Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you zoom all the way in to the bar with the hazard light you can see an unlit indicator all the way on the left of the bar. That's definitely where the manual gear select is. Hope they have a plan for not constantly triggering it when you're going for your phone

I'm not so sure capacitive touch areas for the gear selection are the best approach especially that low on the console. I can easily see a scenario where someone stops short, their uncovered chai mocha latte (is this even a real drink?) in the cup holder lurches forward, a little liquid gets on the capacitive strip and triggers the reverse indicator causing the car to immediately switch into reverse.

I am sure there are safeguards built into this though.

Yeah there’s a glossy strip below the phone charger area, likely another touch display that can be different buttons based on context... or always PRND? I guess we’ll see.
Based on their UI experts that should end up something like this....
Display order software 2021.38.2 - PRND
Display order software 2021.40.1 - DRPN
Display order software 2021.50.2 - NDPR

Short video of refreshed Model S interior is now circulating. Link below to Teslarati, or you can find it on Twitter @icischris

Tesla Model S refresh quick interior look shows 8" 2nd-row screen, steering wheel buttons, 17" display enabled

Two big takeaways for me:
1. Round steering wheel looks very real. The lighting on the turn signal buttons looks great.
2. Note that the suspected PRND physical buttons around the Hazard indicator are NOT showing lit up in this video. I was honestly expecting to see some lighting similar to what's on the steering wheel for turn signals. Also don't see any PRND indicators on the MCU display.

Reactions: AMP85D and Filter
Short video of refreshed Model S interior is now circulating. Link below to Teslarati, or you can find it on Twitter @icischris

Tesla Model S refresh quick interior look shows 8" 2nd-row screen, steering wheel buttons, 17" display enabled

Two big takeaways for me:
1. Round steering wheel looks very real. The lighting on the turn signal buttons looks great.
2. Note that the suspected PRND physical buttons around the Hazard indicator are NOT showing lit up in this video. I was honestly expecting to see some lighting similar to what's on the steering wheel for turn signals. Also don't see any PRND indicators on the MCU display.

Great video - thanks for posting it!
I noticed that the person filming never stepped on the brake, and the car is in factory mode. My guess (pure speculation with nothing to back it up) is that the gears only will light when the brake is depressed and the car isn't in factory mode, etc.

Also noticed a small car icon on the left of the screen, wonder if that tab opens for additional autopilot display, gear "pre-selection," etc...

Happy to see more and more images!

I love when articles say that the 17" screen is 2" bigger than the 3/Y screen. Well yeah, but in reality it'll appear much larger as you won't have 1/3 of it taken up with driving data like the 3/Y do. So your usable real estate for maps and infotainment is MUCH bigger.

Wonder if they will allow a split screen like the current S/X do vertically, but do it horizontally? That would be pretty neat.

We can carry 4K HDR Dolby Vision 60FPS cameras in our pockets, yet we still suffer with vertical videos shot with potatoes.
Honestly at this point, I don't know why phone manufacturers still include the option for portrait video. Do the world a favor and drop that feature, as if you *EVER* intend to have your videos shown on anything but a phone, it's only seeing 1/3rd of the picture - especially for something like this, I want to see the whole view!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Looks much better in the real world to me than teslas website images.
Really liking that new interior, especially the center console, finally a place to rest my arm on during long drives unlike the current model.

Glad you like the center console, though I must admit I don't spend a whole lot of time looking at my outdated one on my one year old S. Also, I've never had a problem with the arm rest. Could be that I'm taller than you are. You might try jacking the seat up so your arm can lay on the arm rest, but here again, I spend most of my time with both hands on the wheel. Even on "long" drives, like 250 miles at a whack. To each their own.

Ive seen a few people above ask the question which I am also curious as well. Is there any indication there will be new ambient lighting? pretty disappointing, this is something thats so simple and cheap and makes such a impact on the interior. I will be very disappointed if Tesla didn't upgrade the interior lighting, which from what I see, they did not....

Reactions: elguapo
Ive seen a few people above ask the question which I am also curious as well. Is there any indication there will be new ambient lighting? pretty disappointing, this is something thats so simple and cheap and makes such a impact on the interior. I will be very disappointed if Tesla didn't upgrade the interior lighting, which from what I see, they did not....

Agree, hope they added some - would be a nice way to enhance the ambiance of the interior. Fingers crossed they did...