot for months and they need it gone. The 2023's are coming in soon and it will take an instant depreciation hit when they arrive. If they are discounting it $12,800 there is a reason. Better to lease it if they can give you a good rate. Gonna be hard to unload in a few years. I am on my 3rd Model X. Due to large tax credits, utility rebates, price hikes and the amazing Section 179 plus 100% depreciation allowances in the first year, they have all been essentially free to me. Others as well have found driving a Tesla to be a very low cost decision. Currently many Tesla owners can sell their current cars for more than they paid for them. Can upgrade to a newer model while totally recapturing their original costs.
Agree that Tesla cost of ownership is FAR less. This MX order is at current pricing - I don’t have a way to use Section 179 and I fear Tesla may lower prices a bit when things calm down. But this is pure speculation and all this considered it’s still far cheaper to own a Tesla. I’ve had 5 since 2018 and they have been very easy to sell each time.

They’ve had it a grand total of two months it looks like.