Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed some lights “glow” more than others, not sure what this indicates. I’ve attached a poor quality photo to show what I mean. Maybe the system has higher confidence in detection of those lights?

E3D887BD-D331-4914-ADAC-9DC8EDA0F82F.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
btw, my 1st test last night was pulled over by the police. He was following me and pulled me over when AP got confused when the lane spilts with a bike lane. The car jerked so gave him cause to pull me over. He thought I was drunk because I was doing the speed limit and slowing down for green lights. No tickets. Just told me to be careful.

any car behavior that increases being pulled over by cops, I'm against. it could be risky behavior.

you might be able to explain it a way a few times to the cops. maybe. or maybe not. I would not want to find out.

I don't have fsd so I'm not going to have to worry about this, but this isn't exactly motivating me to GET fsd.

users need to be able to insist on certain base behavior. smoothness levels (no quick starts or stops, no quick changes - unless truly necessary). you should never have to explain that your car was doing something you didn't quite approve of.

It might have been mentioned but I’ve noticed if there is a flashing orange light, not a traffic light it seems to read the sign when you are basically under it. I get the warning on the screen, the car starts to stop, but then continues. Also I’ve noticed it’s only auto steer that is limited to the speed limit

It doesn't matter if people are a part of the EAP or not.....because included with the update itself is an email that explicitly states that this information is not to be discussed.

My concern is that Tesla may potentially kill the EAP program because "people" don't have the propensity to follow their rules. Here in TMC ( one of the largest Tesla forums on the planet ) we are continuing to break Tesla's rules.

Even if a person didn't get the email or didn't read the NDA....this thread points it out clearly that this discussion shouldn't be taking place.

If people want to risk getting kicked out of the early access program, I'm fine with that. Maybe they'll free up a slot that could be given to someone with a sense of discretion.

Not to mention Tesla still has yet to deliver on the promise that they were going to invite all of us early FSD buyers to the early access program… and the promise that we were going to get priority for the updates in the first place.

If people want to risk getting kicked out of the early access program, I'm fine with that. Maybe they'll free up a slot that could be given to someone with a sense of discretion.

Not to mention Tesla still has yet to deliver on the promise that they were going to invite all of us early FSD buyers to the early access program… and the promise that we were going to get priority for the updates in the first place.

I’m one of those that should have gotten early access or at least priority. I have absolutely no priority and since my HW3 upgrade it takes 2-3 days to get it after a roll out starts. It leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth, he just should never have said he’d do that. Under promise and over deliver is not exactly Elon’s motto.

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial

I'm still waiting for my toy model 3.

I suppose at this point - it ain't gonna happen.

I’m one of those that should have gotten early access or at least priority. I have absolutely no priority and since my HW3 upgrade it takes 2-3 days to get it after a roll out starts. It leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth, he just should never have said he’d do that. Under promise and over deliver is not exactly Elon’s motto.

Elon's expectation-setting is about the worst I've seen, on a consistent basis

Yes. This is within my own neighborhood. At two different T intersections. No stop sign. I infer map-based given that the warning begins 600 ft before and there doesn’t seem to be any way to infer from vision only that far away.

repeated on two separate days. Also, in other settings when approaching a T where a stop sign is present, I note that the stop sign visual is displayed. Note that the visual in the included photo is completely different.

Don’t claim to have seen all use cases. Just reporting my observations. hope that helps.
I stand corrected, thank you. I went out today with the car set to TACC and the car did stop at several neighborhood T Intersections. Stopped too soon compared to intersections with an actual stop sign but that will get better.
When I paid more attention to why it failed yesterday I realized the very short street I was on with only 4 houses was not supported by cruise control.

Is overall stopping more aggressive with it on vs off? Seems that when coming up to a red light with cars stopped in front it waits longer and stops more aggressively than when it is off. Seems when off it is a much smother and less aggressive stops. Has anyone tested this or is it just a subjective feeling I'm having?

any car behavior that increases being pulled over by cops, I'm against. it could be risky behavior.

you might be able to explain it a way a few times to the cops. maybe. or maybe not. I would not want to find out.

I don't have fsd so I'm not going to have to worry about this, but this isn't exactly motivating me to GET fsd.

users need to be able to insist on certain base behavior. smoothness levels (no quick starts or stops, no quick changes - unless truly necessary). you should never have to explain that your car was doing something you didn't quite approve of.

Its (Beta)...
There would never ever be FSD, if companies were not allowed to test.

If anyone is expecting a scenario where we have no form of autonomy one day, and suddenly perfectly functioning FSD the next day, you’re living in a dream world.

Is overall stopping more aggressive with it on vs off? Seems that when coming up to a red light with cars stopped in front it waits longer and stops more aggressively than when it is off. Seems when off it is a much smother and less aggressive stops. Has anyone tested this or is it just a subjective feeling I'm having?

I don’t know about on/off with cars ahead, but it’s not smooth in general and seems to be using a lot of friction braking instead of regen.

Reactions: aronth5
Rail Road crossings:

I don't ever remember my car slowing down at rail road crossings. My car slows down at rail road crossings.

Is that a secret gift in this update?

Mine will come to a complete stop at some railroad crossings now.

I have one on my commute that has the railroad lights above the road and are un-lit when no train is passing. The car sees them as normal traffic lights and will try to stop for them. I have to hit the stalk three or four times to get the car go through. I think that it is confused because they are un-lit.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200