Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY - TeslaCam Dashcam - USB no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, pretty much consistent with what we see across multiple threads. Front usb ports usually not working for data operations unless device is plugged in when computer is rebooted, device will operate normally even if reinserted until car deep sleeps when turned off long enough, which happens overnight always. Glovebox usb-a (for those of us who have them, works fine).
I have a 2020 MYP with front USB ports and a 2022 MYP with Glovebox USB, neither of them work after the car goes to sleep. I am running 2024.3.15.

Last edited:
I have a new to me 20 MY and am having this issue. I have run updates as they came out since Saturday but it has never let me use the Dashcam with any drive. I even used one from a friends Model S that is working and it wouldn't recognize it either. Reboots do not help but I can get power through the port. Just adding my voice to the rest and following.

I've got a 2021 Model Y Standard Range - like everyone else, the USB ports in my center console will charge my devices, but it will not recognize my USB drive (I have tried different USB drives to no avail).

However, the USB in my glove compartment works, so I have resorted to using a USB hub in the glove compartment, with a MicroSD card for dashcam/sentry, and a regular USB stick for my music.

I've got a 2021 Model Y Standard Range - like everyone else, the USB ports in my center console will charge my devices, but it will not recognize my USB drive (I have tried different USB drives to no avail).

However, the USB in my glove compartment works, so I have resorted to using a USB hub in the glove compartment, with a MicroSD card for dashcam/sentry, and a regular USB stick for my music.
Are you sure you don’t have a model year 2022 and your vehicle production date was around mid 11/2021 or 12/2021. That’s when Tesla started using center console usb-c modules in model y which support power only.

Are you sure you don’t have a model year 2022 and your vehicle production date was around mid 11/2021 or 12/2021. That’s when Tesla started using center console usb-c modules in model y which support power only.
I re-read my post, and realized I should have been clearer. I took delivery of a standard range Model Y in March 2021. It has one USB-C, and one USB-A port in the center console (underneath/behind the wireless charger). I've also got a USB-A port in the glove compartment.

For years, I used the USB-A in the glove compartment for dashcam/sentry, and the USB-A in the center console for music. A few months ago, and after a software update, the USB-A in the center console stopped detecting the USB flash drive that contained my music. The flash drive is opaque, and I could see a red light go on, indicating it was receiving power. I tried different flash drives, including the one that originally came with my Tesla, but none of those worked in the USB-A port in my center console. I reset the car, yet nothing would get the center console USB-A port to read my USB flash drive.

A week or so ago, I finally tried using an Anker USB hub with the USB-A port in my glove compartment. For me, this has fixed the issue, as the vehicle immediately recognized the flash drive w/ my music. Since then, I have not lost access to that flash drive, even after the car goes into a deep sleep state.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I re-read my post, and realized I should have been clearer. I took delivery of a standard range Model Y in March 2021. It has one USB-C, and one USB-A port in the center console (underneath/behind the wireless charger). I've also got a USB-A port in the glove compartment.

For years, I used the USB-A in the glove compartment for dashcam/sentry, and the USB-A in the center console for music. A few months ago, and after a software update, the USB-A in the center console stopped detecting the USB flash drive that contained my music. The flash drive is opaque, and I could see a red light go on, indicating it was receiving power. I tried different flash drives, including the one that originally came with my Tesla, but none of those worked in the USB-A port in my center console. I reset the car, yet nothing would get the center console USB-A port to read my USB flash drive.

A week or so ago, I finally tried using an Anker USB hub with the USB-A port in my glove compartment. For me, this has fixed the issue, as the vehicle immediately recognized the flash drive w/ my music. Since then, I have not lost access to that flash drive, even after the car goes into a deep sleep state.
Yup. You have same issue as us all after early 2024 updates. Glovebox usb-a works reliably. Center usb doesn’t work for data & only temporarily after computer reboot.

Basically in hw3 the computer has two usb ports I think. The usb port for center is connected to a hub which is what we plug in to & gives us multiple usb ports. A suspect A bug is causing the port which provides connectivity to be unreliable. Kinda surprised it is taking Tesla this long to fix issue.

Reactions: JLOC
Yup. You have same issue as us all after early 2024 updates. Glovebox usb-a works reliably. Center usb doesn’t work for data & only temporarily after computer reboot.

Basically in hw3 the computer has two usb ports I think. The usb port for center is connected to a hub which is what we plug in to & gives us multiple usb ports. A suspect A bug is causing the port which provides connectivity to be unreliable. Kinda surprised it is taking Tesla this long to fix issue.
Unlike you, I am not terribly surprised it has taken the company this long to fix the issue. Some time after I got the car, the album art on my music stopped displaying (again, after a software update).

While the absence of album art is trivial compared to losing access to the USB drive altogether, it took months for this issue to be resolved by a software update. Thus, I would not be surprised if it took months for Tesla to resolve this issue.

I received OTA updates for both 2020 MYP (center usb) and 2022 MYP (glovebox usb) yesterday. v11.1 ⁦(2024.3.25 5aaf7e6d2826)⁩ on both cars now. Problem is still continuing. The 2020 worked until the car went to sleep last night. Still not working on the 2022.

Reactions: Snow Drift
My 2020 M3 AWD LR is on v11.1 (2024.8.9 0cac3042b6cd) and has been having this problem for about two months. Just as for others in this thread, the only workaround for me has been to restart the display.

A Tesla mobile service tech visited early April, did no real diagnostics, and suggested I try a different USB cable. I have tried a new cable. I've also tried swapping out my Sandisk SSD, which had been working for a couple of years, for a SanDisk High Endurance microSDXC card ("for Garmin Dash Cams") with adapter. Neither change made any difference.

My 2020 M3 AWD LR is on v11.1 (2024.8.9 0cac3042b6cd) and has been having this problem for about two months. Just as for others in this thread, the only workaround for me has been to restart the display.

A Tesla mobile service tech visited early April, did no real diagnostics, and suggested I try a different USB cable. I have tried a new cable. I've also tried swapping out my Sandisk SSD, which had been working for a couple of years, for a SanDisk High Endurance microSDXC card ("for Garmin Dash Cams") with adapter. Neither change made any difference.
Same. Taken in to the SC twice and I’m still getting errors, though mostly when I’m not even using the car including a visualization error that showed up when the car was parked.

IMG_0166.jpeg

IMG_0148.jpeg

I have the same issue 2020 Model Y. Only have the center console ports. This same issue existed due to a software problem like 18 months ago. Seems like they screwed it up again.

Rebooting will resolve the issue until the next deep sleep. I don't know why they don't just put a simple retry on the usb device. What is likely happening is that coming out of a deep sleep, it tries to connect to the usb drive but it hasn't gotten power fast enough so it fails. Then it never tries again. That is why a reboot works because the usb drive stays powered on and when it tries to connect, it works.

I have the same issue 2020 Model Y. Only have the center console ports. This same issue existed due to a software problem like 18 months ago. Seems like they screwed it up again.

Rebooting will resolve the issue until the next deep sleep. I don't know why they don't just put a simple retry on the usb device. What is likely happening is that coming out of a deep sleep, it tries to connect to the usb drive but it hasn't gotten power fast enough so it fails. Then it never tries again. That is why a reboot works because the usb drive stays powered on and when it tries to connect, it works.
It’s so frustrating to wake up to a broken dashcam and a half-dozen active alerts each morning. :/

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Mobile service came out today. Since the update to 2024.3.25, the dashcams have been inconsistent.....at best. I have swapped multiple jump drives, including 1 Actual Tesla drive. As per the norm, this morning before the arrival of the service tech "Chris" I was able to get the drives working in both MYP's. However you could see in the drive the files had large gaps where nothing was getting recorded. I however never had the USB device malfunctions as @El joe.

He gave me 2 new Tesla drives to try and both would not recognize in either car so we were able to replicate some of the issue. The 3rd drive he gave me finally worked.

He offered to replace the glove boxes in both cars, but I felt that was a bit overkill at this point. We agreed to wait until the next Firmware update to see if the issue is fixed.....since the issue popped up after a firmware update.

So I will continue to monitor for you folks and let you know after the next update.

Reactions: El joe and BitJam
Mobile service came out today. Since the update to 2024.3.25, the dashcams have been inconsistent.....at best. I have swapped multiple jump drives, including 1 Actual Tesla drive. As per the norm, this morning before the arrival of the service tech "Chris" I was able to get the drives working in both MYP's. However you could see in the drive the files had large gaps where nothing was getting recorded. I however never had the USB device malfunctions as @El joe.

He gave me 2 new Tesla drives to try and both would not recognize in either car so we were able to replicate some of the issue. The 3rd drive he gave me finally worked.

He offered to replace the glove boxes in both cars, but I felt that was a bit overkill at this point. We agreed to wait until the next Firmware update to see if the issue is fixed.....since the issue popped up after a firmware update.

So I will continue to monitor for you folks and let you know after the next update.
Yeah, I just pinged them again as it’s getting worse and now sentry mode isn’t working at all. In fact, my dashcam won’t even record anymore when I honk or tap the icon, even if it appears to be working normally.

And, perhaps coincidentally, my predicted range has dropped 13 miles since this has all gone down. I have a hunch the errors and it checking the USB nonstop while it should be sleeping may be impacting predicted range.

• Informative
Reactions: aaron4126
I have this same issue too. It's so annoying! Started after the update that I only installed so I could get the FSD free trial. I held out so long because I didn't want the nags on regular AP. Anyways, rather than reboot the car everytime, I unplug the USB drive on the right side of the center console. I didn't realize a double scroll wheel reset would fix it until I found this forum. Good to know that I'm not alone but sucks that Tesla still hasn't fixed this. I wish we had a way to report it. It's obviously not everyone. For the record I have a 2019 with a gen 2.0 console swap.

• Informative
Reactions: aaron4126