Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GLOVIS SONIC (72269t) is 30m longer than the standard RoRo Car carrier at 230m long and 32.6m wide.
She can carry 7,019 AEU which is pretty irrelevant since Teslas are larger and much heavier than a standard AEU.
Suffice to say, she's BIG but she can still fit through the old Panama Canal locks (Cheaper transit cost).

That's not to suggest she is definitely coming to the EU though. We shall have to wait for that news.....

• Informative
Reactions: Mark S
GLOVIS SONIC (72269t) is 30m longer than the standard RoRo Car carrier at 230m long and 32.6m wide.
She can carry 7,019 AEU which is pretty irrelevant since Teslas are larger and much heavier than a standard AEU.
Suffice to say, she's BIG but she can still fit through the old Panama Canal locks (Cheaper transit cost).

That's not to suggest she is definitely coming to the EU though. We shall have to wait for that news.....

Thanks Mr M

It's not a dumb question at all.
It has been looked at very carefully especially in light of last year's price increases by the Panama Canal. For Tesla it's not such a good option because it will actually take longer and speed is of the essence at the moment.
Another option that has been bubbling away is the building of another canal and this is the preferred option of many.
There are a number of alternative schemes, through Mexico, through Colombia, through Nicaragua and another through Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Some of them are at pipe dream stage however there is one that is certainly viable and appears ready to go.
It would be built across Nicaragua and Costa Rica using Chinese money and labour. In view of the financing you can imagine a few other countries are doing their damndest to quosh this project. In fact the biggest barriers to the project are political and ecological. Technically it is very viable and would be quick to construct too.
The fact that these options are being seriously examined gives an idea of how much Panama are milking from the canal and an indication that its huge fees can't go up any further. Panama has grown to depend on every cent of its $2 bn income from the canal and a reduction in traffic last year imposed by insufficient waterlevels in Gatun Lake resulted in the fees going up to maintain the level of revenue. It has of course to pay for the expansion of the canal which was not cheap and ironically it was the delays to that expansion getting underway originally that gave rise to the alternative canal projects being seriously examined.
Such is the expense of shipping through the canal it is a much better business for car manufacturers from the Far East to establish factories in Europe. Most of them have done so.
Tesla are following that example and so the days of following ships from Pier 80 are numbered in any case.

Last edited:
No deliveries to UAE until Aug/Sept according to local sales so i'd count Glovis Corona out now.
I'm sorry to hear that although as you know I didn't believe that the GLOVIS CORONA was being used.
There is a strong likelihood however that a batch of cars for Dubai will be amongst the early ships to leave Pier 80. The aim will be for them to be delivered before the end of September.

OK...
The STENA SUNRISE is an oil tanker. I mention it only because it is blocking Pier 80 at the moment.
The first Tesla ship of Q3 is GLOVIS SONIC and we don't yet know where it is destined.
What we do know is that a large number of EU spec cars have been in production and have been sighted on transporters heading for Pier 80.
The GLOVIS SUNRISE is a possible future Q3 ship.

@Mr Miserable presumably all the Glovis ships are potential Model 3 carriers rather than Model S/X one’s which end up at Tilburg?

It was Maersk that I followed 3-4 years ago (although nowhere near with your degree of accuracy/detail) and I wondered whether it’s still the case I should be looking out for those for my Model S?